Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BT fibre rollout  (Read 2317 times)

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
Re: BT fibre rollout
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 10:15:18 AM »

As per usual the BT get out clause 'up to'.
Thank you TD.
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 11:57:19 AM »

Gentlefolk,

Might I suggest a degree of caution with any press-related announcements as it's very easy to get things out of kilter ?

In this case:-

http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/s/2088166_town_joins_highspeed_broadband_network

according to SamKnows THGG has a total of 12,176 subscribers and:-

a)  not all cabinets are being FTTC enabled
b)  The area has its fair share of outliers and some of the dreaded aluminium with the usual mix of line performances.
c)  The exchange has LLU services from CPW, O2, Sky & C&W. Yes I know they could all go through the hell of migrating back to BT but that's highly improbable.

It's also nice to see the FTTC have turned yellow and have to be "contracted to households"

Kind regards,
Walter

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 12:37:52 PM »

Thank you Walter, however I feel BT PR has a lot to answer for. I keep visiting pages with the BT Infinity advert splashed all over it. It's not coming here any time soon. I do not take any press release as gospel even Sam Knows. One has to put it all in context and pick the bones if you like. My last post referred to BT's classic clause of 'up to' which was used in the link that TD posted.
I am not jumping on the bandwagon of get BT, alas I have my own thoughts and experiences of the broadband retail side.
Why on earth can't the PR people at BT print the plain truth about the state of the infrastructure with regards to unsuitable cabinets and wiring. Let the people know they will upgrade these as soon as they have the money flowing back in from the new outlay.

Oh dear my collar is feeling a little small now so I'll leave it there.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 08:36:03 PM »

Hi Colin II,

Purely as an exercise in writing accurate English I decided to let you enjoy those words once more.
I've no doubt we could try to burrow inside the Ofcom machine but my life is too short for that !

Kind regards,
Walter

BT Infinity ( ™ ) uses the latest in fibre optic broadband technology (which has actually been working well since the Cable companies started in the eighties) to deliver the internet at groundbreaking speeds (which nearly match Virgin’s at least as far as the BT PCPs). (Instead of As well as) sending electric signals through (the creaking) copper (and rotting aluminium D side) wires, BT Infinity sends information down a glass network at the speed of light (as far as the street cabinet, subject to internet contention and the capacity of the fibre routers etc.) giving you a faster, smoother online experience. It's future proof ( up to the cabinet entry point ) so you'll be able to enjoy ( all some of the data ) the internet has to offer.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 08:51:37 PM by waltergmw »

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 08:40:13 AM »

;D ;D ;D

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 09:21:46 AM »

:lol:
Very good Walter, however knowledgeable users already know most of that. To put shiny spin on their attempts to catch up with the cable companies just adds to poor image that I already have about the company.
I wasn't meaning they should be so forth coming but they could leave the bits out that border on lying, and stop quoting speeds that all but the very minority of users could receive.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 12:29:11 PM »

to the intended forum :-[
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 05:21:16 PM by renluop »