Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11

Author Topic: FTTC- Possible REIN Issues?  (Read 63701 times)

magicone

Re: FTTC- Possible REIN Issues?
« Reply #135 on: April 04, 2011, 08:14:06 PM »

Hi Ezzer,

Thanks very much for your explanation.

The SFI trained REIN engineer came back for an hour on Friday but was unable to find the REIN. I have not seen him since and have a feeling I am going to have to chase my ISP again. As you have mentioned it costs BT time and money to send out the REIN engineer and the 6 others they have sent previously. IF they are unable to find it I may ask if I can cancel my connection as otherwise my connection will constantly have DLM activated, with periods where there are dropouts or the connection is below BT's acceptable range.

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #136 on: April 04, 2011, 08:29:56 PM »

Thanks Walter, unforunately health was one of the main reasons I've been off the scene. Not quite 100% yet but getting there. Also some other big life changing stuff. missed being on this site.

magicone

« Reply #137 on: April 05, 2011, 09:13:40 AM »

Just had an update this morning, BT have closed my case as they can't find the fault even though the REIN occurs on a daily basis from 10am -6pm.  >:(

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #138 on: April 05, 2011, 09:41:10 AM »

@ Magicone,

You have to get your case re-opened by your ISP. It's standard practice to close down jobs that aren't challenged.

Kind regards,
Walter

magicone

« Reply #139 on: April 05, 2011, 10:21:56 AM »

@ Magicone,

You have to get your case re-opened by your ISP. It's standard practice to close down jobs that aren't challenged.

Kind regards,
Walter

Hi Walter,

I have asked for my ISP to reopen the case but I can't see why BT have closed it, I have issues every single day so there is always a fault with my line.
DLM has been active on my line for almost 4 weeks now which means my I.P profile has dropped by more than half. I can chase my ISP on a daily basis but I don't know why BT can't just keep the case open until the fault is found i.e the source of the REIN.

Cheers

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #140 on: April 05, 2011, 11:13:34 AM »

The problem here is that REIN isn't a line fault, it's external interference. As Ezzer said, to some extent it can be said that when BT investigate REIN, it's a charitable action on their part because they aren't the cause of the problem. However frustrating it is for the customer, it's not really surprising that BT try to close down these investigations.
  Eric

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #141 on: April 05, 2011, 11:28:29 AM »

Ezzer/Eric are correct magicone.

If we (Openreach) have 'proved' that the MPF passes a Pair Quality Test, have fitted a RF3 filter and a NTE2000 SSFP, then there's not much else 'we' can, or more specifically, have to do. The source of the fluctuations is external to our equipment, and 'we' have ensured our plant meets the relevant criteria.

As I've said before, because you are  a lone soldier charity will only stretch so far. ;)  ;), nudge nudge.

magicone

« Reply #142 on: April 05, 2011, 11:43:57 AM »

I am not blaming BT at all as the cause of my issue is from an external source and I understand that BT can only spend so much time on my case. At the moment apart from my upload speed my FTTC connection is not really an improvement over my old ADSL2+ connection as my download speed and pings are pretty much the same as what I used to get with O2 but I am paying 4 times the price. If BT are not willing to send out the REIN engineer again I would hope both BTW and my ISP will let me terminate my contract so I can move over to Virgin cable which is unaffected by REIN.

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum
« Reply #143 on: April 05, 2011, 11:46:11 AM »

I don't know why BT can't just keep the case open until the fault is found i.e the source of the REIN.

Because the REIN engineer has not been able to identify any REIN fault :

The SFI trained REIN engineer came back for an hour on Friday but was unable to find the REIN.

coolsnakeman

• Reg Member
    • IT Support Belfast
« Reply #144 on: April 05, 2011, 12:31:37 PM »

Hey,

Just on that note BTW normally leave the fault open for 5 days after an engineer has attended to give the SP a chance to get back to them after talking to the customer if the issue is still the same. Then what happens after that is the fault is rejected by the SP and sent back to BTW for more investigation.

Regards
Gary

coolsnakeman

• Reg Member
    • IT Support Belfast
« Reply #145 on: April 05, 2011, 12:33:29 PM »

P.S There is a chance BTW may start to reject any faults being logged by the SP if they have grounds proving all troubleshooting has been exchausted if this is the case then your snookered and you will have to find the source of REIN yourself by talking to your neighbours and the surrounding area getting everyone involved.

magicone

« Reply #146 on: April 06, 2011, 10:38:03 PM »

New fault has been raised under code GEA503, just waiting for my isp to hear back from BTW.

magicone

« Reply #147 on: April 08, 2011, 05:59:40 PM »

New fault has been raised under code GEA503, just waiting for my isp to hear back from BTW.

Absolutely fuming now.

BT have got back to my SP and stated they don't now believe the issue is to do with REIN. They have reset the circuit to see what it can support and nothing else can be done until the stabilisation period is up . My ISP will then have to then log another fault so the download profile can be reset to 40 Meg, which will just kill my connection like it has done 4 times before when my downstream profile was reset.

I have insisted my SP go back to BT and insist a REIN engineer is sent out otherwise we will be going in circles.

If I don't receive a positive response I will be joining Virgin and using my fibre connection as a backup.

magicone

« Reply #148 on: August 14, 2011, 05:33:23 PM »

Just thought I'd update the thread as it's been a while.Unfortunately it's been over 7 months now and the source of the REIN has still not been located. After numerous visits from BTOR(>15 to date) including 3 visits from the SFI trained REIN engineer BT are now refusing to send anyone out as my speed is within 'acceptable limits' even though my download profile drops down by almost 15 Meg as the REIN causes havoc with DLM.

The crux of the issue is that BTOR don't have the resource available locally to be able to locate the REIN, well from what I have seen anyway. The REIN engineer that has visited the property has only had basic training and getting a fully fledged REIN engineer is nigh impossible.

I've resigned myself to the fact that it's highly unlikely that the source of the REIN is going to be found and with around a month left of my current contract I have no other choice but to move to Virgin. It's a shame really as when the connection works properly it's excellent with speeds near 37 Meg down and very low latency which I don't think I will get with Virgin.

I hope if anyone else around my area has problem with REIN they have better luck finding the source.

Cheers

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #149 on: August 14, 2011, 05:55:14 PM »

@ Magicone,

Perhaps your situation might pose the question of long-term reliability of FTTC over twisted pairs more generally?

Just to cheer you on your way, this is what my VM service purports to provide but I think it might be over-egging the pudding a bit !

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1432483142.png

Kind regards,
walter

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11