Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Rural broadband  (Read 2196 times)

Lucibee

• Just arrived
Rural broadband
« on: February 24, 2011, 09:41:54 AM »

I was recently sparked into action when AOL (TalkTalk) increased my broadband subscription costs by 40% in January 2011. After much to-ing and fro-ing, and talking BT, BTw, Ofcom, my MP, and complaining to AOL, I have discovered quite a few things of which I was previously (and blissfully) unaware.

In short, AOL's reasons for the increase are that they no longer wish to "subsidise" rural (market 1) customers, and were now charging cost price. They are also going to stop offering broadband-only packages. I've noticed quite a few other ISPs doing this too. This is great news if you want a cheap bundles, and don't care about quality - but rubbish if you care about speed and quality and want a dedicated broadband service.

I was thus previously unaware that we now have a two-tier pricing system in the UK. This not only depends on what sort of service you want, but also where you live - which is why I went to my MP - I find the latter situation to be unfair, and wanted to know what could be done about it. His assistant seemed to think that LLU was the answer to everything - but at an exchange as tiny as ours (~200 residencies), I very much doubt it! There was also a suggestion of using public funds to enable another provider via LLU at our exchange, but I feel this might be a retrograde step, and it would be unlikely to improve things. As far as I can tell, even if this were possible (and I suspect it is not), it would only benefit those who want a cheap and dirty BB connection bundled in with their phone, and it might even set back any future upgrades to the infrastructure (NGA) in our area. I very much doubt that it would encourage the likes of AOL TalkTalk to lower their prices, unless of course they were the ISP paid to become the LLU provider.

Just wondered what you guys thought...

Thanks

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: Rural broadband
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 09:58:30 AM »

Using public funds would not I think be very welcomed by most people.

You can go with any IP stream ISP from your exchange.

Cost are rising across most isp's and tbh you get whet you pay for.Yes you will probably get cheaper bundled packages from the big players,but the downside of this is poor customer service/support.

Lucibee

• Just arrived
Re: Rural broadband
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 10:09:30 AM »

Forgot to add the most important bit... will Ofcom's latest proposals on rural broadband help or hinder?

http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/2011/01/better-value-broadband-in-rural-areas/

http://www.itproportal.com/2011/01/20/ofcom-rural-broadband-decision-may-cause-prices-rise/

Personally, I think it is a sticking-plaster approach that might even lead to BT putting their retail prices up in market 1 to compensate for the losses they make on the wholesale price going down (even though they are not supposed to do this).

anything