Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Guess who's been stupid  (Read 9300 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Guess who's been stupid
« on: September 16, 2007, 04:27:43 PM »

I had a bright idea today. Because of a couple of hardware error messages during booting (caused by known BIOS bugs) I thought it would be a good idea to upgrade the BIOS. I downloaded the latest version and the upgrade program, put them on a bootable floppy, and did the upgrade, making sure that I kept a copy of the original version so I could revert if necessary.

The wretched thing wouldn't boot from the hard disk any more :'( :'( :'(

I reinstalled the original BIOS and still it wouldn't boot from the HD.

I dug out the OS installation CD and used it to repair the bootloader. Still it wouldn't boot from the HD.

I installed a different Linux distro on a spare partition. This wouldn't boot either.

I've fiddled with BIOS settings, installed and reinstalled BIOSes, all to no avail.

In desperation I removed the hard disk and put it in another PC, and it worked. That's what I'm using now while I ponder what to do with the other machine (the one I built a few months ago and was so proud of).

There's going to be a sign on the study wall from now on, saying "DON'T TRY TO UPDATE THE BIOS!!!"
  Eric

Pwiggler

• Kitizen
Re: Guess who's been stupid
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007, 04:43:12 PM »

oh dear eric, i'm so sorry to hear of your loss  :(

i take it u have loaded bios defaults?

have u checked that the hdd is detected in the bios??  if it is, check the boot sequence and try trapping F8 as soon as it turned on to get a boot menu and select the hdd from the list.

good luck !
Paul

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 05:00:35 PM »

Yes, thanks Paul, I've done all those things. Everything in the BIOS setup is quite normal, and the HD is recognised, with the right parameters.
  Eric

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2007, 05:19:33 PM »

How weird... presumably if the hard disk is booting in another PC then it would appear to be nothing to do with the bootloader or the MBR.

Presumably you've cleared the CMOS using the jumper on the motherboard? Are you sure you've got the BIOS for the correct revision of your motherboard (if that's an issue?)

Apart from that, I'm pretty much out of ideas.
Chris

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2007, 06:47:04 PM »

>>> Presumably you've cleared the CMOS using the jumper on the motherboard?

I haven't actually tried that, so I will, thanks.

>>> Are you sure you've got the BIOS for the correct revision of your motherboard (if that's an issue?)

Pretty sure. It's an Asus M2V, and the Asus site doesn't list different revisions. There are varieties called M2V plus other letters, but mine is just plain M2V.
  Eric

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2007, 07:21:56 PM »

>>> Presumably you've cleared the CMOS using the jumper on the motherboard?

I haven't actually tried that, so I will, thanks.

Chris beat me to it, but you may have to clear the CMOS with the power turned OFF.

(Some do, Some don't)

Good luck.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2007, 09:47:25 PM »

oh $*@%

nightmare  :'(

I really hope you manage to get it sorted .
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2007, 10:42:25 PM »

I did try updating a 486 a long time ago, but I killed it and could not recover it, so I leave Bios updates well alone now.

Good luck with it.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2007, 06:46:39 AM »

You're absolutely right Michael. I didn't have to do this one - the boot error messages were really only cosmetic and didn't affect the functioning of the machine.

Anyway, I tried clearing the BIOS as Chris suggested, but it still made no difference. The thing seems to have lost the ability to boot from the hard disk. I decided to waste no more time on it, and I've ordered a replacement motherboard which should arrive today. I could have bought a replacement BIOS chip, but I don't think I have a lot of faith in the companies supplying these.
  Eric

Pwiggler

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2007, 07:48:18 AM »

i fitted my new mb and gfx card last night.  the old agp slot was too sloppy to hold the gfx card and was getting coloured blocks on the screen and crashing so went for a pci-e board.  only took 15 mins to swap the bits over and to my amazement, on 1st boot xp loaded without bsod'in !!

loaded all revevant driver and it was ok.

i went for my shower etc and the missis asked 'can i use it now' ..... 'yeah it working ok ' i replied and i went downstairs to crack a beer open.

10 mins later i heard her call 'it gone again'.  i went up stairs to see a 2 inch wide picture on the monitor  :(

damd monitor's knackered now!!!!!

anyone got a spare????

Paul

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2007, 09:11:46 AM »

Oh dear, computers do like to bite you on the bum from time to time, don't they? :'(
  Eric

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2007, 09:16:22 AM »

Pwiggler, secondhand CRT monitors are pretty cheap if you're not too fussy.  If you look around you should be able to pick up a 17" one for about 15 quid.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Pwiggler

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2007, 10:15:46 AM »

yeah cheers floydy, just had a look at my local pc shop ...... they're sellin 2nd user 17" crts for £19 + vat with a 28 day warranty.

its either that or pinch my daughters monitor (or swap em coz they're the same monitor HOO HA HA HAHA )

Paul

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2007, 12:11:21 PM »

You could try your local small ads paper too.

My local Cash Converters always have monitors going for about 15. :)
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2007, 01:47:41 PM »

My new motherboard arrived this morning, and I'm pleased to say that my poorly PC is now well again. Another lesson learned.
  Eric
Pages: [1] 2