Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Phone line snagged  (Read 9756 times)

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
Re: Phone line snagged
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2011, 07:47:11 AM »

TD trundles off to change user name to tufteddrake.  :D

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2011, 08:04:44 AM »

Quick update.

Neighbour relented yesterday after hearing the amount BT would charge to rectify problen, and has removed offending branch.

All sweetness and light again.. :clap2:

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2011, 08:11:11 AM »

Splendid news TD,

If only all our problems could be so amicably resolved !

Kind regards,
Walter

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2011, 09:45:32 AM »

Good news indeed. :thumbs:
  Eric

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2011, 10:11:30 PM »

I thought that would change his mind. :)

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2011, 07:39:12 PM »

Reminds me of a dropwire that went through 18 trees and along the flow of a brook with steep embankments. So I found a better new route off another pole. Knocked on a nearby door to ask if it was their cars parked allround a pole and would they be so kind to move one. Was told in no uncertain terms (quite theatening in fact) that there would be "measures" taken if we tried to access said pole on their property. It was on common ground but turns out that this family were "known" localy and use this common ground as their personal carpark/scrapheap.

couldn't cut and draw the original cable as by now it was tightly zig-zaging through branches. So had to do an interesting bit of what could be best described as giants crochet. Using 6-9m long rods as the needle. I try to leave more slack on drop wire through trees to allow some years of tree growth before it tightly bears up again on the dw. Hadn't seen the sleeves you mentioned Razpag. Are they new over the last 12 months ?

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2011, 08:20:16 PM »

Hi Ezzer

Probably nearer the 2yr old mark, if my failing memory serves. ;D

I believe someone got quite a monetary award for the 'New idea', which is basically a 'cable tidy' wrap-a-round piece of flexible plastic. It is now a defect if you route a DW through trees and dont use the protection sleeves.

PS .... cheers for the laymans description on REIN on the other thread. Are you based near Manchester by any chance Ezzer ??

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2011, 10:19:37 AM »

Reminds me of a dropwire that went through 18 trees and along the flow of a brook with steep embankments. So I found a better new route off another pole. Knocked on a nearby door to ask if it was their cars parked allround a pole and would they be so kind to move one. Was told in no uncertain terms (quite theatening in fact) that there would be "measures" taken if we tried to access said pole on their property. It was on common ground but turns out that this family were "known" localy and use this common ground as their personal carpark/scrapheap.

couldn't cut and draw the original cable as by now it was tightly zig-zaging through branches. So had to do an interesting bit of what could be best described as giants crochet. Using 6-9m long rods as the needle. I try to leave more slack on drop wire through trees to allow some years of tree growth before it tightly bears up again on the dw. Hadn't seen the sleeves you mentioned Razpag. Are they new over the last 12 months ?

That's an inetersting attititude on the part of the land 'owner' (which i say in quotes as he's evidently not actually the owner anyway.   :(

We have some BT poles on our land, as well as considerable lengths of underground ducting and junction boxes.  I didn't think the wayleave agreement allows us to say 'No' if BT want access.  In fact in an amergency, I think BT can just walk into the garden unannounced, without notice andwithout even our agreement.  I suppose that's little consolation though, if some nasty thug of a householder is threatining to unleash the rottwielers.    :o

It's probably the underground ducting that worries me most as I like planting trees.  The wayleave requires me to avoid planting trees over the ducting, but I have no accurate map of the exact path that the ducting takes.

I also worry about rumoured recent changes requiring BT to share their ducts with other suppliers.  By and large, I've always found the BT guys to be fully co-operative any time they needed access, and to cause minimal disruption.   But I wonder if the same good manners can be expected of whatever other (potential) cowboys are granted access to these ducts!?

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2011, 10:46:41 AM »

@ 7LM,

I expect that BT O will insist on charging to add any further cables to their ducts, whether they actually do the work or they employ a subcontractor.
In any case I don't think anybody without code powers would be allowed anywhere near ducts etc.
Mind you that didn't stop BT installing FTTC cabinets in a conservation area of Muswell Hill and then having to move some of them when planning permission was refused.

Kind regards,
Walter
Pages: 1 [2]

anything