Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Speedtest.net  (Read 2789 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Speedtest.net
« on: September 16, 2007, 09:36:05 AM »

Has anyone had any eractic speedtests recently?Tested a couple of days ago 13223 kbps downstream,382 upstream,again today 2124 downstream,382 upstream.Usually my test are between 960 kbps and 1176kbps downstream and 380 to 383 upstream.When it does the downstream test it last about a second but before it used to take about 30 seconds,the upstream test is still the same.I only get 1mb so something is not right.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Speedtest.net
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007, 10:24:13 AM »

I just tried it and got a sensible result. There's obviously something wrong with your results if the downstream test only took a second or so, but I've no idea what it could be I'm afraid. Perhaps you could try http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/ and see if that works normally.
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 10:47:40 AM »

Hi,just done a bbmax test   1117 down,379 up,never had a problem with bbmax.My IP profile is 1000kb so is that test about right?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2007, 11:50:54 AM »

Spot on I would say.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2007, 09:25:10 PM »

The speedtest.net tester is working spot on here for me... however funny enough last week  I did see on another forum that someone had achieved several results that were more than what an 8Mb connection was capable of when using the speedtest.net tester.

There have been a couple of times when Ive had weird results on some testers.. I think sometimes its possible that your browser may cache the test file and therefore the test performs a lot quicker than it should be recording.  (Most testers time how long it takes for you to receive a .jpg file - speedtest.net certainly does)

Also the other possibility is that most speed tests involve a 2 part process...  the first part is a very quick analysis to see how fast your connection possibly is -  which then instructs the main part of the test what size test file to send.  If the test file sent is too small then you will get some very inaccurate results.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

anything