Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Connection Problem  (Read 5970 times)

Cybercamel

Re: Connection Problem
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2011, 09:41:08 AM »

Thanks for the replies. The odd things are not that odd, if taken individually, but these have all happened in the last week and a bit. Firstly, a very poor Internet connection, that Talk Talk can't seem to find a solution to, although, fingers crossed it's working at the moment. Then I got a phone call from O2 broadband claiming that someone had rung from my number enquiring about their services, no-one had. Also someone rung up asking for another person, the number she had been given was mine. And last night a message left on my answer phone that is quite clearly a spam phone call but I can hear what appears to be two other people having a conversation. If you take these things individually they wouldn't be unusual, but all in the last week or so? Or am I just becoming paranoid?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 11:33:44 PM by Cybercamel »

Cybercamel

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2011, 10:46:57 AM »

Oh yes, and I musn't forget this! I only have one PC on my Network, unless my iPhone is included, which it shouldn't be.

PS At the moment my 3G connection is twice as fast as my Broadband!

[attachment deleted by admin]

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2011, 05:31:54 PM »

Hi
Are you using wireless connection?
Regards Jeff
zen user

Cybercamel

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2011, 05:59:40 PM »

I am yes.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2011, 07:47:47 PM »

@ Cybercamel,

If the "odd things" are cross talk then one reason could be crossed pairs or shorts between one leg on different pairs.

I've no doubt RazPag can give us a veritable encyclopaedia of such war stories !

Kind regards,
Walter

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2011, 08:40:24 PM »

@ Cybercamel,

If the "odd things" are cross talk then one reason could be crossed pairs or shorts between one leg on different pairs.

I've no doubt RazPag can give us a veritable encyclopaedia of such war stories !

Kind regards,
Walter

That an invite Walter, or an indication I tend to drawl on ... ??  ;D ;D

Cybercamel ..... those "Odd things" could be a result of umpteen scenario's. But, if you can actually hear other 2-way conversations, and your number appears to be the CLI (Customer Line Identifier) when other EU's utilise the 1471 facility to see who's called whilst they were out etc, I would hazard a guess at 'Double-jumpered' in the exchange.
Easy done, as there are thousands of terminations on LIC blocks and the ports are close enough together to accidentally connect to another working circuit. Of course, as well as completely screwing up your DSL, you will get the 'Overhearing' scenario you mention if you lift the handset when the other person is on their phone. Unfortunately, when the SP test your line, if the other party are NOT using the phone line, the result will come back LTOK (Line Tests OK) . The only giveaway that something is wrong will be the line length (presented in Km's). Whereas your line will be usually 3Km (as an example), it would now show something like 12Km.
If the SP doesn't cross-check what your base-line attenuation, or line-length was when the line was first installed, and then compare it to the present time line test,then it can be easily overlooked and the job closed off as LTOK.

Walters deductions are of course quite correct, and the same scenario he relates to ("shorts between one leg on different pairs") , could happen if 2 dropwires at the DP get trapped/crushed together in the lid when the engineer puts it back on. Thus, culminating in both 'live' legs (-50v) being in contact with one another and you will have the 'Overhearing' situation again. However, on this type of fault, as just 1-leg is affected, the line test would return a '50v battery contact' fault.

There's plenty more, but I shall refrain for the sake of the DG. :-X

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2011, 08:40:33 PM »

Hi
Is your wireless connection properly secured ?. Have you changed your router password from the default.?
Regards Jeff
zen user

Cybercamel

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2011, 11:32:58 PM »

Wow you guys really know your stuff, you lost me at Hello!  :)

Razpag, thanks for all the info, I think I get what you are saying, basically the only way I'm going to be able to tell is through the line length, is there any easy way of doing that? I'm only about 2-3 km from the exchange. My line attenuation shows as 19.2db, is that relevant? I've saved the message I have on my answering machine, there is definitely a conversation going on over the message that's been left!

Jeff, just recently changed my router because I thought that was what the problem was initially. I had an old wep secured one which needed changing anyway, so I've now got a new WPA2-PSK secured router and only just set the password myself, so it's not the default one.

This is the longest I've been now in nearly 2 weeks with a connection, almost 24 hours with just one 10min drop at 10am today, but I'm only getting about 3000kbps downstream, oddly I'm getting over 1000kbps upstream which I've never seen before.

Thanks everyone for all your help so far.

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2011, 10:52:26 AM »

Razpag, thanks for all the info, I think I get what you are saying, basically the only way I'm going to be able to tell is through the line length, is there any easy way of doing that? I'm only about 2-3 km from the exchange. My line attenuation shows as 19.2db, is that relevant? I've saved the message I have on my answering machine, there is definitely a conversation going on over the message that's been left!

I am not sure if this is any help but may give some idea and you could recheck Attenuation when you have the fault.

19.2. = 1.4km
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php

Then put your info in here and see what lengths it states:
http://www.skyuser.co.uk/tools/exchangechecker.php

By road will be most likely.

OT
Wow Razpag you are good.

My stats:
Road length = 1.1 mi = 1.78 kilometres
32dB = 2.3 kilometres
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 11:08:26 AM by BritBrat »

Cybercamel

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2011, 01:11:33 PM »

Thanks BritBrat, according to those sites I'm 0.97km by road and 0.58km directly.

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2011, 06:46:45 PM »

Brit Brat  :-[ :-[ ......... been doing the job for coming up 25yrs in July. If I didn't know a little bit, I would have been tin-tacked by now.  ;D ;D I don't know what you 'do' as a living, but I'm pretty sure you could give a decent account of yourself if we were to have an open discussion about it ??!!

Don't get me wrong, I've learnt a wealth of info from Boards akin to these, but none more-so than Kitz itself. I PM'd 'The Leader' a few weeks ago to thank and congratulate her on having such a fine and educated site thats available to everyone. Righty-o ..... tis' Friday, fish and chips demolished, time for a glass or two of my local Spars finest wine.  :P

Cybercamel

« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2011, 09:28:14 PM »

Ok, thanks to everyone again. I have now had the internet up and running for about 48 hours now. I've had the BT man out, who has checked the line with nothing found, so all appears to be right in my little world again, I guess I was being a little paranoid. My broadband speed isn't up to old levels yet, but the TalkTalk man said that would happen over the next week or so.

So hopefully that it's for now, see you guys the next time!  ;)

Mark.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything