Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: FairFuelUK  (Read 11193 times)

CurlyWhirly

• Reg Member
Re: FairFuelUK
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2011, 09:01:22 PM »

When green alternatives for petrol and all the other products that come from oil can make OPEC rich then the Green Vote will make headway. In the mean time It's high time the UK residents paid a fair price for fuel as does the rest of Europe.
We pay more in the UK than most of Europe !

I wonder if the next fuel duty hike will go ahead in April ?

News on this has gone quiet  :-\

If it does go ahead then it will add aprox 5p a litre as the planned rise is inflation plus 1p

This was announced in Alistair Darlings last budget last year and so is nothing to do with the coalition government although they can stop it going ahead if they want to.
Mike

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2011, 10:14:20 PM »

so called climate change scientists were found out in a leaked e-mail that they delibrately spiced up the climate change forecasts !
You've been reading the Daily Mail again.  :lol:

CurlyWhirly

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2011, 11:03:02 PM »

so called climate change scientists were found out in a leaked e-mail that they delibrately spiced up the climate change forecasts !
You've been reading the Daily Mail again.  :lol:
Yes but I also read it in other papers and it was on the news as well  ;)
Mike

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2011, 11:18:28 PM »

Just because a few over-enthusiastic scientists decided to spice up the story, that doesn't mean that the climate change science is wrong. The overwhelming majority of climatologists are united in the belief that the earth is warming up at an unprecedented rate, and human activities are a major cause of the warm-up. There's really no doubt at all about this; the only area of doubt is in the details, such as how many years it will be before we get to the crisis point.

If we were to do nothing to scale back our carbon and other emissions, in the not very distant future the earth will suffer an environmental disaster. It won't be us who suffer it - we'll all be dead by then - but our descendants will curse us, and rightly so.
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2011, 07:40:57 AM »

Fuel Prices across Europe and the USA

http://www.theaa.com/onlinenews/allaboutcars/fuel/2011/january2011.pdf

*USA.......51p per litre*

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2011, 09:15:54 AM »

Just because a few over-enthusiastic scientists decided to spice up the story, that doesn't mean that the climate change science is wrong.
Indeed. But if it's convenient to you to want to ignore it, any little contrary tit-bit you can cling on to will be given totally inappropriate significance.   :police:

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2011, 09:55:32 AM »

Oh yes, the action of those people was a gift to climate change sceptics, out of all proportion to its real significance.
  Eric

scottiesmum

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2011, 10:31:42 AM »

Fuel prices in our area  vary with the type of service station  ....ie., supermarket, private garages, autoroute service stations.       We use gasoil (diesel) and at the moment pay 1€ 28 centimes per litre  (about £1.07p per litre)   this is causing rumblings here  !!   There is a special price for lorries (but I'm not sure what it is)  used for delivering foodstuffs etc ...  to assist with the  effect on prices.   Gasoil is quite  a lot cheaper than petrol.  Most garages also offer the GPL  (Liquid petrol gas)  which   is cheaper still at about 80 centimes a litre.   There is also a noticeable increase in electric cars with facilities in a lot of the bigger towns and cities.     Current rate of inflation here is 1.7% .  

« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 10:41:11 AM by scottiesmum »

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2011, 11:35:00 AM »

Doesn't seem our MP's are that bothered...Still if you can claim it all back on expenses why would you be. :angry:

http://www.fairfueluk.com/quentins_blog.php?entry_id=1298195925
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 11:40:43 AM by UncleUB »

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2011, 12:29:25 PM »

There is also a noticeable increase in electric cars
Indeed, alternatives will surface in reponse to the inevitable rise in oil-based fuel prices.  :graduate:

scottiesmum

« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2011, 01:31:14 PM »

There has been a 'surge' ,  pun intended ,   ;D  in solar powered energy here with extremely generous offers from the government to encourage householders.  For example, solar panels on house roofs are being promoted whereby the householder can choose to have panels installed, the government pays half of the cost,  average roughly 22,000 €uros . The electricity produced will be offset against their power bills, any excess being paid directly into their bank account  ......  OR ....... the Government will offer a lump sum   (approx 8000 Euros )  which is paid into a bank account, the same bank then arranges a credit ( loan)  to the householder who then have the solar panels installed;   the householder doesn't pay anything directly to the bank, the electric their installation produces is bought by EDF who send the funds to the bank to pay off the loan.  Once the loan is repaid in full  - 8 years average,   the funds are then paid directly  to the householders bank account.  The solar panels replace part of the tiled roof, they  don't give a detrimental look to the property,  a  combined survey by EDF and the Solar panel company is made obviously before any installation is agreed.

Most of the 'street lighting'  (we don't have any in our rural area)  but I've noticed on main roads and auto routes, are solar powered; and more recently in the Poitou region the trains have been fitted with solar panelled roofs producing the necessary power for lighting etc., within the train  ......   I managed to find this is English  for anyone interested   .....   http://fwd4.me/w75    ......   

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2011, 03:32:27 PM »

If climate-change is a future threat, then why aren't the only 2 countries who could make a difference not signed up to it ?? USA and China.

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2011, 03:42:44 PM »

Because it isn't affecting then enough!
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2011, 03:43:13 PM »

;D ;D

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2011, 09:27:26 PM »

I've a feeling I'm going to regret commenting on this one, but I'll risk it, with no offence intended to earlier comments...  :)

The overwhelming majority of climatologists are united in the belief that the earth is warming up at an unprecedented rate, and human activities are a major cause of the warm-up.
It is my understanding that climatology is a relatively new qualification at most institutions and so it's reasonable to assume that many climatologists chose their careers after already developing an interest in global warming.  That being the case, it's hardly surprising that they are united in the belief that global warming is 'true'.  UFO-ologists are largely united in a belief that aliens are all around us, but it doesn't mean they're right.

I personally think it is right to question the warming theories, and to be open minded to the possibilities that the whole thing is a huge and very expensive mistake, and a bandwagon on which the politicians have jumped because it conveniently allows them to bring in a whole proliferation of taxes to 'save the planet'.

Maybe global warming theories are true, and maybe they're not.  I try to remain open-minded and I just haven't seen nearly enough (unbiassed) scientific evidence to convince me one way or the other.  Whereas I have seen plenty of evidence of governments and private entrepreneurs alike, cynically seizing the opportunity to make a fast-buck out the whole thing.  That exploitation, it seems to me, is the only thing we can be certain of at this point of scientific understanding.

Now crossing my fingers that I don't regret 'stirring' things    :D
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4