Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: FairFuelUK  (Read 11171 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: FairFuelUK
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2011, 10:46:51 PM »

I have read quite extensively a lot of serious literature on the subject, and there's no doubt in my mind. If anything, governments have been trying to get the scientists to scale back their estimates, not exaggerate them. Certainly there are lots of commercial interests trying to make money out of climate change, but that doesn't mitigate against the fact that it's happening. Of course it's not certain - nothing is - but overwhelming probability should be enough. The bottom line is that we can't afford to wait and see;  if, as most climatologists believe, we are heading for an environmental crisis, it will be too late if we do nothing for a few more years.
  Eric

CurlyWhirly

• Reg Member
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2011, 10:56:20 PM »

I have read quite extensively a lot of serious literature on the subject, and there's no doubt in my mind. If anything, governments have been trying to get the scientists to scale back their estimates, not exaggerate them. Certainly there are lots of commercial interests trying to make money out of climate change, but that doesn't mitigate against the fact that it's happening. Of course it's not certain - nothing is - but overwhelming probability should be enough. The bottom line is that we can't afford to wait and see;  if, as most climatologists believe, we are heading for an environmental crisis, it will be too late if we do nothing for a few more years.
I am sceptical of climate change, however, as we are not sure whether it really is happening or not then I wonder why alternatives haven't made it on to the market like for example hydrogen powered cars ?

If climate change is happening then I wonder why the last 2 winters have been the harshest since records began ?  :-\
Mike

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2011, 11:04:01 PM »

If climate change is happening then I wonder why the last 2 winters have been the harshest since records began ?

Climate and weather are two different things. While the global average temperature is increasing (climate change) the weather in different places can vary enormously. In fact it's the case that, as the global temperature rises, weather conditions become more chaotic. So we can expect more extremes of weather as time goes on.
  Eric

CurlyWhirly

• Reg Member
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2011, 11:14:40 PM »

If climate change is happening then I wonder why the last 2 winters have been the harshest since records began ?

Climate and weather are two different things. While the global average temperature is increasing (climate change) the weather in different places can vary enormously. In fact it's the case that, as the global temperature rises, weather conditions become more chaotic. So we can expect more extremes of weather as time goes on.
Thanks, I didn't know that  :)
Mike

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2011, 12:10:49 AM »

Many, if not most, most of the variations and extremes in UK wind and rainfall are due to positioning of the Jetstream, which naturally drifts around over Northern Europe, sometimes to the North of the UK, and sometimes to the South.  The Jetstream, for example, was almost certainly responsible for the deluge suffered in Boscastle a few year years ago, I'm not aware of any serious attempt to associate that event with global warming theories.   

There's also the North Atlantic Oscillation, and possible influence of the Pacific Decadal Oscillation, which together may largely explain why we've had two extreme winters on the trot, and may predict that we can expect a few more of the same before getting back to mild winters again as the pendulum swings slowly back.

Considering the influence that these age-old variations have on our weather, I find it frustrating how rarely, if ever, they are mentioned on UK forecasts or weather reports.  If you visit the USA, in contrast, you'll the position of 'The Jet' is regularly shown on TV.   I sometimes wonder whether the fact that the USA folks tend to be better-informed of these entirely natural factors may explain why they are less easily convinced of more sinister explanations?

As I think Eric implies, we won't half regret it if we disregard the climatologists then, in 50 years time, it turns out they were right.   I don't want to risk that, so let's not disregard them, but let's also remain open-minded that they may also be wrong, and let's ensure that our reactions to their theories are proportionate to the uncertainties in their science?

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2011, 07:10:44 AM »

Everyone has a right to their view and should be free to express it. We live in a democratic society in the UK & the majority of English speaking countries.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 07:21:12 AM by silversurfer44 »
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2011, 07:35:47 AM »

Of course, yes.
  Eric

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2011, 08:59:05 AM »

If you visit the USA, in contrast, you'll the position of 'The Jet' is regularly shown on TV. 

In fact I've seen quite a few British weather forecasts recently where it's been shown and given as the explanation for prolonged periods of particular weather.

That said, the sheer size of the USA probably also makes it more relevant to their overview.

And don't forget, though it's easy to do so, that our recent extreme events have generally been matched by the (less obvious/less reported) opposite happening elsewhere. The overall worldwide trend is most definitely warming up and supported by all the data. As explained earlier Climate is not weather.  ;)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2011, 09:18:00 AM »

Everyone has a right to their view and should be free to express it. We live in a democratic society in the UK & the majority of English speaking countries.

On that at least, I hope we all agree   :)

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2011, 09:20:14 AM »

I will agree that the climate is changing, however not all of it is by man made activities. In fact I would say a fair bit of it is down to the way that climate around our planet works. If it were stable then we would not have had climate changes in the history of this dear planet. Whilst mankind certainly made a great change during and after the industrial revolution to modern day I fear it all began when mankind discovered that he could make fire. What will be will be, that's not to say we should go on polluting the atmosphere, we should not. What's to say that in the future mankind will not have found a way to control the climate.? Too far fetched, I don't think so.

That's my two pennyworth on the subject.
Colin No.2
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2011, 09:51:19 AM »

I think I've stated all my own views on climate and weather and I don't want to repeat for fear of sending everybody to sleep, so I'll say no more on the science.

On the subject of healthy scientific scepticism, were you aware that one of the purposes of the american 'Pioneer' spacecraft of the 1970s was to 'test' Newton's laws of motion to a degree of accuracy which had never before been possible?

The point I make is that, despite confidence gained over hundreds of years, and having established a society who's every technology is completely dependant on the Newtonian laws, NASA were still free to continue to test their validity, and they gained funding and respect for doing so. In contrast, anybody who dares question the validity of Climate theory seems to be branded an enemy of society and, preferably,  hung drawn and quartered.  That's just not right, in my view.

Incidentally, I understand the Pioneers 'failed' the test, but let's not go there.   :)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2011, 10:04:54 AM »

I'd better not say any more either, lest people should think that I'm in the hanging, drawing and quatering camp. :)
  Eric

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2011, 01:50:45 PM »

I sit in the SLMuddle camp and  I would make a couple of points that worry me. The effect our efforts in the Western World will have on limiting atmospheric CO/CO2 fades into insignificance when compared to the developing countries like India and China. Since they are not going to stop what they rightly see as "their turn" at development what is the point of crippling our own industries when it won't make any difference? A bit defeatist perhaps but pragmatic.
The proliferation of wind farms astounds me. No provision, as far as I know, has been made to store the energy produced when the wind blows so back up generating plant of equal capacity producing loads of CO/CO2 needs to be available for when it doesn't and so the reduction in CO/CO2 production is much lessened. And the profits being made by the wind farm industry are offensive.
Lastly historians and geologists agree that there were periods of high temperatures and ice ages throughout our planet's history at times when no industry existed so why do we have the cheek to think our puny efforts at control will have any effect now. Maybe the sun has an effect on our planet's climate by a mechanism so far unidentified and CO/CO2 has only a small effect. Just because we can measure it doesn't mean it is the only cause of climate change.
Global warming seems to be the present day version of "original sin" which I thought we'd grown out of and to dare to question it is often attacked as unethical. As I get older I realise that the information we are presented with by the media in all its guises, is shrouded in spin with no way of establishing its veracity. Gone are the days when BBC TV News (or any other factual programme) can be believed in in its entirety. Consequently I have a jaundiced view of "the evidence" as presented to us. It was only 40 years or so ago that the media were warning of another ice age. Who would like to bet that story might come back with "more evidence".
Rant over (but I feel much better!)
Tony

CurlyWhirly

• Reg Member
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2011, 09:45:36 PM »

Many, if not most, most of the variations and extremes in UK wind and rainfall are due to positioning of the Jetstream, which naturally drifts around over Northern Europe, sometimes to the North of the UK, and sometimes to the South.  The Jetstream, for example, was almost certainly responsible for the deluge suffered in Boscastle a few year years ago, I'm not aware of any serious attempt to associate that event with global warming theories.   

Considering the influence that these age-old variations have on our weather, I find it frustrating how rarely, if ever, they are mentioned on UK forecasts or weather reports.  If you visit the USA, in contrast, you'll the position of 'The Jet' is regularly shown on TV.   I sometimes wonder whether the fact that the USA folks tend to be better-informed of these entirely natural factors may explain why they are less easily convinced of more sinister explanations?
If the jetstream is so important to the UK's weather then I agree that the jetstream should be part of the UK forecast.
Mike

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2011, 10:50:50 PM »

I remember 1963 and making and breaking three sledges :)

Have we had weather like that again?

Close this year but not as long as 1963.

It was fun but I still remember being cold and could not open door due to snow drift.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

anything