Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: FireFox problem  (Read 9896 times)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
FireFox problem
« on: September 14, 2007, 01:25:57 AM »

Okay, I am giving Firefox another go, but I am still having some difficulties and problems.

Problem number One:0
FF has changed all the icons in "Bookmarks, Quick launch Toolbar and on the Desktop" to the FF default icon.

I was given some advice which was most appreciated but unfortunatley does not seem to work and that was to:-
(these are known as favicons, you can however set FF not to use favicons.)

Type about:config into the address bar, then type browser.chrome into the filter field then set the value of these two preferences to false by double-clicking on them.

" browser.chrome.favicons & browser.chrome.site_icons "
Restart Firefox for the changes to take place.

Although they are both now set to false, unfortunately this does not seem to work.

Problem number Two:-
Is there any way of being able to send a shortcut to the desktop as you can with IE ?

I know there are a couple of other minor points, but if I can at least get this/these sorted it would not be so bad.
(Although I have to admit, "which is why I'm trying it again" pages on most sites open so much quicker than with IE )

*** Agh *** where's the my spellchecker gone.  >:(

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: FireFox problem
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 01:47:13 AM »

>> FF has changed all the icons in "Bookmarks, Quick launch Toolbar and on the Desktop" to the FF default icon.

Your shortcuts etc will show the icon of which application is used to open the files.. therefore FF must now have been set as your default browser.

Theres several ways you can change that back

1) easiest is probably to set IE back as your default browser.. to do that open up IE
   tools > Internet Options > Programs Tab > tick IE is the default browser
2) right click on any of the shortcuts  >> Open With >> Choose Program
  Then select IE from the list and then check the "Always use the selected program to open.."

If you want to keep FF the way it is atm, but have your icons showing the IE logo.. then you will have change the file type properies  in "Folder Options" >> "File Types" >> "Advanced" for both HTM and HTML files.

>> ********************************************

Problem number Two:-
Is there any way of being able to send a shortcut to the desktop as you can with IE

I always just drag the url icon straight to the desktop.
eg like in the screen cap

[attachment deleted by admin]
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 01:49:27 AM »

forgot

for your spell checker with FF you need to get spellbound as ieSpell only works in IE.
http://spellbound.sourceforge.net/

I dont use FF these days so not sure if theres also another add-in that you can use.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2007, 02:13:40 AM »

Thanks Kitz.

One of the problems I had the last time I tried FF was that with all the different tool-bars it covered about a third of the screen, ( 21") although it did have a spell checker built into it but also so much other rubbish it put me off and took hours whittling it down to what I thought I wanted.

Unfortunately "only an hour or so ago" I deleted that particular download and emptied the recycle bin after I had installed this version as it looked much neater.
I thought the spell checker was part and parcel of FF  :-X

>> for your spell checker with FF you need to get spellbound
And yet FF do a download of various dictioneries dictionaries, (there is a dictionary) as it has just started highlighting in red the words I am miss-spelling, but I still like to click and check for myself (old habits never die)

I wonder how reliable Spellbound is, first line of it's write-up says:  :lol:

>>      SpellBound is a port of the spellchecker code

I'm going to bed.
SpellBound is not compatible with this version of FF  :shrug2:
« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 02:33:15 AM by oldfogy »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2007, 08:35:03 AM »

lol not your night was it?

I did warn that I'd not used FF in a long time (I prefer Opera) and wasnt sure what the "in thing" with the add ons were.
-----

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2007, 09:35:13 AM »

All you need for spell check on firefox is to load the relevant dictionary. :)

(dedicated ff user here)
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2007, 09:35:44 AM »

>> SpellBound is a port of the spellchecker code

What's wrong with that? A port is when software is "ported" i.e. made portable, from one system to another, e.g. from the Mac to PC, or Windows to Linux, or something. Or, in this case, the code has been ported from Mozilla Composer to a standalone plugin (is that an oxymoron?!) for FireFox.
Chris

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2007, 11:59:01 AM »

As Kitz said, it wasn't my night.

>>      SpellBound is a port of the spellchecker code

I thought it should of read:
>      SpellBound is a part of the spellchecker code

But as I am still not entirely happy with it, I think I will give Opera a try later tonight.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2007, 01:50:12 PM »

Have you tried   http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/   or the Forums (look on the LHS bottom on the main page)
Spell checker you have to click 'Tools' >Add on's > Get Extensions   Look for dictionaries on LHS list , scan down the list for 'English British' NOT English one ( u.s.) save to say desktop . go back to Add Ons screen click install, look for the file you have just downloaded click on it and it will install it. close and re open FF  ... :)
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2007, 05:17:04 PM »

Yes thanks, I have already done that.
The dictionary does work as I found out in an earlier post above when I spelt dictionery wrong (as it is now) just that I would feel more comfortable having something to click-on to select the spell-checker.

Obviously what it all comes down to is, it's different and we don't always like changes, especially from something we have gotten used to.

1. No physical selectable spell-checker. (But this one is now getting to be acceptable)
2. Icons being changed to suite the browser and not being left as the web pages default icons.
3. Not being able to place a short-cut on the tool-bar for full screen option (F11)
4. No facility to send a page to the desktop as a short-cut.
5. One or two other problems of not being able to customise the tool-bar with my own bits & bobs.
6. On (only) one other particular forum, all the text is in one long paragraph, it does not allow lines between sentences which makes it difficult to read.    (but on that site nothing surprises me any longer)

However, after saying that it does open pages on one particular site (Demonoid.com) like greased lightening compared to IE, but that is down to the fact that IE does not open the page until everything has been loaded, whereas FF seems to opens the page then continues to open all the other stuff in the back-ground and the tabbed pages are handy.

Although IE also has it's own downfalls, just that I can't think of them at the moment.
(must of gotten that used to them they then become the "norm")

edited to correct spelling mistake. (but in fairness it could of been correct) "seams"
« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 05:21:35 PM by oldfogy »

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2007, 06:57:10 PM »

Just one little thing I like in FF, you can save a picture whilst it is loading, whereas in IE you have to wait till it's fully downloaded.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2007, 12:39:24 AM »

But you are forgetting FF is a lot more secure the IE. Linux based  ;).

I have been using FF for about three years now and I have about 30 tabs in use today.

Have you looked in the 'Extensions' there is a host of different things to install If you want, and you may find some that will help you with your 1 to 6 listed items.

As I type this any spelling mistake's are underlined in red. (I have always had problems with spelling ..word blindness :'( ).
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2007, 01:12:58 AM »

Well I'm still playing with FF at the moment.
But I just got side tracked trying to open the Opera web-site but FF does not want to open it, but then got side-tracked and eventually ended up here:-

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/SupportCD/FirefoxMyths.html

:lol:

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2007, 04:28:14 AM »

I have tried opera but wasn't impressed with it.  Firefox is way better.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2007, 11:05:30 PM »

I also use Opera as well as FF. ;)
Pages: [1] 2

anything