Internet > Web Browsing & Email

FireFox problem

(1/6) > >>

oldfogy:
Okay, I am giving Firefox another go, but I am still having some difficulties and problems.

Problem number One:0
FF has changed all the icons in "Bookmarks, Quick launch Toolbar and on the Desktop" to the FF default icon.

I was given some advice which was most appreciated but unfortunatley does not seem to work and that was to:-
(these are known as favicons, you can however set FF not to use favicons.)

Type about:config into the address bar, then type browser.chrome into the filter field then set the value of these two preferences to false by double-clicking on them.

" browser.chrome.favicons & browser.chrome.site_icons "
Restart Firefox for the changes to take place.

Although they are both now set to false, unfortunately this does not seem to work.

Problem number Two:-
Is there any way of being able to send a shortcut to the desktop as you can with IE ?

I know there are a couple of other minor points, but if I can at least get this/these sorted it would not be so bad.
(Although I have to admit, "which is why I'm trying it again" pages on most sites open so much quicker than with IE )

*** Agh *** where's the my spellchecker gone.  >:(

kitz:
>> FF has changed all the icons in "Bookmarks, Quick launch Toolbar and on the Desktop" to the FF default icon.

Your shortcuts etc will show the icon of which application is used to open the files.. therefore FF must now have been set as your default browser.

Theres several ways you can change that back

1) easiest is probably to set IE back as your default browser.. to do that open up IE
   tools > Internet Options > Programs Tab > tick IE is the default browser
2) right click on any of the shortcuts  >> Open With >> Choose Program
  Then select IE from the list and then check the "Always use the selected program to open.."

If you want to keep FF the way it is atm, but have your icons showing the IE logo.. then you will have change the file type properies  in "Folder Options" >> "File Types" >> "Advanced" for both HTM and HTML files.

>> ********************************************

Problem number Two:-
Is there any way of being able to send a shortcut to the desktop as you can with IE

I always just drag the url icon straight to the desktop.
eg like in the screen cap

[attachment deleted by admin]

kitz:
forgot

for your spell checker with FF you need to get spellbound as ieSpell only works in IE.
http://spellbound.sourceforge.net/

I dont use FF these days so not sure if theres also another add-in that you can use.

oldfogy:
Thanks Kitz.

One of the problems I had the last time I tried FF was that with all the different tool-bars it covered about a third of the screen, ( 21") although it did have a spell checker built into it but also so much other rubbish it put me off and took hours whittling it down to what I thought I wanted.

Unfortunately "only an hour or so ago" I deleted that particular download and emptied the recycle bin after I had installed this version as it looked much neater.
I thought the spell checker was part and parcel of FF  :-X

>> for your spell checker with FF you need to get spellbound
And yet FF do a download of various dictioneries dictionaries, (there is a dictionary) as it has just started highlighting in red the words I am miss-spelling, but I still like to click and check for myself (old habits never die)

I wonder how reliable Spellbound is, first line of it's write-up says:  :lol:

>>      SpellBound is a port of the spellchecker code

I'm going to bed.
SpellBound is not compatible with this version of FF  :shrug2:

kitz:
lol not your night was it?

I did warn that I'd not used FF in a long time (I prefer Opera) and wasnt sure what the "in thing" with the add ons were.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version