Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: New BT Speed test front page  (Read 10368 times)

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
    • A Designers Work in Progress
Re: New BT Speed test front page
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2011, 01:42:12 PM »

Hi all,

Just to explain the reasoning for this change – FTTP (Fibre to the Premises) lines do not have a phone number (voice service is not required as copper is not required,) so we were having to give our FTTP trialists their BBEU’s (Circuit References) to run a speedtest. Obviously we don’t want to do this as it means customers can call Wholesale directly and pretend to be from Zen Internet etc.

The change means FTTP customers can enter their postcode and house number instead of phone number to locate their account, and do not need their BBEU.

In making this change it also means that FTTC lines can also be tested properly.

~Azz
I Sync', I Auth', therefore I am.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2011, 04:04:48 PM »

Thanks very much Azz,

Can you tell me why 186708 can't do a standard speed test this afternoon three times on the trot. It completes the test but bombs out before posting the results with the standard BT error page saying try later or call you !

Kind reagrds,
Walter

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2011, 10:23:40 AM »

As Azz seems rather relaxed about answering posts here, today I've reported to Lance @ Zen that 186708 produced three failures one after the other, but a test on 161357 grinds on in its usual way, but does at least provide an answer.

The two tests are obviously being routed to different locations as the failing one doesn't report the IP Profile figure whilst testing, but the good one still does.
The bad one also starts the test immediately whereas the good one probably takes over a minute to start.

Both these lines are on the THCN exchange but the good one is on an Alcatel DSLAM and the bad one is on a TI DSLAM.
They are probably both linked to a Reading RAS but I haven't yet collected the log data to prove that.

Kind regards,
Walter

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2011, 08:27:23 PM »

Hi

Bet they don't have to deal with the Indian sub continent :lol:
(The ivory tower people )
Regards Jeff
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 08:29:55 PM by jeffbb »
zen user

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
    • A Designers Work in Progress
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2011, 01:36:27 PM »

As Azz seems rather relaxed about answering posts here, today I've reported to Lance @ Zen that 186708 produced three failures one after the other, but a test on 161357 grinds on in its usual way, but does at least provide an answer.

The two tests are obviously being routed to different locations as the failing one doesn't report the IP Profile figure whilst testing, but the good one still does.
The bad one also starts the test immediately whereas the good one probably takes over a minute to start.

Both these lines are on the THCN exchange but the good one is on an Alcatel DSLAM and the bad one is on a TI DSLAM.
They are probably both linked to a Reading RAS but I haven't yet collected the log data to prove that.

Kind regards,
Walter

PM me the usernames please walter and I'll look into them.

I Sync', I Auth', therefore I am.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2011, 03:44:13 PM »

Gentlefolk,

Here's another speed test anomaly with an IP profile well above what I believe it should be on a PlusNet service.
Note also the last questionable set of diagnostics data with 0 download FECs and a sync speed at an astonishing 1760 Kbps download speed for this line length.
You'll see this is on a standard non-capped service so that's not the reason.

Kind regards,
Walter

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 03:47:23 PM by waltergmw »
Pages: 1 [2]