Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Line Length Descrepancies  (Read 7498 times)

razpag

• Reg Member
Re: Line Length Descrepancies
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2011, 07:11:47 PM »

@badwolf456: Enter your phone number and postcode in the Kitz line checker and see what it says in the 'BT line speed estimation' section. This data comes from the BT database.

Think the OP has already done this, although it's misspelt as kist.

badwolf456

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2011, 07:23:29 PM »

Yes, my bad. I have already used Kitz (not Kist) and it confirms what my telco has already reported!

badwolf456

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2011, 07:25:45 PM »

Every day's a school day, I've never seen 'speed' presented like that from a router/hub.

Now then, the Upstream is higher than what a 20CN product can offer. It looks like its a 21CN product on the U/S, but granted, you should be seeing a damn site more on the D/S with your attenuation.

I am only on ADSL Max - BT never upgraded the exchange to ADSL2+, only Be have that facility in Sandy as an LLU operator.

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2011, 07:26:52 PM »

As I've said mate ..... get back on to Be.

You sure your exchange hasn't got 21CN though ??? Your upstream figure suggests otherwise.

GunJack

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2011, 07:29:12 PM »

raz - that upstream equates to 7 meg !! wouldn't see that on 21CN, so I'd assume it's a reporting error. You can get up to around 800k on ADSL1

OOPS!!! edit - read the stats the wrong way round  :-[

832k upstream was & is available on adsl1, I was on such a profile on tiscali before I was moved to the tt MSAN as part of the migration...someone mentioned it may have been a business-based profile...
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 07:32:06 PM by GunJack »
8)..........Gettin' There, Wherever There is..........8)

badwolf456

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2011, 07:29:31 PM »

As I've said mate ..... get back on to Be.

You sure your exchange hasn't got 21CN though ??? Your upstream figure suggests otherwise.

Be are standing by their word stating that until the line length is changed by BT, I cannot order their service.

I checked exchange status with Samknows, and shows exchange is not 21cn!

badwolf456

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2011, 07:33:46 PM »

raz - that upstream equates to 7 meg !! wouldn't see that on 21CN, so I'd assume it's a reporting error. You can get up to around 800k on ADSL1

OOPS!!! edit - read the stats the wrong way round  :-[

832k upstream was & is available on adsl1, I was on such a profile on tiscali before I was moved to the tt MSAN as part of the migration...someone mentioned it may have been a business-based profile...

Yes, I am on a business based subscription with Naims, which is why I have 832k upstream.

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2011, 07:35:04 PM »

Well I never ?? I haven't ever seen anything above 488Kbps on ADSL1, even on business based protocols. This forum certainly keeps me informed as to what SP's have to offer.

badwolf456

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2011, 07:36:24 PM »

Well I never ?? I haven't ever seen anything above 488Kbps on ADSL1, even on business based protocols. This forum certainly keeps me informed as to what SP's have to offer.

Well I for one have learnt something new today. Cheers guys!

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2011, 07:37:09 PM »

The data that Be have is clearly wrong, and it's not your responsibility to correct that data. There's still one bit of information which I don't think we've seen yet - in the Kitz line checker, what does it say in the 'BT line speed estimation' section? Sorry to labour the point, but this information comes from the BT database, and will confirm (or not) whether the BT database has wrong data.
  Eric

badwolf456

« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2011, 07:38:22 PM »

Will check, hang on......

OK, part one of results:

Fixed ADSL:  2048 kbps (2 Mb) 
 DSL Max:   5000 kbps (5 Mb) 
 21CN WBC : Not Available 

Part two of results:

dslMAX  8192kbps                  IP Profile   7150kbps
adsl2+ (21CN)  16000kbps    IP Profile  14000kbps
adsl2+ (LLU)  16000kbps       Throughput  14160kbps

« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 07:42:22 PM by badwolf456 »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2011, 07:53:12 PM »

That's absolutely clear then: the BT database has sensible (though conservative) estimates of the speed. You couldn't possibly get a speed of 5000 kbps if the line length were what Be say it is. I think your only option is to demand to speak to someone higher up the chain in Be, who can clear this ridiculous impasse.
  Eric

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2011, 09:45:34 PM »

get back on to BE and tell them they've got it wrong mate.
Be get their data from BT, so it's BT that have it wrong.
Sadly, you're stuck in the middle.
Your (very basic) stats suggest a potential speed approaching 15mbps (not 24) with Be.

If you can get more detailed stats to email to Be, and tell Be that you're already connected at 8mbps they may take you on "at your own risk".

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2011, 07:18:47 AM »

get back on to BE and tell them they've got it wrong mate.
Be get their data from BT, so it's BT that have it wrong.
Sadly, you're stuck in the middle.
Your (very basic) stats suggest a potential speed approaching 15mbps (not 24) with Be.

If you can get more detailed stats to email to Be, and tell Be that you're already connected at 8mbps they may take you on "at your own risk".

HP sauce ..... the OP has tried umpteen 'line checkers' (including the one on this site), all of them use BT's data-base. Thus far, all of them have given the OP the correct speed he could achieve EXCEPT for Be. Would this not suggest it is Be's issue ??

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2011, 09:03:33 AM »

It might, except Be link into BT's internal systems which are not necessarily the same.
So in reality this is probably just 1 vote each way as all the non-Be sources will be using the same data.
(the real line data is obviously much more significant)
Nonetheless all they can do is point all that out to Be.

Be have been stung quite a bit in the past with problems on long lines so, not unreasonably, have limits on what lines they will accept. Like any system I guess sometimes the data is inaccurate, but they don't generate it, it all comes from BT.
Pages: 1 [2] 3

anything