Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: TV question...  (Read 6852 times)

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
Re: TV question...
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2011, 08:06:29 PM »

Of course you are correct about the set-top box, however the rest of the diagram should still stand.
Without the information I am guessing a little bit. Also I don't know if the analogue signal has been switched off in his area. I do believe there are still some areas on analogue.
I'm trying to be not too technical for the OP. Not saying that Chrissie is stupid, just some of it is not in her comfort zone.
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2011, 08:29:37 PM »

Sorry guys I complicated the matter...I meant he doesn't have Sky only freeview and analogue, it's not switched off here til 2012 (swines lol wish they would leave well alone..but that's just me).  The new tv is digital and analogue and the aerial for it doesn't give a good picture, he has an outside digital aerial and freeview box and just wants a decent pic on the new set in the kitchen.  I think the splitter is about it for him but I think he may need a booster too on the main aerial/set....  Gawd knows why he wants a tv in the kitchen but each to his own lol.   :D

Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2011, 02:14:16 AM »

A passive splitter is quite cheap (£5?) and might be worth a gamble because modern digital TVs have more sensitive tuners but you may need an active splitter with some gain to satisfy the original set which may be older and possibly less sensitive. The passive filter introduces some loss so it depends on the strength of the original signal.
Tony

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2011, 02:03:37 PM »

Hi
If you are not getting a good picture on TV1 then you need to use  areal that gives a better Gain with a  splitter .

If TV1 has a Good picture then maybe a basic splitter would be OK . However when using a splitter you do lose some signal so It may be better to use one that provides 2 amplified outlets

for info for any one having poor reception

An aerial that I am using http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Electrical/TV+Satellite/SLx+Megaboost+Aerial+Kit+1+Way/d190/sd3084/p92687
enables me to receive the signals from the old Granada TX which for this area is supposedly not available .

This aerial is only 2FT long and about  8" wide max

Regards Jeff
zen user
Pages: 1 [2]

anything