Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Digital Phones and TV  (Read 3748 times)

Peter

• Reg Member
  • My Country needed me????
Digital Phones and TV
« on: March 10, 2011, 10:30:07 AM »

We have one of our BT Synergy digital phones sat next to our tv, recently I've noticed that when the phone rings the tv picture gets broken up, as the phone has been there for quite a long time now I wondered if anyone can say why this should now happen?

Peter

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Digital Phones and TV
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 10:53:32 AM »

It could be a phone fault, but if it's working OK I'm inclined to think not.   And if the phone hasn't changed, then it's fair to assume the TV signal has got weaker, and hence more easily swamped by the same phone radiation.

Has your region yet gone fully digital?  Prior to the digital switchover, most of the digital transmitters were/are being run at reduced power, to avoid interfering with analogue.  It's possible that they may have had to re-adjust the signal strength, hence reducing power even more, that seems to have happened in our area such that the ITV channel group is rarely watchable these days.

It's also possible your TV aerial or downlead has got damp, or deteriorated in some other way, over the winter.   After the full digital swicth-over the transmitter powers will generally be significantly increased, so problems like this may simply evaporate.

Peter

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 04:36:08 PM »

I'm in Cheshire, we went digital quite a while ago and we didn't get this problem until a few days ago.

Actually it is not really a problem, moving the phone is probably the best option, I was just curious as to why it happened, but I shall consider the aerial solution if necessary, it has been there over twenty years I think.

Thanks for the comprehensive reply.

Peter

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 06:21:04 PM »

hi
quote when the phone rings the tv picture gets broken up,

There are at least 2 reasons why the picture gets broken up

1 as already discussed interference on the incoming signal or possibly direct interference with the TV screen ,you may be able to check by placing the phone closer to the aerial to see if its worse  or placing phone closer to screen but away from aerial .

Regards Jeff
zen user

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 07:27:23 PM »

I agree, it's interesting.  Exactly the sort of thing that I'd want to understand, even though it's not really causing a problem.

Out of interest... you say it's when the phone 'rings'.  Does it also happen when the phone is in use (ie, connected to a call) and placed near the TV?  AFAIK, DECT cordless phone RF emissions would be the same in both cases - ringing or connected - but I may stand corrected.

Also, does it happen on all channels or just some?  Most digital TV sets have a signal strength monitor built in, which you can reach by pressing 'menu' and then umpteen sub-options.   If that allowed you to confirm it only happens when tuned to a weak signal, I think it would add weight to the theory that's the phone is managing to swamp the TV signal.

I'm not sure exactly what the answers to above would tell us, at any rate how to explain why it's only just started doing so.  But it's the only other things I could think of to ask   :)

Anybody else?

Peter

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 08:13:38 PM »

It appears to stop when the phone has been answered, but that may be because we have moved away from the TV.
It seems to be the same for BBC or the commercial channels.

Peter