Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: WiFi Hotspots?  (Read 3723 times)

Ratae

WiFi Hotspots?
« on: February 01, 2011, 03:33:56 PM »

I'm not sure if this thread should be here..or in the Linux board. Feel free to move if necessary!  ???

My dual boot netbook w/less, connects every time to the couple of free wifi hotspots that I've tried it at.....providing I'm using the Windows partition! These two networks are ... 'The Cloud' and 'BT OpenZone'

However, if I use the Ubuntu partition, the w/less finds and connects ok to 'BT OpenZone'... but although it finds 'The Cloud' network ok....it just will not connect!

At home, both partitions connect effortlessly to my w/less network!

I just can't understand why the Linux partition fails to connect to 'The Cloud' ... Is this a Linux problem or is it a w/less card problem? .. Stumped!!  :'(
If I can't dazzle them with my intelligence, I'll baffle them with my bulls**t!

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: WiFi Hotspots?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 04:09:06 PM »

It seems to be something to do with your Ubuntu setup, so I've moved it here.

As your Ubuntu installation connects OK to BT Openzone, your wireless interface must be working properly, so it must presumably come down to some particular configuration requirement of The Cloud. Perhaps Windows comes already preconfigured for the various wi-fi networks. I've no personal experience of wi-fi hotspots, so I'm hoping someone else will be able to help.
  Eric

Ratae

Re: WiFi Hotspots?
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 06:39:28 PM »

Thanks Eric. It's just that these netbooks are really made for using 'on the run' so to speak, and as some of them come with Linux pre-installed, I'd assumed that 'Hotspots' wouldn't be a problem!

It may be a 'Distro' thing tho'! :'(
If I can't dazzle them with my intelligence, I'll baffle them with my bulls**t!