Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Trojan Nightmare.  (Read 14095 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Trojan Nightmare.
« on: September 10, 2007, 01:23:32 PM »

Well I had fun last night.

I think I came across one of the worst infected machines ever.  On the face of it it looked like it was infected with Spyshredder and WinAntiVirus, but the problem was much much deeper than this and I had a real fight on my hands with this one.

The machine was protected with NAV and spybot S+D, but I suppose nothing will over-ride some of the exploits when a user decides to say yes and click to install something.

Spyshredder in itself is pretty nasty, but once this machine was "opened up" then the amount of viruses that can be installed on the machine just keeps going. Some of the other nasties I had to tackle were Win Antivirus, SmitFrad, SpyFalcon, SmitFraud and numerous troj_dloaders..  There was a total of nearly 100 viruses onboard by the time I got to the machine.

By which time:-

• The resident AV had been disabled.
  • No other AV could be installed.
  • The hosts file had been amended so that no way could you get to any AV site such as symantec, trend etc.
  • The hosts file had been locked.
  • IE was locked to the Spyshredder site.
  • Access to control panel had been removed. - Cannot find "Control Panel"
  • The ability to find any info about "My computer" had been removed and right clicking gave an error message "This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator".
  • Access to system restore had been removed - "Windows cannot find gpedit.msc" and "windows cannot find config.msc".
  • Access to the registry had been removed. - Access to regedit not allowed.
  • The machine was running painfully slow due to the fact that so many viruses were resident and every action resulted in messages urging the user to buy Spyshredder or other supposed AV cleaners and several pop-up messages saying the machine was infected.
  • Access to task Manager had been removed so you couldnt kill any running processes or threads.

Yes I did all the usual stuff, safemode and despite it supposedly not meant to happen in safe mode - even logging in as the main administrator I still couldnt do things I wanted to such as access certain parts of the PC or turn off sys restore.... and WinAv was still running whilst in safe mode (do not ask me how cause Ive no idea on that one).

Scanning with spybot, adaware, edwido etc etc even in safe mode wouldnt clear the virus.. and I couldnt install a new av whilst in safe mode.  Even my fav tool HJT wasnt playing in helping to remove this one.

How did I clear it?  Well to be honest Ive no idea of the real process cause it was fight this thing all the way, and gain a new inroad each time.
Im putting this info up here in the hope that it may help someone else in the future.

------------

First step was being able to get into the registry.- Symantec Offer a nice tool UnHookExec.inf which can be downloaded from here.

I then disabled just about everything I could from start-up in msconfig, which then allowed me to run...
Spybot, edwido etc in safe mode and let them remove as much as they could.
Ran HJT and was also able to clear the host file.

Rebooted into normal mode installed AVG updated with latest definitions, rebooted back into safe mode and ran scan... let that clear up about another 20+ trojans.

Virus was still resident so back to safe mode (still no access to Control panel, sys restore, gpedit.msc or config.msc )

Edited/Created the following keys in the registry

Edited User Key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
Set Value to 0.  (0 = disable restriction, 1 = enable restriction)

Created new System Key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
Value Name: NoControlPanel
Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)
Value Data: 0 (0 = disable restriction, 1 = enable restriction)

(see screen cap below)

The above now allowed me to access certain parts of windows, so booted up into normal mode and switched off system restore.  Booted back into safe mode again.

• Scanned with AVG and S+D let it remove what it could. 
  • Ran HJT and let it fix the following

~ c\program files\Common\WinAntiVirus\ueo7pcw.exe
~ c\windows\system32\printer.exe
~ c\windows\ system32\spoolvs.exe - caution! spoolsv is a valid windows file
~ c\program files\common\winAV 2007
~ c\program files\common\winAV 2006
~ HLKM \policies - disable regedit

Damn! the bugger was still there..

Booted back into normal mode - ran Trend Housecall - let it remove another 7 viruses.

Still there - Manually deleted the following folders:-
c\program files\Common\WinAntiVirus (or WinAV)

Ran a search on WinA* and deleted several items which related to the virus scattered on the drive such as WinAVxx.exe and uwa7pcw.exe.
It had also cleverly hidden itself in some files called shell.exe and printer.exe (extreme caution needed here to make sure you arent removing valid windows files).

Okay nearly there - the machine is almost clean - final thing to do was remove WinAV from Control Panel.
To do this you need to run a search on all *.cpl files.
I found it under something like wav.cpl
Best way to ensure youre not removing something valid is move the file to a safe folder you created such as "bin".  Then drag the item to there.  Then refresh (F5) control panel to see if its gone.  Once you know that file is def winAV then you can bin it to eternity :)

---------------------------------------

Warning: The above guidelines are my experience and involve editing the registry and using powerful tools such as HJT and UnHookExec.inf  which could damage your operating system.  If you are unsure what you are doing then proceed with caution and I take no responsibility if you mess something up big time.

This virus is particulary nasty since it opens up the infected PC to other trojans which may cause more damage.  Its self propogating and hides itself in what could be valid system files and disables many functions to avoid removal.  Unfortunately none of the AV tools I ran were fully able to remove this completely and the above has been written in the hope that it can help someone else in the future.

I strongly suspect (although I have no proof of but talking to the teenage kids that use the PC) that this virus originated from one of the "You've received an e-card from a friend" ilks which came through on MSN.  Once resident it spawned multiple trojans of various types which made it so hard to eradicate.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Trojan Nightmare.
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 01:30:31 PM »

Gordon Bennett, what a fun time you had! I hope they were grateful.
  Eric

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 01:42:57 PM »

I should think you needed a lie down in a darkened room after that, Kitz the Vampire Slayer.

And stop looking so smug, Eric the Linuxman!

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2007, 01:43:45 PM »

lol best part is - that is just removal from 1 pc - theres another networked PC which is also infected with the same thing.

I ran out of time last night to finish fixing that one - its still at the stage of re-propogating itself onreboot and once it connects to the net then it downloads another zillion viruses..  It had a fit last night and crashed during a reboot so I had to do scandisk and repair which was a bit of a set-back. Although Im at the stage of having access to reg edit its still virus ridden and therefore that machine is unplugged till I get back to it.

Notes were also to myself too - so tomorrow night I know what Im looking for rather than spending hours going round in circles and can hopefully remove it a lot quicker.

... and yes Im owed several bottles of wine
- also been promised to be picked up tomorrow night and plenty of wine to consume whilst Im waiting for scans to complete.. then a taxi back home.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2007, 02:11:55 PM »

I think I'd have given up and done a complete system re-install.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2007, 02:37:30 PM »

>>> And stop looking so smug, Eric the Linuxman!

As if I would do such a thing! :o 8)
  Eric

jazz

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2007, 08:57:26 AM »

Crikey - just one trojan in my computer frightened heck out of me a few months ago.  You deserve more than a medal for tackling that lot :'(

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2007, 10:45:58 AM »

>> I think I'd have given up and done a complete system re-install.

Perhaps in some cases the easiest option, but when you walk into someones house you dont always know what virus is on there.. and normally you can have sucess with removal relatively easily. 
The thing is you quite often dont know exactly which virus youre up against and the early indications was it was just one or two virus rather than nearer 100 other assorted trojans.  Once I'd got the AV working again removal of the lesser type trojans and malware was easy.

I'd already started the job so doing a new install wouldnt have taken any less time since I would have also been requested to put the machine back to the state it was previously in. Some people also dont want the drive wiping cause they have stuff on there that they still want (Yeah I know backups - but try telling that to the average joe user :/).

Viruses have always held a particular interest to me and something I got sidetracked with and ventured into when I was doing my dissertation.
Add on, that I can be a stubbourn git sometimes and refuse to let one get the better of me.  It was actually a challenge as whilst doing all this, each stage I was taking a bit more of it away and gaining a bit further into complete removal from something that originally had complete control over the system.

The only one Ive ever given up on is one many years ago where the virus had had attacked the bios on a very old PC.

The only virus I myself have had is SQL slammer - which I got 5 mins after it had been released into the wild for the first time.  I was unfortunate with that one since normally a home pc wouldnt have had MSDE installed, as the virus was targetted towards corporate machines/servers. 
That was fun  cause I was still on dial up back then (exchange was still in awaiting activation stage).. and the virus was trying to pump out data much faster than a 56k connection could handle.  There wasnt even a M$ patch nor something that any of the AVs could pickup as it was so new.  I wasnt happy cause it was 2 days before I was due to hand in my finals for Networking, DS+A, and dot.net implementation.   :'(
-----

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2007, 11:30:25 AM »

Fair enough but sometimes that's just not possible - there's often valuable stuff on people's PCs. I suppose you could reinstall Windows over itself but even that may not clear the trojan fully if it's installed itself deeply enough, plus I don't like doing that anyway, I always think it slows the system down and it's never quite as stable afterwards.

Well done kitz, and thanks for sharing the experience with us!
Chris

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2007, 02:59:32 PM »

>> reinstall Windows over itself

I think I can safely say that wouldnt have cleared this infection. The fact that it was still in evidence whilst in safe mode..  and parts of it were scattered all over the drive so it could keep replicating itself. 
Therefore parts of the virus would still remain after a reinstall and because it was multi-part, if you deleted one part of it, then it checked on reboot if the other part was there and if not ,would simply re-create the other parts.  There was one point where I thought I'd got it all and deleted everything..  but iirc it was "shell.exe" that was still there.. and on the next boot up it was fully back, by regenerating the other folders again... so back to square 1 :/
-----

scottiesmum

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2007, 03:35:16 PM »

Wow  Kitz,  " a few bottle of wine"  .......   shares in the vineyard more like   ...      I feel like a lie down after just reading your initial post  .... :clap2:

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2007, 08:05:54 PM »

Fair enough but sometimes that's just not possible - there's often valuable stuff on people's PCs. I suppose you could reinstall Windows over itself but even that may not clear the trojan fully if it's installed itself deeply enough, plus I don't like doing that anyway, I always think it slows the system down and it's never quite as stable afterwards.

Well done kitz, and thanks for sharing the experience with us!

Yeah well I'm so used to doing my own PC, and having all my docs, pics, music & movies on a separate physical drive.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2007, 11:41:20 PM »

ummm... sorted the 2nd PC ... damn thing had disguised itself as desktop.exe this time.

Cleared and all sorted... amd I think I'm best not posting anywhere tonight  ;hic:
-----

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2007, 07:23:47 AM »

>>> amd I think I'm best not posting anywhere tonight  ;hic:

So you got paid for your consultancy work then? :lol:
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2007, 09:59:09 AM »

lol... something like that  :D
-----
Pages: [1] 2