Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: File sharing lawyers face warning letter ban  (Read 2073 times)

BritBrat

• Kitizen
File sharing lawyers face warning letter ban
« on: January 25, 2011, 07:48:32 AM »

Despite telling the court that ACS Law’s anti-piracy days were over, Crossley’s own barrister later argued against Judge Birss’ proposed ban on letter sending, saying he had no idea what the absent solicitor planned to do in the future and suggested the judge didn’t have jurisdiction.

“If you’re not going to do it anyway, it shouldn’t be any detriment to your client [to be put under such a ban]," Judge Birss argued

pcpro.co.uk

Further reading:
slyck.com
hellmail.co.uk

« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 07:56:46 AM by BritBrat »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: File sharing lawyers face warning letter ban
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 07:56:51 AM »

This whole affair seems to be based on a false premise, namely that the loss incurred by the media companies equals the face value of the illegal downloads. A moment's thought would reveal that this obviously isn't the case, but the media companies aren't going to admit this of course.
  Eric

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 08:00:11 AM »

One of the points that came up on this case is that the claimants may not have had any rights to the intellectual property in the first place.

It's a bit like me joining a torrent getting some UK IP and applying for a NPO and sending out threating letters in the hope some will send me money.

But would any decent person do that?

Even ISP's have not come out of this very well:
Apparently said by the judge of the ISP's "no interest the legal issues ... and are not concerned with the underlying case"
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 08:06:50 AM by BritBrat »

robinsteele

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 11:33:44 AM »

They should be banned.They cant prove who actually downloads a film/music etc anyway.There was an article on Watchdog about a year ago about
a poor sod getting chased for £3k about downloading something he hadnt.
Always looking for freebie HQ

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 04:24:19 PM »

The problem is as the law stands, you not only have to prove that you are not the person the did the illegal downloading (or uploading) from the IP address which they have tracked the download from (which in my opinion is usually planted there to attract people to begin with which I would also call enticement) now the main problem is that according to the powers that be (your IP), the person who's name the address is registered to is responsible for the usage of that line, so saying someone accessed it when you did not have a password on the wireless connection is that you did not make every attempt to secure the connection, therefore, guilty as indicated.

But back to the original problem, and that is that far too many of these money grabbing so-called lawyers have been sending out demands for money supposedly on behalf of a client to all and-sundry, even to people who have never used let alone owned a PC in there life.