Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: ADSL2+ connection breaks when television is turned on  (Read 9685 times)

richard

• Just arrived
Re: ADSL2+ connection breaks when television is turned on
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2010, 08:15:48 AM »

So much for BT's claim that installing an I-Plate has the same effect as removing the bell wire! :wall:

Actually, an iPlate really should have the same effect as removing the bell wire.  I'm sure I'm not alone in being interested as to why, in your case, it wasn't so.

One possible suggestion... did you disconnect the bell wire at all sockets, or just the master?  It's the master that matters most, though some folks argue for it to be removed at all sockets.

The thing is,  it's not uncommon to find that a property has more than one master socket installed, if that's all the builder had left,  in the mistaken belief it will do no harm.  Actually, it has several drawbacks for ADSL, most notably the fact that it will 'undo' the effect of an iPlate, or of disconnecting the bell wire at the master alone.   But disconnecting from all sockets would mask the effects of a second master.     So, if you disconnected at all sockets, is there any chance there's more than one master socket (recognised by having the capacitor on the PCB)?

I think the engineer I hired removed the bell wire from all sockets.

I'm not sure if my house has multiple master sockets, but I'm not surprised I'm experiencing problems considering what a mess the telephone wiring is. There are several sockets in unusual locations which have never worked.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 01:27:54 PM by richard »

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2010, 10:51:36 AM »

The are several sockets in unusual locations which have never worked.

Non-working sockets may imply a broken conductor.  If it only affects one conducter of the telephony pair, then the surviving conductor acts as a big aerial to pick up interference, just as the bell-wire does in a normal installation.   If that's what was causing the problems, then I'm not surprised an iPlate alone didn't fix it.  Hopefully, a hired engineer would have fixed anything like that, as well as disconnecting the bell wire.

richard

• Just arrived
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2011, 01:27:38 PM »

I thought I'd give a long-overdue update to this thread for the benefit of anyone else experiencing this problem. :)

I found an excellent BT broadband engineer who discovered that the problem was caused by some telephone extension wiring being in very close proximity to the television's wiring. He solved it by disconnecting the bell wire and installing an ADSL-filtered faceplate, to which the router's modem was then connected.

I was also experiencing another problem whereby my Internet connection was often interrupted when the telephone rang. The engineer discovered that this was caused by a fault at my telephone exchange after completely disconnecting the house's wiring from the master socket. Our ISP, Demon, were horrendously uncooperative in resolving the problem, despite their legal obligation to ensure their equipment is in working order. The problem immediately disappeared after I switched to Be (who also use ADSL2+).
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 01:29:52 PM by richard »
Pages: 1 [2]

anything