Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Browser Viewing S/W Required  (Read 5951 times)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
Browser Viewing S/W Required
« on: January 20, 2011, 04:19:20 PM »

I know what I want and hopefully can explain without to much difficulty, I hope.

OK, when I create say a tutorial, I would do all the typing in a text file with most if not all of the various codes such as:-
[ b] bold [/ b]
bold

or 

[ url=http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,1835.0.html] Get you free software here. [/url]

Which would then end up looking like:-

Get you free software here.

Ok, so I now have a page full of information in a text document and would like to see how it would look after using copy and paste "without having to actually open someone's site and actually post it or/and use the preview feature and then scrap it if not happy"

So the question is, what software would I need to use to do that.
Even to be able to use the same software to create the file could be a added bonus but not that necessary.

I have tried Dreamweaver, Front Page and also Publisher but could not get them to do what I wanted it to do.

Thanks.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Browser Viewing S/W Required
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 04:31:29 PM »

Well you've done it here which is viewed in a browser... (hint)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 04:41:33 PM »

Well you've done it here which is viewed in a browser... (hint)
No not really, I did what I did not want to do and that was come onto the internet and use someone else's browser, except in this exception I made a post.

If possible I would like to view the finished result without even going onto the internet, although I don't think that is possible, or is it?

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 05:02:30 PM »

You should be able to do that in Dreamweaver...I do..........by naming you page as the index page then file>preview in browser

Your browser should open and display the page with all the graphics/links/font changes etc.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 05:13:21 PM »

Yes but it's also showing all of the codes, a bit like my original post [ b] bold [/b]

I don't want to see the code, only the result.

I did try various options of page type, PHP and Html, but everything I had typed was then started with various other codes mainly beginning with the more >>> symbols.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 05:16:17 PM by oldfogy »

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 05:19:59 PM »

It shouldn't do that.....it should display the finished article.

There is something awry in your Dreamweaver, but I can't guess what it may be.. :-[

You create your pages as a text file and then import into Dreamweaver..?.. is that by copy and paste ? Perhaps that loses the intent.
Have you tried creating from scratch in Dreamweaver ?

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 05:20:19 PM »

If possible I would like to view the finished result without even going onto the internet, although I don't think that is possible, or is it?
Of course it is, you just create the page in whatever tool and save it somewhere then open it.
(or open it dynamically if the creation program allows that)

Even Microsoft word can do that - "save as Web Page" (various formats offered).

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 05:24:07 PM »

I did my first website using notepad and only notepad.

Code: [Select]
<HTML>
<a href="http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,1835.0.html"><b> Get you free software here!</b></a>
</HTML>

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 05:38:40 PM by BritBrat »

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 05:25:41 PM »

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 05:31:48 PM »

TD
>> is that by copy and paste ? Perhaps that loses the intent.
Have you tried creating from scratch in Dreamweaver ?

Yes, copy and paste complete with all the various codes.
All of the items I want to adjust and view have already been created over a long period of time, what I now want to do is to adjust them "off-line"

HP
>> Word, Save as web page

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

I think the problems is that becaus the coding is also being pasted as said earlier and possibly it's a different type of code that the program/s actually like

geep

• Reg Member
    • My ST546 Statistics
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2011, 06:15:29 PM »

Maybe try Seamonkey - it's wysiwig and fine for basic formatting like bold, font size, colour, and tables.

Cheers,
Peter

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2011, 08:51:21 PM »

I did my first website using notepad and only notepad.

Code: [Select]
<HTML>
<a href="http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,1835.0.html"><b> Get you free software here!</b></a>
</HTML>

[ url=http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,1835.0.html] Get you free software here. [/url]
Get you free software here.

Thanks, but with that I would have to change all of the existing coding that have been used, which would not be too bad if it wasn't for the fact I have literally hundreds of these links to all manner of internet posts and to change all of them is not a option I want to take.

Ok, I'm not going to proceed any further with this as I have actually already been on it for over 2 days and keep coming back with the same result, that being either HTML code being automatically inserted or having to remove the existing format and insert HTML.

Obviously it can be done and it's just a case of finding out how to create my own browser where I can just drop the pages of text into (yes I know it's called a web site) but for what it is I might as well carry on as I have done and just use someone's site with a preview feature.

So the next question would be, is it possible that a post under construction or/and in preview mode can be seen by the sites mods  etc.

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2011, 09:54:18 PM »

Could you write a short bash script to read one file as you have written it. The script would produce an HTML coded output and use sed /regexp/ to output the recoded html. There are many options that spring to mind. i.e. you could convert a whole directory or a single file. The mind boggles at what you could do with a short script and sed.
That's if you are running Linux.
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2011, 09:37:56 PM »

Ok I got what I wanted, a really nice, simple, easy to use tiny program called AHK BBCodeWriter v.7.0 from:-

http://www.autohotkey.net/~AGermanUser/BBCodeWriter/homepage/index.html

It does 99.9% of what I want, basically as far as I can tell so far is it does not recognise the [ center] tags, but I can live with that and took all of 30 seconds to find out how to use it.