Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Browser(s) Problem  (Read 2092 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Browser(s) Problem
« on: January 16, 2011, 08:22:05 AM »

Hi all,

I switched on my pc this morning and promptly opened my browser(I have been using Chrome for the last few days).When the window opened it said that it wasn't responding and my homepage(BBC)wouldn't load.Tried another site with the same results,so I closed the browser and then tried Opera and FF both with the same 'not responding'results.
I then closed down my pc and re started...tried again and all opened and loaded ok,what could have been the cause of that,it has never happened before. ???

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: Browser(s) Problem
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 08:24:29 AM »

First thing I check when something like that happens is my router to see if it is connected, following that I check to see if DNS is working.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 09:29:18 AM »

It must have been your PC's network interface which wasn't working temporarily for some reason. It may have just been a glitch, or a loose cable, or an intermittent hardware problem, even possibly a problem with your PC's memory. There are so many possibilities that it's very difficult to identify the actual cause. Check that your cables are all firmly inserted and cross your fingers that it doesn't happen again. :)

(Actually, on reflection, Broadstairs is right - it could have been a temporary loss of DNS.)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 09:45:32 AM by roseway »
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 09:51:59 AM »

Thanks for your replies guys.  :)

Its never happened before,so hopefully  :fingers: it won't happen again.

I connect via ethernet cable,never use wireless,and I leave my router switched  on 24/7.It did show the pc was connected to the internet this morning(the globe over the 2 screens was there in the system tray)