Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Will BT infinity be effected by poor cabling?  (Read 4981 times)

hungledink

Will BT infinity be effected by poor cabling?
« on: January 14, 2011, 12:13:17 PM »

At the moment I am on sky broadband. I had an Openreach engineer visit this week and he advised me that the cable connecting from the cabinet to my property, a distance of about 500 yards, seems faulty.

The reason for the diagnosis was that my adsl connection lost 1.5meg in speed from the cabinet to the property.

He told sky that they should have some underground work done but they wont do it so I am moving to BT infinity.

So, the question is, if the cable from cabinet to property is faulty for adsl broadband, will it have an adverse effect on BT infinity speeds?

Thanks for any help.

lemzip

Re: Will BT infinity be effected by poor cabling?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 12:25:28 PM »

yep, but to a lesser extent as previous. Depending on the fault, the copper is the weakest link in the chain and that will just elevate the issue.

However how much you loose, i am unsure.

hungledink

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 12:29:42 PM »

The current adsl line is also very unstable, dropping out at least once a day. Will infinity drop out because of this?

lemzip

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 12:46:36 PM »

do you know the cause of the drop out?

Infinity works on a different tech, ideally when you get the installation, the engineer sets up the connection and tests for max stable rate.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 01:39:28 PM »

Adding to LemZip's question:-

It would be useful to enter your data in this link to guess the proportions of E side and D side cables.
The Infinity solution will only use the D side cable.

It is also unclear to me what, if any, BT Openreach commitment there is in an Infinity contract to improve (or maintain) the broadband performance.
This might contrast with standard exchange-based broadband where there is DEFINITELY No Universal Service Obligation to repair broadband faults if a tolerable 3 kHz audio phone line connection is possible.

Kind regards,
Walter

hungledink

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 01:45:04 PM »

Thanks for the replys so far.

Am not sure how to get the stats you requested. Is it these?

Port    Status    TxPkts    RxPkts    Collisions    Tx B/s    Rx B/s    Up Time
WAN    PPPoA    19779    25919    0    40    603    3:14:34
LAN         19    0    0    0    0    94:16:42
WLAN         2898009    1817643    0    0    54    94:16:15
ADSL Link    Downstream    Upstream
Connection Speed    2592 kbps    416 kbps
Line Attenuation    55.0 db    31.5 db
Noise Margin    8.0 db    16.0 db

With regards the instability, not sure why it drops out. The engineer tested the speed at the cabinet and got stable sync of 4meg. At the property I have an unstable 2.5 at the best of times. He tested internal wiring so thats not the issue.

He said he would have to do some underground work to find out what was causing the problem. Sky wouldnt request this work to be carried out so I decided to go for Inifniity.

Am now worried the issues may re occur.

lemzip

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 02:20:26 PM »

If thats the case, it will have a impact on your service, how great well we have no idea until you go live and see.

I doubt you will get as many disconnections however you might not see the full potential of the line due to the issue. Again, the effect of this can only be determined when you go live. Do you know the location of your steet cab? How far are you from it?

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 02:31:43 PM »

If you put your data in here:-

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php

You will see that your D side is around 0.5 km from about 4 km total line length.
In theory that should give you a significant advantage, but it does depend upon the problem in your D side cable.

Have you done the 17070 option 2 quiet line test?
You could also try Routerstats or Routerstats lite to obtain graphs.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/routers/log_routerstats.htm

Kind regards,
Walter

hungledink

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 02:42:24 PM »

Have done the 17070 line test. Apparently the test is slightly different as my phone line is currently with sky, however, the outcome was that the line quality was excellent.

I guess the best thing to do would be to wait and see. Have had an awful time with sky lately tho but hope I am worrying unnecessarily.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 02:46:49 PM by hungledink »

hungledink

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2011, 05:14:12 PM »

Just been reading about issues similar to mine. There appears to be a know problem of the use of aluminium cables which cause slow broadband, instead of copper. Is there any way for me to see if this is what I am on?

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2011, 06:09:51 PM »

Have done the 17070 line test. Apparently the test is slightly different as my phone line is currently with sky, however, the outcome was that the line quality was excellent.

I guess the best thing to do would be to wait and see. Have had an awful time with sky lately tho but hope I am worrying unnecessarily.

Most engineers I know hate the SKY 17070. You get a female American voice saying "Hi, I'm Zoe and I'm here to make sure your line is the best it can be" ....... or something near to that.

Regarding your cable make up (Copper/Aluminium), I'd personally be very, very surprised if you can access a web-site allowing vision of this.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2011, 11:26:07 PM »

Hi HungleDink,

It's tea and bacon butty time with your local BT Openreach engineer !
They all hate aluminium as it goes brittle and corrodes in the crimp joints so it's usually possible to detect the answer.
However it won't cause the replacement, just possibly remaking the crimp joints.
They do have to be very careful as they can so easily disturb another pair but won't necessarily know they have done so.

Kind regards,
Walter

anything