Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Java 6 update23  (Read 4407 times)

mywifeshusband

Java 6 update23
« on: January 12, 2011, 08:13:09 PM »

Having problems with Windows XP prof. blocking Java update V6 update 23. Loaded fine on my laptop (Windows XP home) but the 'BIG' PC produced the Windows window saying it was having problems with the digital signature of JRE1.60_23-pfrom22.msi  and it won't install. Tried everything I know (which ain't much) so I thought I'd try the experts. Any ideas? I'm using V22 without problems by Java keeps reminding me with pop ups they have something better to offer. Pity I can't seem to use it. Oh yes Norton 360 has been run to bring registry, files, & bugs/ viruses under proper control. The only other thing that I have done which might be something to do with it is install recently Adonis True image and having it do a nonstop update onto an external hard drive. Can't see how the two are connected but I thought I should just mention it.

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
Re: Java 6 update23
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 07:08:06 AM »

Have you tried with the resident protection part of your AV turned off ?
Have you tried in safe mode ?
Have you given the relevant permissions to your firewall ?

If you have but to no avail, then it could be that your existing installation of Java is corrupt.
If so, go control panel>add or remove programs and uninstall that current version. Then go c:/program files and delete any residual Java folders....then go c:/program files/common files and delete any Java folders.

Reboot and then do a clean install of the latest version........would recommend a clean malware free version from filehippo http://www.filehippo.com/download_jre_32/

mywifeshusband

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 04:31:34 PM »

Thanks for your suggestions. It was though simpler than anything you suggested. I 'paused' Acronis True Image - nonstop update and the Java update loaded straight away.  Shows the simple solutions are often the right ones. I can't remember though any instructions about pausing Acronis in order to load new software, Have I missed something?

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 06:57:34 AM »

I'm glad you have resolved the problem... :thumbs:

I had not thought of Acronis being the culprit... :-[ ....and I must confess that you now have ne a bit worried as to why my Acronis does not act in the same way.  ???
Will have to investigate.  :)

mywifeshusband

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 04:10:15 PM »

Thanks. Look forward to seeing how this thread develops. Sure there must be an answer out there somewhere!

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 04:38:29 PM »

Is Acronis True Image a java application perhaps?
  Eric