Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Site Downtime  (Read 4803 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Site Downtime
« on: September 06, 2007, 11:42:45 AM »

It would appear that the site had some downtime this morning which meant that people would have had problems accessing the main site and the forums.

The only info that I have so far is this.

We're just writing to let you know that the server which hosts your account, is currently experiencing some disk problems. Our technicians are working on the issue and we hope to have a resolution shortly.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
Re: Site Downtime
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 11:57:23 AM »

My last post was at 01:37 am this morning and I had also been flitting in and out fairly frequently all night and never experienced any problems.

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 01:06:17 PM »

I couldn't get on at 5.30, nor at 8.30.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Achilles Last Stand

• Kitizen
  • http://www.saveplanetrock.co.uk/ Save Planet Rock!
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 01:36:49 PM »

I tried just after 8am with no luck - and Kate had problems too.

Can't have been down too long then  :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 04:52:14 PM »

Thought I best let everyone know just in case they had had any problems and wondered what it was.

Got this through later

We're pleased to say the server is now back online and operating normally, with no data loss or corruption. However if you do notice any problems with your account, please let us know immediately and we will investigate for you.

The problems were caused by corruption to the filesystem, causing the server to switch to a read-only mode to prevent data loss. We rebooted the system to run a filesystem check, which scanned the system and successfully corrected any problems that were found. The server then came back online at approximately 10am.

We apologise again for the disruption and do not anticipate any further issues, although we may reboot the system late in the evening which will cause only a few minutes' downtime while we update the system's firmware as a precaution.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 06:45:53 PM »

I get the impression that these guys are competent.
  Eric

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2007, 07:33:59 PM »

I get the impression that these guys are competent.

Eric,
At least they won't have to post on a certain help forum that we know to ask for assistance.  :P

dave

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2007, 07:53:07 PM »

>>  get the impression that these guys are competent

Well Obviously I'm not happy that there was a problem in the first place, but Im well aware that things can and do go wrong.

In the grand scheme of things Ive not really been with them that long, and I still feel I took a bit of a "chance" since I'd never really heard of them before.. but all the research (believe me it took a long time to decide) I did came back good.

Obviously they arent the likes of 1+1 or 123-reg (whom Ive used in the past and ditched), but I had several requirements that some of the larger hosting providers didnt do without running into 4 figures pa.
A couple of other hosting services turned me down for their packages since my bandwidth requirements were a bit too high for what considered normal usage :/

So far support have been very good and I dont think Ive ever had to wait longer than about 1/2 hour for a reply to a ticket.  Ive asked them some out of norm requests and generally theyve obliged and even on occasion gone the extra mile (re the server move).  I dont think you'd get that sort of service nor flexability at one of the larger hosts. They do seem pretty much on the ball.
-----

anything