Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: A rant about Windows 7 and my HP Laserjet 1010.  (Read 4885 times)

geep

• Reg Member
    • My ST546 Statistics
A rant about Windows 7 and my HP Laserjet 1010.
« on: February 16, 2011, 12:48:53 PM »

Just upgraded from XP to Windows 7.
Checked beforehand with MS Upgrade Advisor that my printer - HP Laserjet 1010 - supported. It says it is.
Install Win 7 - Laserjet 1010 not supported. Surpise, surprise!
Aha thinks I, I'll run the printer off a Virtual Machine with Vista - it's supported there.
Install Vista. Install driver. Works, sort of. Printer Preferences crashes. Can't change paper size etc.
Googling finds loads of people swearing about similar problem with HP printers on Vista.
Hours later - persuaded the XP driver to install on Win 7 and run perfectly.
Even though the install process apparently failed, and rolled back saying nothing was changed on my PC!

The predecessor printer was an Epson Inkjet with 4 (expensive) cartridges.
It refused to print black and white documents when any of the colour cartridges were empty.
And was always clagging up. Local Epson repair centre told me it's a normal Epson feature. You need to use
it every day. That's why I changed to the Laserjet - and in 4 years I'm still on the first toner cartridge.

Rant over.
Cheers,
Peter

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: A rant about Windows 7 and my HP Laserjet 1010.
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 12:54:07 PM »

How old is a 1010 by the way?

I plugged a really ancient (pre-millenium?) HP Laserjet 6P into the parallel port of my W7 (64-bit) machine recently and within a minute it was all working without any effort from me - recognised, drivers installed etc etc all automatic and no issues at all.
I was amazed.  :o

geep

• Reg Member
    • My ST546 Statistics
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 01:08:34 PM »

The firmware is dated 2003. I thought I bought it in 2006, but perhaps earlier.

I was looking at toner cartridge specs - HP give a sealed shelf life of 2.5 years, and 6 months once opened.
Reckon I'm doing well there.

Just tried to get an ancient parallel port HP Inkjet 720c running on my sister's new Win 7 64bit laptop using a usb to parallel adapter cable. The printer is recognised, drivers are installed automatically but it just won't print.
The job appears fleetingly on the print queue and vanishes into cyberspace. No errors, nothing; just no printing.

So she went to Tesco and bought a new HP Allinone wireless printer/scanner for about £35. Amazing value.
It worked instantly via usb, and wirelessly after just a few moments to sort out the MAC address for wireless security.

(Added - hmm - just a thought - the security setup was on her router - so that the printer can connect to her network.
Wonder if the neighbours can see the printer and print to it? All her neighbours have networks).

Cheers,
Peter

« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 01:13:55 PM by geep »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 04:03:15 PM »

(Added - hmm - just a thought - the security setup was on her router - so that the printer can connect to her network.
Wonder if the neighbours can see the printer and print to it? All her neighbours have networks).

If the wireless network is secured with WPA/WPA2 they won't be able to connect to it.
  Eric

geep

• Reg Member
    • My ST546 Statistics
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 06:03:48 PM »

If the wireless network is secured with WPA/WPA2 they won't be able to connect to it.
It is - that's OK then.
Cheers.