Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Laptop LH side screen problems  (Read 7069 times)

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
Laptop LH side screen problems
« on: January 08, 2011, 11:33:47 AM »

Hi,
I didn't think I'd be talking about problems so soon after having got the laptop but here I am.  It's an HP G72 17.3" screen (good definition), but there's a shadowed stripe about 1" in width down the left hand side of it and has been there since I had it, I thought it was part of the "decor"  ::)  However, in the last few days the strip has turned into very fine coloured lines, they don't always stay prominent as some fade, then come back again and then go back to the shadow stripe.  You can read things through the shadow and the lines (that's why I thought it was meant to be), but now I notice that the wording under it is distorted....the stripe is always on top so everything else is underneath it.

Googled for info on it and have seen mentioned graphics card and/or pixels et al....I don't think this should be happening so should take it back methinks.  When I do and if they replace it.....how do I erase all my info off of the laptop (I don't store passwords et al) but it will have my email address et al and I've also registered it with HP...what do I do about that...sigh....?

Would appreciate some comments please...many thanks  :)

Chrissie
Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Laptop LH side screen problems
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 11:50:54 AM »

The laptop certainly shouldn't be doing that, and as it's new I think that taking it back is what you should do. I'm afraid I don't know anything about Windows, so can't help with erasing the data, but I have a feeling that others will be along very shortly. :)
  Eric

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 11:55:32 AM »

I would expect it to be repairable, so no need to erase. The vendor will advise when you take it to show them.

Chances are it's either a ribbon cable loose, or more likely a fault in the screen. Replacing the screen is a fairly simple task so will probably be what they do. It might have to be sent away for that but it's literally just a few minutes work in most laptops.

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 12:25:49 PM »

I would expect it to be repairable, so no need to erase. The vendor will advise when you take it to show them.

Chances are it's either a ribbon cable loose, or more likely a fault in the screen. Replacing the screen is a fairly simple task so will probably be what they do. It might have to be sent away for that but it's literally just a few minutes work in most laptops.

Hi HP

The fact is the lappy is only 3 weeks old, only used to 2 weeks...so really I wouldn't like to accept a repair on it....could be summat else to go wrong later if you know what I mean.  I will see what they say though but pretty sure it's not the done thing to accept a repair on something so new. :-\

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 12:45:47 PM »

Take it back to shop as the longer you leave it the less rights you have.

See what they say but I agree with you and would not want it repaired but have a new replacement.

If they argue about that ask for a refund and buy it somewhere else.

Make sure you remove any personal data before returning it.

You can just delete Email accounts.

Also run CCleaner to clear temp and other data.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 12:51:36 PM by BritBrat »

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 01:07:57 PM »

but there's a shadowed stripe about 1" in width down the left hand side of it and has been there since I had it

As to a new replacement,they might argue why didn't you contact them as soon as you spotted it.

Not sure where you stand legally demanding a new replacement.Have you checked the stores t&c's on this?

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 01:10:21 PM »

Out of interest what did the computer do the first time it was switched on?

Did it go through like an install procedure that took quite some time?

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2011, 02:09:18 PM »

I wouldn't like to accept a repair on it
It's your choice, probably, provided you're quick.
It's a trade-off, how much trouble to erase and start all over vs the potential risk (and time taken) of repair.

Personally, I think the risk of a "dodgy" repair is minimal, it's just a module swap. Make sure it's still then covered under the original warranty or better.

If it was me I'd accept a repair provided it was done quickly and I was compensated for out-of-pocket costs (getting back to the shop, etc.)

robinsteele

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2011, 03:01:37 PM »

I would do a system recovery and take it back for a full refund.The last Laptop I bought went back to PC World because of a dead pixel,and I got back my £350 in cash.Theres no way I would accept them putting it for a repair........
Always looking for freebie HQ

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2011, 04:32:07 PM »

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your input.  It was bought from John Lewis and we have bought 2 pc's from them in the past (still going  :)).  It was bought for my bday 20th Dec, daughter started it up and set it up on 19th December.  The shadow line has been there since I had it but I honestly thought it was just a Windows 7 peculiarity, not having used it before...especially as you can read through the shadow line.  Then the fine coloured lines appeared about 2 nights ago then go back to the shadow then back to the lines so I feared there was something wrong.

I am hoping that John Lewis is as good as they have been in the past when we had a problem with tv we bought from them and they sorted it post haste.  However, I went online last week looking on their site and to look up the spec of the laptop.  I saw that they had reduced it by £30 and just took a chance and emailed them and asked if they would refund the difference on it and honestly didn't think they would (you don't know until you ask).  BUT they very kind did it that day....brilliant firm and I know that from over the years I've bought from them.  I can only hope that my asking for the discount due to it being reduced within a week of buying it won't go against me but then again I don't think it should.  Phew...sorry it's a long post but wanted to explain it, thanks for your help it's great of you to take the trouble.

Chrissie x

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2011, 04:42:31 PM »

John Lewis is a whole different universe to PC World. You'll be fine.

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2011, 05:01:48 PM »

John Lewis, thats good news I was dreading you got it from PC World.

When you first started it up did it go through an install procedure?

Reason I ask is was it pre used.

Did you get an option to make backup discs?

Do a search of all files *.* and note oldest date although some system files may show older so you may have to decide if they are, if you see any user files older than when you first started it up maybe it was faulty and returned by someone else.

Chances of JL doing that would be minimal on the other hand PC world have been known to do it.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 05:08:46 PM by BritBrat »

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2011, 06:00:03 PM »

John Lewis is a whole different universe to PC World. You'll be fine.

Totally agree,they are one of the best online and in store retailers.I have used them many times and always been 100% satisfied.

Good luck Chrissie and keep us posted of the outcome.  :fingers:  :)

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2011, 11:21:58 AM »

Sorry I've not got back to you before re the laptop.  Took it back to John Lewis, in their tech department they did a factory restore on it to see if it was software problems but it came up the same on screen so no hesitation in full replacement, guarantee to start anew etc.  I can never fault this brilliant firm especially after reading some about the problems some peeps have with other firms (who shall remain nameless  :D) so am really pleased with the outcome and with no hassle to ourselves.  They even gave us a ticket to get a coffee and pastry foc which they didn't have to...so a public thanks to John Lewis for their best service  ;D

I haven't set the new one up yet but will try later today...wish me luck as I didn't do the first one DD did that....so if I shout for help - will someone hear me  :lol:

Thank you all for your input...can't fault this wonderful forum either. 

:clap: :thumbs: :friends:

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2011, 11:27:53 AM »

Well done John Lewis! They're an excellent company. :clap2:

And if you shout for help, then of course we'll hear you. :)
  Eric
Pages: [1] 2