Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Low profile question  (Read 2447 times)

cbailey

• Just arrived
Low profile question
« on: December 28, 2010, 09:25:37 AM »

Hi all,
I have been doing a far bit of digging on your site regarding my problem. I believe the answer may be 'wait 3 days' but I am not sure considering the vast differences in numbers.

I am a Demon internet customer. Have been for many years.

I have a Billion 7800N router.

Previously I had a 6ish Mbps connection. Over the last few weeks, the addition of a new telephone has created a few problems on my net access which I have now removed. As a consequence of this, much router resetting went on about 2 days ago. Lots and lots (oops).

Now I have a solid sync of 7744 downstream sync speed - this has been left on and stable for currently 26 hours. The problem I have is my BT IP profile (from bt speedtest) is 750Kbps. This means actual throughput is .75mbps.

Could someone kind enough take a quick look at these stats and explain if I should still be waiting for the profile to raise?

WAN  
Port       Protocol VPI/VCI        Operation   Connection   
ADSL   PPPoA 0/38      1 Day(s) 01:34:23   

Upstream   448
Downstream   7744
SNR Margin(Upstream)   24.0
SNR Margin(Downstream)   13.4
Line Attenuation(Upstream)   12.5
Line Attenuation(Downstream)   23.0

I would have thought as I have 10x the sync rate vs the 750k profile rate, that I should have has some increase in the current 1 day+ of stability.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 09:33:02 AM by cbailey »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Low profile question
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 10:33:19 AM »

Hi and welcome,

Although the IP profile is supposed to recover more quickly when there is a large difference between the values, there's no guarantee of that. It depends in some way on how busy the exchange is at the time, but don't ask me what that means exactly. It can take up to 5 days, and BT won't intervene manually within that period, so I'm afraid that the answer is, as you say, wait a few more days.
  Eric

cbailey

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 10:23:14 AM »

Quick update, 3 days and it changed. Its now 6500 which I am happy with :). It may be capable of more but 6.5mbps is a nice speed :)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 10:53:47 AM »

That's good. It looks as though your target noise margin was increased during the unstable period, and this is reducing your connection speed somewhat, although not really enough to make any practical difference. If your connection is now good and stable, the target noise margin may get reduced in steps over several weeks to give you just a bit more speed.
  Eric

cbailey

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 10:56:54 AM »

Many thanks for providing what is essentially free technical consultancy. Take care  :graduate:

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2010, 11:26:55 AM »

You're welcome :)
  Eric

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2010, 11:41:44 AM »

I hope you don't mind me pointing out the useful button at the top right hand corner of the page. :)
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

billy171

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 11:51:45 PM »

Hi and welcome,

Although the IP profile is supposed to recover more quickly when there is a large difference between the values, there's no guarantee of that. It depends in some way on how busy the exchange is at the time, but don't ask me what that means exactly. It can take up to 5 days, and BT won't intervene manually within that period, so I'm afraid that the answer is, as you say, wait a few more days.

I did see in a BTw document somewhere that IP profiles that are due to be uprated are held in an electronic database, and although the norm is for an update to take place normally 3-5 days depending on increase level .... they are in fact scheduled according to the database as well as the blip logic within DLM .... apparently in an effort to sustain maximum stability of bandwidth on the network .... which clearly is fluid at best.

anything