Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What will it cost to replace an old star-wired set up with NTE5?  (Read 13956 times)

razpag

• Reg Member
Re: What will it cost to replace an old star-wired set up with NTE5?
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2011, 08:20:25 PM »

Firstly, I would have asked your Broadband SP to raise an SFI/SFI2 engineering visit. Most (if not all) SP's are happy to pay for us (as opposed to you paying) to rehash the old PSTN star-wiring of old, into a fashion more suited to DSL transmission. At the end of the day, the SP doesn't want 'Repeat Reports' of any kind on your circuit, just as you dont want 'repeat faults' on the circuit.

Secondly, it is not only in our remit to replace ANY obsolete Master Sockets for the new NTE5's, it is also a 'Quality failure' if we dont. This leads to disciplinary action of we engineers, so he wasn't just 'doing you a favour'. Also, the upgrade of the NTE5 is cost-free ...... unless of course there's obvious damage like a bloody big axe stuck in it.

Yes, the old 'Dropwire 6' (ribbed wire) has a larger poundage than the newer 'Dropwire 10', but for the distance it is used, it will have little or no effect whatsoever on speed. What the newer 'Dropwire 10' will do, is eliminate 'Noise' far,far better than 'Dropwire 6' due to the wiring being twisted pairs, as mentioned by another OP earlier. In other words, the DW10 is more suited to DSL than the DW6.

coolsnakeman

• Reg Member
    • IT Support Belfast
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2011, 08:53:55 PM »

I knew it was in openreach's remit to replace that socket just wasn't 100% sure.

radlord

• Just arrived
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2011, 11:53:41 PM »

Hi guys I have this post office termination block thing running in on my bathroom window - good to know finally what to even call it! It runs through to the only phone socket in the flat, which again is of the type the OP posted the picture of.

There's nothing overly, repeatably wrong with the setup but I feel sure we should be connecting at a higher speed than we do considering the proximity of the exchange, they did try to put it up to the full 12meg but it was too unreliable to use.

Am I right in thinking that BT will not charge me to 'regularise' this wiring? Or does there have to be an identifiable fault on the line for them to come out? There is often hiss on the line but I rarely use the phone and always assumed it was the cheap rubbish cordless phones we have. However the line is clearly not great and the wiring cannot be helping. Plus that post office block cant be in the best place, in a steamy bathrooom.
Pages: 1 [2]