Broadband Related > ISPs

SKY - Anyone here using the ISP?

(1/5) > >>

BritBrat:
I have just noticed my exchange has SKY LLU according to Samknows and Sky checker.

So what are they like?

--- Quote ---Great news - you're in a Sky Broadband network area, so you can choose from Sky Broadband Everyday Lite or Unlimited. You can also benefit from free evening and weekend UK* landline calls with Sky Talk and you'll save £5 per month on Sky Broadband with any Sky Talk calls package.

--- End quote ---

I have resisted TalkTalk for ages.

kitz:
I put my parents on Sky a few years ago. 

The adsl is ok, although their latency is quite high (90ms to the BBC) as interleaving is turned on by default. 
You can actually request for the depth of interleaving to be reduced.

If they say 2Mb then they actually mean sync at 2000 kbps which obviously means throughput will be less than this.  Most other ISPs allow some sort of overhead for sync to throughput.
Its not impossible, but generally speaking you have to use their supplied router.

Support is typical large company with 1st line being scripted.   Had fun once trying to get a router replaced until I got through to TS  (funny story on that one because I insisted it was the router and then it dawned on the guy who I was).   
It may be unlucky but Ive known 2 of their sagem routers give up the ghost after about 2 years use, (my brothers packed in the week before xmas) so you could be without adsl for about a week whilst they send the replacement through.

-------------

I find the worst thing about their full LLU service is that it can sometimes seems to take them ages to swap you over.   They use their own sky engineers to hook up the adsl service, who wont do it until at least  a week after the phone.

For example my daughter ordered the full service in Nov '99.   BT did their bit and they had phone by Dec..  but it was end Jan early Feb before they actually got their adsl service.
Same thing happened to my friends daughter Leigh in about Aug this year.  BT disconnected their service, but was 2 months before they got adsl.

:( :(

BritBrat:
Now you are scaring me, I would hate to be without a net sevice for even a day not weeks.

If people are not on LLU service it seems to be the worst service you can get from any other ISP or so I have read.

As for router I would use theirs for a bit then try and extract user name and pass/mac and try and set up a spare or use one of my own, I know it is against T&C but supplied router is only wirless G.

UncleUB:
Just to add what Kitz has said,my niece had Sky install her a phone line in September,it was 2 weeks later that her Sky LLU broadband went live.She got so fed up with phoning them to find out what was happening.

BritBrat:
I don't want to move phone just take up broadband.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version