Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Really Stupid Question (connecting 2 PC's)  (Read 10911 times)

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
Really Stupid Question (connecting 2 PC's)
« on: September 04, 2007, 08:26:46 AM »

OK, I know I'm going to sound stupid, but I wish to connect two PC's, something which, despite years of playing with computers, I've never done before.  I wouldn't ask this over at the other place for fear of getting laughed at.

Both comps are on XP, and both have ethernet connectors, so I'm simply asking, what is the best way to connect them (I have a crossover cable) so that they can also share an internet connection.  (I use a thompson speedtouch modem).
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Really Stupid Question (connecting 2 PC's)
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 09:00:34 AM »

You could connect them directly using the crossover cable, and no doubt XP has the software to handle it, but you would need either another ethernet port or a wireless connection on one of them to get the internet access. Then you would have to use Internet Connection Sharing, which is a bit of a mess.

Far better is to plug each one into the router (if it's a 4-port model) or if not then buy a cheap 4-port ethernet switch and plug them into that, with a cable from the switch to the router. Either way, internet access should be more or less automatic if the router is acting as a DHCP server (which it would be by default). You will be able to set up directory sharing between the PCs by using Windows Explorer. Select a directory to be shared on one PC, and use 'Map Network Drive' on the other one to connect to it.

Good luck! It should be straightforward.
  Eric

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 09:04:03 AM »

Ummm, I don't have a router.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 09:30:12 AM »

Ah! Sorry. I misunderstood.

Then your only option without buying anything more is to connect the ethernet ports together using the crossover cable and use Internet Connection Sharing to give internet access to the second PC (the one not connected to the modem). I don't use Windows, so I can't help with the nuts and bolts of this.

But a router would be a much more satisfactory solution, because then each PC would be independent (to use ICS both PCs have to be up and running). And a router gives you a lot of extra security as well. If money is tight there are some very low cost B-grade bargains at http://www.dsldepot.co.uk/index.asp?
  Eric

Pwiggler

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 12:17:23 PM »

i'd go with a pci nic which u can pick up for 5 quid, use the crossover cable to connect em and then run the ics wizard in xp ..... worked 4 me 4 ages. 

only draw back is that the pc connected to the net needs 2 b switched on 2 use the net on the other pc.

if u've got a bit more dosh then do what eric said and get a cheap switch ... then the pc's can b used independently.

Paul

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2007, 12:40:44 PM »

Well the second PC is only a back up, so I'd always have the primary one on anyway... beats swapping the modem over.

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2007, 04:09:56 PM »

I am by no means a techie, so please excuse me if I am putting my foot in it, but is there not such as think as a "serial A" cable, with usb plugs at both ends which can be usb'd to the two comps and then in the receiving machine run the Windows File and Settings Transfer Wizard..no need for an internet connection if that will do the trick.

Pwiggler

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2007, 05:01:32 PM »

yeah tuftedduck, it has a small 'noggin' in the middle of the cable which is actually 2 network cards but it costs a bit more than the above and they're quite slow in my experience.

Paul

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2007, 05:08:28 PM »

Aaaaaaahhhhhhh, in that case I will go away and leave it to the techies.

Pwiggler

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2007, 05:57:29 PM »

no tufty ... still a good idea but a bit more money  :)
Paul

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2007, 11:33:43 PM »

Floyd,
This is Mike's standard blurb from the'other place' about networking two computers:

http://tinyurl.com/2b6kng

Hope it is of use
dave

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2007, 12:58:33 AM »

Both comps are on XP, and both have ethernet connectors, so I'm simply asking, what is the best way to connect them (I have a crossover cable) so that they can also share an internet connection.  (I use a thompson speedtouch modem).
> (I use a Thompson speed-touch modem).
Is that USB ?
Or if you still have a spare "Ethernet connector" (RJ45) then just connect the"Crossover" RJ45 cable.

Run the XP Network setup Wizard on the first PC (just follow the simple instructions) if you have a floppy disc chose the option to save the settings to the floppy, then run the same XP Network Setup Wizard on the second PC, (it will ask for the floppy at some stage).
If you don't have a floppy, "don't worry about it" just run the wizard any-way.

If you have problems after that, make sure you actually have a "Crossover" cable and not a "Straight through" cable.

Going one step further:
Should you decide to use a Router or Hub, these can use a combination of Crossover & Straight through cables.
So check at the time of purchase, and don't mix-up the cables as they look identical.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2007, 11:33:42 AM »

Theres a few different ways which you can do this...
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/networking.htm

On there theres an example using crossover cable and ICS.

Although x-over cable is the cheapest method (should be ok for what you are trying to do )...
the preferred (best) and probably easiest in the long term is using a 4 port adsl router.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2007, 02:05:21 PM »

Another dumb question... what is ICS?

Well thanks for all the advice guys and girls... I have made a tentative attempt with a crossover cable that I 'rescued' whilst at Son of Floydoid's, but I think the cable is crackered (one end doesn't fit in properly), but I have one earmarked at ebuyer which will get lobbed onto my next order (the graphics upgrade).

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2007, 03:23:10 PM »

Not at all..

ICS = Internet Connection Sharing
- ICS being the "software" in Windows which allows 2 or more networked computers to share a single Internet connection and you'll need to use it to enable the other PC to access via the main PC.

Theres a link on the page I gave with a full explanation on how to set up ICS
http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/ics_xp

If youre using x-over cable then the main PC becomes what they call the "hub".
When you run the Network Wizard on the 2nd machine Select "This computer connects to the internet through a residential gateway or through another computer on my network".
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker
Pages: [1] 2