Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Avast new vesion  (Read 3808 times)

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
Avast new vesion
« on: January 01, 2011, 07:48:22 AM »

New version of Avast ( free and paid for) available today......version 5.1.864 and you will get a blue pop-up from Avast advertising this.

Treat with caution as a lot of users are having problems if they update "over the top" of an existing installation....which problem does not occur on a fresh, clean installation.

Perhaps we should hold off from updating until some advices come from Avast techs.

jazz

• Reg Member
Re: Avast new vesion
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 10:31:42 AM »

Thanks for the info and warning TD!  I agree it is wise to hold off updating until the the whole thing seems to be settled down! :)

jazz

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 04:53:09 PM »

I have just updated to Avast 5.1.864 using the "Maintenance" window link from within my current Avast version.  I have had no problems in updating over the top of my previous version so I guess whatever issues there may have been are now resolved. :)

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 05:04:17 PM »

The issue was ( and still is) that altough the program and the defs. update without hitch, on certain configurations of OS/hardware drivers some of the resident shields ceased to function.

If you check whatever shield you have running....if they are performing as they should you will be ok.

The ridiculous thing is that Avast are actually advising users to download and install the next version....which is still only at RC stage. When the final of that will be released is not yet known.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 06:34:07 PM »

I wonder if that is what "was" causing some of my shields to turn off on their own account?

I know it was not me, but occasionally I would notice part of Avast was turned off, but it seems to have settled down now and is working ok.

jazz

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 09:30:43 AM »

Thanks again TD - I appreciate the information.  I have checked that all our shields are working ok (both on my desktop XP3 system and on my wife's Vista laptop) and all seems well. 

I've always found Avast very straightforward since I moved to it from McAfee several years ago so I hope that they will get on with releasing their next version quickly to overcome any problems that others may be having.

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 02:10:58 PM »

New update to version 5.1.889 available today from the "update program" button.

This fixes the bugs evident in the last update as discussed above.....plus some more security and stability issues.

I have updated and all is sweetness and light.  :)

jazz

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 10:20:25 AM »

Thank you once again TD.  I've updated and all is working well. :)

anything