Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Ofcom - Tackling consumer confusion over call charges  (Read 2784 times)

BritBrat

• Kitizen
Ofcom - Tackling consumer confusion over call charges
« on: December 19, 2010, 07:55:16 AM »

Proposals to tackle consumer concern and confusion over the cost of calling businesses and other organisations on numbers such as 03, 08, 09 and 118 were today published by Ofcom.

Tackling consumer confusion over call charges

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: Ofcom - Tackling consumer confusion over call charges
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 08:47:48 AM »

About time......0800 should be free from whatever phone you use and also why can't 0845/0870 be the same cost from mobiles as from landlines?

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 09:13:28 AM »

0845 really annoys me when they say it is a local rate call, there is no rate called local.

And when I end up having to listen to a long menu and press buttons knowing I am paying more that I should do I become even more angry, and if that call is to sort out a customer issue I am already wound up before I get to speek to anyone.

I do use saynoto0870 and look for international phone number as they are quite often 01 or 02 just remove the +44 and insert a 0 before the number.

A few years ago I decided to get even so anyone who uses 084 and will not give a geographic number I give them 084 number :)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 10:14:22 AM »

Our GP's number is 0845 which is very annoying.

I do use saynoto0870 and look for international phone number as they are quite often 01 or 02 just remove the +44 and insert a 0 before the number.

I do as well,but in some cases there isn't an alternative.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 11:11:07 AM »

anyone who uses 084 and will not give a geographic number I give them 084 number :)
Yes I've got a couple of "free" 0844 numbers.
One I use for internet-related stuff where you have to give out a number (e.g. US domain registration) but there's no real justification for it.
The other is for "private" stuff where businesses insist on you calling an 0844 number. Some of them get really "miffed" as they say they can't call those numbers, but what's sauce for the goose....  ;D

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 11:53:45 AM »

You cant call 0845 from outside UK that is why they have the geographic 01 numbers.

They also get upset when you tell them you recorded the call even though they said it would be recorded at the start.  more goose :)

Start saying its illegal but it is not so long as you are party to the call and not recording remotely.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 11:56:46 AM by BritBrat »