Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Hard Drive complete clean Freeware  (Read 4662 times)

canon

• Reg Member
Hard Drive complete clean Freeware
« on: September 02, 2007, 01:18:49 PM »

Hi,
Can anyone recommend some freeware that can COMPLETELY remove files from a hard drive please.
Someone I know is getting  a free PC or two, from a company, but they need make sure all data is properly removed.
Thanks,
Terry.

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
Re: Hard Drive complete clean Freeware
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2007, 01:24:11 PM »

I don't know of a free program, but you do need one that overwrites the disk many times, otherwise the data will still be recoverable. Can't think of the name of one off-hand, but I'm sure you could find something on Ebay for a few quid.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2007, 03:58:50 PM »

Only one I know of is Active killdisk.
http://www.killdisk.com/

They do a free version but Ive never used it so cant comment any further Im afraid.

http://www.killdisk.com/downloadfree.htm
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2007, 06:10:07 PM »

I tend to perform zero-fills using Seagate Disc Wizard Starter Edition which can be downloaded from their website.

It is a fd or cd booted utility for partitioning disks etc but i only use for erasing data. It works with any make of hard drive so long as it doesn't require a special controller driver. If you can access the drive from DOS then it will certainly work.

Zero-filling or overwriting for that matter can take a long time obviously depending on the drive capacity. I have heard that you should overwrite data something like seven or eight times for it to be completely unrecoverable using forensic-grade recovery.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 12:32:06 AM »

Hi .
Use DBAN from  http://dban.sourceforge.net/

"DBAN is a means of ensuring due diligence in computer recycling, a way of preventing identity theft if you want to sell a computer, and a good way to totally clean a Microsoft Windows installation of viruses and spyware. DBAN prevents or thoroughly hinders all known techniques of hard disk forensic analysis."

USE IT WITH CARE.    ;)

Michael.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

canon

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2007, 08:20:49 AM »

Thanks for all the replies on this. I'll pass the info' on to my friend.
Terry.

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2007, 10:14:17 PM »

Ages after the question I know but the short answer is that you can't.

Even the Gutmann algorithms (write patterns over the disk 35 times) are not sufficient to negate modern tunnelling microscopy technology. Unless you smash the disk to pieces or wipe it using a degaussing coil (a damn big coil at that!) then forget it - govt level agencies (and/or multinationals) have the ability to retrieve the data. I'm not kidding and none of this is new. Forget DoD standards (7 pass wipe?) as even I can get data back using software after that.

PS - do remember that in most cases "wiping the disk" in a Windows environment really means caching data in memory (either system RAM or the drive cache). It is remarkably difficult to make Windows XP (Vista is worse) write to disk PROPERLY AND WITHOUT CACHING in a reliable. repeatable manner.

Bestcrypt works for me and has done for years. It does cost though (its cheap) so many people go for Truecrypt. While Truecrypt has source code available for review it doesn't appear to have the encryption algorithms I'd wish - and it still persists in saying SHA1 is secure (any encryption when proven to be susceptable to non-brute force algorithms is dodgy - as SHA1 was a couple of years ago). I wouldn't touch Truecrypt based on their "assessment" of the state of play in the secure hash "market".

It occurs to me that hash probably means something you smoke to most of you? ;D A hash is a one-way (supposedly) mathematical function - eg you could hash your name and in theory nobody could take the hash output and get your name from that. In theory.

anything