Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Corrosion?  (Read 4155 times)

mywifeshusband

Corrosion?
« on: December 16, 2010, 09:46:57 PM »

Every three months or so my BT broadband starts to play up. Regular as clockwork! It starts with the Broadband light on my router going out and failing to re-establish even with the usual unplug and wait thirty seconds routine, plug into the master socket etc. This has started to happen again, December 2010,  following BT Broadband providing me with a new Home hub to replace my Voyager 2500 last August 2010 when it all went haywire last time.  Late August, September, October, and November have all been fine and I have enjoyed ' a top class fixed Broadband from BT at the astounding speed of just under 1Mbps being on the end of a long line part made up of aluminium cable!!!
The strange thing is, that whilst nothing obvious seems to persuade either the old Voyager 2500 or the new Home Hub to 'connect', during one of these 'off' periods, if I pick up the phone and make a telephone call, the router 'pops back in' almost inevitably and will stay 'in' for a few minutes after the call is ended. This symptom seems to go right over the heads of BT India who have had their UK colleagues call at my home on a number of occasions, found my internal home installation to be beyond reproach and gone away and done clever things with their own equipment, which seems to give me the next three months free of hassle.
Now as a retired electrical (power) engineer I suspect that somewhere outside of my home there are joints that during the three month 'interregnum' between faults, are quietly getting re-corroded until they become an effective insulator to the BB signal but the increased current flow occasioned by making a telephone call breaks down the 'high resistance' fault allowing a current flow once more, so giving me back my broadband for a short while.  If I'm wrong in this can someone please come up with an alternative scenario I can put to BT in the hope that we can break out of the annoying three monthly cycle of repeated faults.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Corrosion?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 10:44:37 PM »

What you describe sounds exactly that - an intermittent high resistance fault. Unfortunately they can be the devil to get fixed, because by the time BT visit you to check it out, the fault has gone again. If you can hear any crackling on the phone during an off period, you should phone 151 immediately and report a voice fault. They will do a quick test straight away, and you might be lucky in getting them to see and accept the fault. If you follow this route, don't mention broadband, or you might get shunted back to India again.
  Eric

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 11:44:26 PM »

Hi MWH,

To avoid the Indian problem you could go to
http://www.bt.com/
Report a fault in the left hand list on that page,
then select "Check my line now"
(ignoring their instruction not to use the broadband on the line).

IF you are lucky the auto-checker will detect the fault which is the least-trouble solution.
However if not, you'll have to resort to phone to report the fault.

Kind regards,
Walter

mywifeshusband

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 04:12:43 PM »

Thanks to both respondents, I have done as you suggested and action is now with BT. I live in hope rather than expectation!

anything