Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Laptop connections...  (Read 28668 times)

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
Re: Laptop connections...
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2010, 11:57:03 AM »

Just to get you started I would suggest, these are suggestions only, think of two different passwords, write them down if you want. When you have the passwords replace some of the characters with NONE alphabetical ones. I.E. if the password you think of is say mybestfriend, replace 'y' with '*' and the first 'e' with '%' and so-on don't forget the new password(s) that you have created, you can write them down as well just don't keep them in plain view or anywhere near the computer, router or laptop. I'm sure you are quite capable. :)
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2010, 12:01:37 PM »

don't keep them in plain view or anywhere near the computer, router
Hmmm, I'd genuinely disagree with part of that. I think it's a good idea to put the security key on a label on the router as an aide-memoire. On the back or underside is appropriate.

The reality is that any malevolent person who gets physical access to your router (in itself unlikely) will have little difficulty finding out the password or causing problems in other ways.

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2010, 12:13:36 PM »

Yes HP I agree that the router can be reset if someone gains physical access and knows what they are doing. Maybe I was being a bit over cautious there. However for the encryption password which would be the second password I would say hide it away.

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2010, 01:35:57 PM »

Chrissie, I have had a look through the manual that I downloaded and honestly if the one I have is anything like the model you have then you should be able to follow the steps that you need quite easily. There is nothing in there to be afraid of and being the intelligent person I think you are you should have no problem.  :)
The router should already be set up as you have been using it, so the only thing you need to set up is the wireless security. One question and that is have you ever accessed the User Interface for the router? That is a fancy word for web pages. Will you please let me know before I go any further.

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2010, 01:58:32 PM »

Beginning to wish OH hadn't bought the lappy lol.....but I'm sure with the wonderful help you guys are giving, I will think it's the best thing since stone tablet and chisel  :D

Thank you Colin and all.

Chrissie

You won't regret it and will come to love it.

Don't be scared there are millions of people using wirless laptops but you don't here many horror stories, please don't be put off the idea and as with all things new there is a learning curve and a fear of the unknown.

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2010, 07:45:25 AM »

Hi again,

I'm really appreciating your patience here because I did seriously think of returning the unopened box with the lappy in because of not being able to do all this and because of the security issues but because of your help guys, I'm feeling a little more confident. 

@ Colin, no I haven't accessed the user interface for the router but I have a feeling I will soon have to  :D under your guidance of course lol.

As for passwords I will do as you said so thank you for that.  I write all our important passwords down in a tiny book (some in a manner that aren't easy for others to read straightforwardly but we know what they are) and secrete the book away somewhere so I will do that for this one....   At the moment I'm lucky enough to remember lots of other ones off by heart but have those written down elsewhere "just in case" lol.  Cor what we have to do to try and beat the scum out there  ;D

Thanks again y'all for your help and your patience with this computer dummy, just a shame that I can't do much more than switch the blessed thing on  ???

Chrissie
Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2010, 08:06:35 AM »

O.T.

When you do first switch it on make sure you read any messages and if it gives you the option to make backup discs do it even though you will have to wait a little longer to use the laptop.

Then store them somewhere save, in the laptop box that you just opened is a good place.

I also make a second copy but laptop may not let you do that and I keep that closer to hand.

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2010, 09:43:02 AM »

Sounds like a good idea Britbrat.
I am not up to date with the Windows operating system, but the information for setting up the wifi security is the same regardless of operating system. The only difference is when first entering the password into the laptop. I don't think that has changed much anyway.

@ Chrissie, we all have to start somewhere. We are not born with this knowledge, it is gained by wanting to know it. In some cases needing to know. I started over 40 years ago but I'm still learning, because I enjoy it. If I can help someone else along the way then I am more than happy to.

For the most part you will not need to start the laptop so there is no rush to do that, in fact there is no rush at all. Take your own time as I'm sure these posts will be here for a long time.

Before we can get into the nitty gritty one more question, do you have the user manual for the router?

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2010, 11:04:03 AM »

^ he is right there.

I am self taught and learn new things every week.

I won't go into any details but it took me a year to know how to read an NFO file, seems silly now but I have met quite a few others who had the same issue. LOL

If you don't know what a NFO file is don't ask.

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2010, 04:39:40 PM »

Before we can get into the nitty gritty one more question, do you have the user manual for the router?

Hi Colin,

All I have if the Broadband easy set up guide which just tells you how to install the router with my ISP (Orange) so I don't know anymore than that sorry.

Just to ask, if we are able to make it to DD's for my pre birthday lunch tomorrow  :) she wants me to take the laptop and will switch it all on for me.  She thinks it should be ok to be able to use it on her wireless connection there (she has similar router to mine with same ISP), I hope she's right.  Then later I will follow the instructions from you guys on here to be able to use it at home.....will it be ok like that?

Thanks again for your help.

@ BB....I don't think I will ask what an NFO file is....but if you want to tell me you can  :lol:

Chrissie
Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2010, 04:45:11 PM »

That sounds like a good plan Chrissie.
  Eric

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2010, 04:53:29 PM »

Well Chrissie if your friend has her wireless set up securely there shouldn't be any problem, in fact she would be able to show you how to log on to your router. If she hasn't got it set up securely, well you may not know, anyway it shouldn't matter for a short while  :fingers:
Was the router supplied by Orange, I ask that as they may have some branding in the firmware. I know you won't know what I'm babbling on about but some-one else may be able to tell us. Not that it matters, we will find out when we get into the nitty gritty.
Have a nice lunch and enjoy yourself.

I have an idea what an NFO file is, but I'll let Britbrat tell you.

I have just put two & two together and come up with Dear Daughter for DD. After reading your other post for today. ;D
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 05:05:33 PM by silversurfer44 »

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2010, 05:55:22 PM »

Time was (a few years back) when ISP's shipped out wireless routers with pretty insecure default settings. :blush:

These days they've improved a lot, and whilst I haven't actually seen a new Orange one for a while I don't think I've seen a new router from any ISP inside the last year (maybe 2) that wasn't more than adequate "out of the box" for normal domestic security setup.

So, my advice would be RTFM which probably involves little more than plugging it in and turning it on.
And new Windows 7 laptops these days will look for active wireless networks during initial setup and allow you to connect immediately and securely.

It's not quite idiot-proof but it's definitely going in the right direction.  ;D

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2010, 06:13:20 PM »

I agree with all you say there HP. However they are still sending out boxes with wireless enabled and no encryption set and the default login and password. It's no wonder that there are so many botnets about.
I had imagined Windows would be quite easy to set up for wifi as it was the last time I used XP, so I would have expected it to improve. I asked Chrissie if she had a manual to make things easier for her but alas one was not provided. I have had a look at a couple of manuals now and they are very similar so should be able to talk it through.

It's not just about the network being sniffed for a user details, although they would be nice thank you very much, but if some miscreant in the near neighbourhood can gain access to the router, well the world is their oyster so to speak. If a lot more new users were as security contentious then the net would be a little safer. As you say not watertight but a bit nearer.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2010, 06:42:06 PM »

Your comments are right, SS44, but if Chrissie's DD has an insecure wireless configuration, then it's already open to attack, and connecting Chrissie's new laptop won't change that.

@chrissie: if your new laptop connects to the wireless network without your having to configure it with a password and so on, then you should let them know that their wireless is insecure and needs to be secured properly. I don't want to frighten you, but as you have a wireless router which you haven't ever configured yourself, you may already have an insecure wireless setup yourself. So I recommend that you configure it without delay. I don't want to cause confusion by giving you any conflicting advice, so as SS44 is progressing this, I'll leave it to him to advise. :)
  Eric
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

anything