Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Laptop connections...  (Read 28316 times)

BritBrat

• Kitizen
Re: Laptop connections...
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2010, 06:49:29 PM »

The last time I had an ISP router (O2) I never even opened the box and sent it back still sealed.

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2010, 07:08:15 PM »

@ Roseway, I couldn't agree more. But as I am unable to hold anybodies hand on this and I am not in a position to prevent it happening then I may be able to make the suggestions upon Chrissie's return. Indeed if her daughter is running with anything but a secure network then, with my best diplomatic hat on, I will point it out.

@ BritBrat, I also have an O2 router, however I used mine until just recently until whenever I made a change to the wireless settings the blasted thing would re-boot. Apart from that it worked fairly well. I have a Netgear DG834GT with Team firmware on board. With this one I cannot have the wifi enabled as it just locks up with Stuck Beacon. Fortunately I have a Belkin Wireless Access Point which I use. All with WPA2 I might add, and it's pretty solid.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 07:12:27 PM by silversurfer44 »
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2010, 08:21:01 PM »

@ BritBrat,I have a Netgear DG834GT with Team firmware on board. With this one I cannot have the wifi enabled as it just locks up with Stuck Beacon. Fortunately I have a Belkin Wireless Access Point which I use. All with WPA2 I might add, and it's pretty solid.

What do you mean "Stuck Beacon"?

I also have the 834GT and the DGteam firmware and I have no issues with it.

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2010, 08:39:07 PM »

As soon as I activate the wifi the whole thing slows to a crawl. I persevered once and went in with telnet had a look at dmesg and there was nothing but STUCK BEACON. So I disabled wifi, rebooted and it was fine. Can't find anything on the net about it so I work around it with the Belkin. It might be a corrupt firmware.

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2010, 06:43:14 AM »

Hi again,

@ Colin, the box was supplied by Orange and just came with the instructions how to connect to bband so I haven't configured it in any way and the box must be about 2 - 3 years old now I think  :o

As for DD's connection, her box was supplied by Orange too and again she just connected it but my GD has a friend who is techy and apparently he did a secure wireless connection there, has tested it to try and get in but didn't....so I'm hoping hers is secure now.

@ Eric, thanks for your help too again very much appreciated.  I have always wondered about the router here but thought as it's connected via ethernet that the wireless part wasn't being "used" but no doubt with my far from techy knowledge, I'm wrong  :o :(  I don't know how to configure it and as we've not had any problems (hope that's not courting disaster - ahem)...I wouldn't think I had to do anything to it.  Well, that is until OH bought the laptop!!  

The laptop has Win 7 which again I haven't used but DD says is ok as her PC has it...(must admit I still like using Win 98 which is still in use on my old computer but that is no longer internet accessible, I use it for WP and Home Publishing).

I will see what transpires IF we get to DD's today (snow and ice permitting)....and will certainly take on board what you say....that if the laptop can connect on her box without a password et al, then hers ISN'T secure.  Phew...warra malarky all this is but worth knowing of course for which I thank you guys so much.   :)

PS,  this is the lappy just for your interest
http://www.johnlewis.com/231050660/Product.aspx
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 06:51:57 AM by chrissie »
Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2010, 07:23:26 AM »

Nice laptop and I like the HP make and have two here, one is wifes and other is mine but they are not used very much at the moment.

I did take mine with us when we went away recently and it was helpfull fnding places to visit and opening times.

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2010, 11:50:45 AM »

Hi again,

Just a quick catch up as someone is waiting on me to go out (if I can!).  DD got the laptop working yesterday on her wireless connection, they use the security code which is on the box itself to log into it and on the screen it says "secure connection" so I am assuming that is ok?  She didn't show me how to do it on mine to set the lappy up for wireless connection so would it be a case of searching for wireless network with my box switched on and putting the security code into the box that will come up and that's it?  Sorry to sound stoopid but I'm still not sure of it all but must admit it was great to use it for a while round at hers.

Thanks for your help, again it's really appreciated x

Chrissie

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2010, 12:03:58 PM »

It doesn't sound too secure to me Chrissie. Have a nice day. Let's know when you have time and we can go through it more.

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2010, 11:11:46 AM »

It doesn't sound too secure to me Chrissie. Have a nice day. Let's know when you have time and we can go through it more.

Hi Colin

Anytime you're able then I'm willing  ;D, want to get it connected now so I will be able to use it.  Will wait for you to hold my hand and take me through it, thank you. :)

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2010, 11:56:31 AM »

Oooh! let's hold hands then.  ;D

Another question now seeing as you connected at your Daughters. The password you entered from the box did it consist of alphabetical & numerical characters, or did it have a mix as I suggested?

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2010, 12:36:29 PM »

First connect laptop via the ethernet connection then you can make any router changes using the same computer.

I think it is also possible to test the wireless while still having the ethernet connected, but not 100% sure on that.

See what SS say's first.

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2010, 12:53:00 PM »

First connect laptop via the ethernet connection then you can make any router changes using the same computer.

I think it is also possible to test the wireless while still having the ethernet connected, but not 100% sure on that.

See what SS say's first.

Hi BB....don't think I can do this (not sure though) because I haven't installed the BB disc that came with the router box which I had to on on the desktop PC....as I say, not sure though.

Hi Colin....I'm not sure what my DD did re the connection code except that she has written down for me a 6 digit number which is made up of 2 letters and 4 numbers which is on the bottom of her box so that I can use her connection when I go there....

...HOWEVER...looking on the bottom of my box the product number has a total of 6 made up of 2 letters and 4 numbers   ???  Underneath that number there is the security code which has 12 digits...made up of 11 number and 1 letter.  I know I know nowt but surely the last one would be the password you would use to log onto the wireless connection on mine?  :-\

Awaiting your help when you can find the time....hope you don't charge by the length of the post  :lol:

Thanks xx

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2010, 01:19:35 PM »

You don't need a disc Chrissie......connect via the ethernet and  windows should automatically install the router

I seem to think you mentioned you are using an Orange Livebox ?

Have a look here(scroll down and click on the Orange livebox router)

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php

Once you are up and running there will be an option to connect wirelessly

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2010, 02:05:31 PM »

Hi Chrissie, there's no charge. Not often you get owt for nowt.
I had a read of UncleUB's post and it's not quite what you are looking for, however it did point me to the correct manual to download.

The next post will be quite a long one so be warned. All the operations should be done from you PC which I assume is connected to your router otherwise you wouldn't be on the internet at all. So I'll wait for your ready to go and then I'll write the lot in one go. You won't need the laptop until we have setup the router.

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2010, 02:18:32 PM »

Hi Chrissie, there's no charge. Not often you get owt for nowt.
I had a read of UncleUB's post and it's not quite what you are looking for, however it did point me to the correct manual to download.

The next post will be quite a long one so be warned. All the operations should be done from you PC which I assume is connected to your router otherwise you wouldn't be on the internet at all. So I'll wait for your ready to go and then I'll write the lot in one go. You won't need the laptop until we have setup the router.

Ok then Colin thank you.  I hope I won't ugger the box up doing any configs to it....can't get it fixed if I do lol....see how much self confidence I have  :D

@ Uncy, thanks for your help Phil, all greatly welcomed and gives me more knowledge about these things too xx

Just had a look at the link but it's not my box on there.....this is a pic of my box
http://is02.thegumtree.com/image/big/29062790.jpg
Siemens Gigaset SE 572 WLAN dsl
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 02:23:52 PM by chrissie »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6