Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Laptop connections...  (Read 27758 times)

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
Laptop connections...
« on: December 15, 2010, 05:07:15 PM »

I think there will be more questions to come re the new laptop OH has bought me for my birthday, mind you, it's not even out of the box yet so I'm just preparing to find out.  Hopefully someone might just know the answers and explain it in "idiot speak" for me  :D

The router for main PC is upstairs.  I want to use the laptop downstairs but NOT wirelessly, I want to use it plugged in.  OH bought an ethernet cable....but as I've had some time to think about it, I have a feeling it won't work like that.... ??? :-\  Can I plug the cable straight into the extension phone socket downstairs with the laptop, or will it only work plugged into the router?  OR....will I HAVE to use it wirelessly?  :(

Thanks in advance for any help you brainy peeps can give me....no doubt I will have more questions later (please don't run for cover though  ;D)

Chrissie
Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

geep

• Reg Member
    • My ST546 Statistics
Re: Laptop connections...
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 05:18:04 PM »

Hi,
The ethernet cable will have to plug into the router.
Not sure of your objection to wireless use - my wife uses her lappy wirelessly and is quite happy.
If running an ethernet cable from router to PC is not feasible, you could always use a powerline adapter to send the ethernet over the mains wiring - e.g. http://www.netgear.co.uk/wallplugged_ethernet_bridge_xe102.php
Cheers,
Peter

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 05:23:16 PM »

Hello Chrissie. Your questions can be answered with
1)     No. You cannot use the phone sockets with ethernet cables.
2)     No. There is an alternative which is called Homeplug. Explanation further down
3)     No. For the above mentioned alternative you don't have to use it wirelessly.

Homeplugs are a system by where you buy a set of two plugs which go into your household mains socket and you plug your ethernet cables in to them. Of course you need to purchase the Homeplugs and another ethernet cable. It is much easier and more secure than using wireless, there is just the initial outlay.

Geep pressed the post button before I did.
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 05:58:54 PM »

If you get a good signal use the wireless.

But if you really want to use cable run it from ethernet port on laptop to one of the ports on router.

You can get sort of homeplugs on Ebay for about £30.
Example: COMTREND 9020 Powerline Adapter

Simples.

The only time you would connect laptop to phone line is if you used the internal modem on dialup using a phone cable and not ethernet.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 06:05:18 PM by BritBrat »

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 10:18:39 AM »

Hi Guys
Many thanks for your great help and knowledge, I really appreciate it.

@ Peter, the objection I have to wireless is having heard about other people being able to connect or tap into your line because of security issues and I really have no idea how to set it up for all that and to stop peeps getting into my accounts et al.  Shame really as I know it would be the easier option especially as the laptop won't be used as much as the main PC  :(

@ Colin, thanks for the info there, sounds as though I will have to look into this for the connection that way just to see what it entails and how to do it...why do I make it hard work  :D

@BB, thanks for the link and info, very kind of you to post the link.

I will have to see how it goes, may even sort out the wireless first as the Siemens router has that on it.....but will really have to know how to make it secure....scream!

Thanks again for your help guys...don't know what I'd do without you great peeps on here.

Chrissie

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 10:44:44 AM »

If you would prefer to use the wireless option, which would be easier and more convenient then it is quite simple to make the connection secure.
You will not need to learn much and I and other will be only too willing to guide you through the process. I realise you dont' need a load of geek speak so I am sure the guys will make as straight forward as possible.
One thing I would say at the outset is to not use any built in security devices. When you are ready give us the say so and I'm sure someone will take you by the hand and lead you through it. ;)

Will you please let us know what model of router you have. I know you mentioned Siemens, but what model is it.?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 10:50:36 AM by silversurfer44 »

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 11:15:51 AM »

Security is not really an issue as far as laptop goes.

Most routers now force you to use security key and I also restrict access to the MAC of the devices.

Like Silver said when you are ready ask for how to do it, it is quite simple really :)

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010, 11:23:07 AM »

Sorry BritBrat but security is an issue, wep is next to useless an wpa is nearly as bad. I have five access points within easy reach and only three of those are using good encryption. That's why I suggest to not use the in built encryption. MACs are very easily spoofed as well, so they should not be relied on.

geep

• Reg Member
    • My ST546 Statistics
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 12:27:38 PM »

@silversurfer44 - I'm curious - what's good encryption?
That's why I suggest to not use the in built encryption.
If you aren't using the router's inbuilt encryption, what encryption are you installing/using?

I use a Netgear WG602v2 access point, have enabled access control to a list of defined MAC addresses and use WPA-PSK encryption. Is this inbuilt encryption secure? If not, how to make it secure?
Cheers,
Peter

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2010, 12:51:03 PM »

There's nothing wrong with using the router's encryption capability, so long as you use WPA or WPA2 with a good strong encryption key. For domestic purposes, WPA is entirely adequate - it can in principle be cracked (as can any other encryption system), but not quickly or easily. It really isn't something a domestic user need be bothered about.

@chrissie: I support what others have said about wireless being the most convenient with a laptop. You could use direct connection or homeplugs, but that would tie you to particular spots in the house for using the laptop, whereas with wireless you can use it anywhere within reach of the network. It really is straightforward, and we can certainly guide you through it. :)
  Eric

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2010, 01:12:28 PM »

Not wishing to go too deep into this as Chrissie wanted it simple and straight forward. However if one is using their wifi in a neighbourhood where there are a number of others using theirs (albeit a small number) anyone of them could well be interested in someone else's bank details etc. WEP is useless as it can be cracked in very little time at all as I demonstrated to a friendly neighbour of mine, with his consent I might add. I also cracked his wpa password in even less time as he used a dictionary type word made up of a book he read. I then got him to change it to wpa2 and replace some of the characters with things like '$%\' and there is no way can I crack the password. There are 4 other networks that appear for me to connect to whenever I want to connect to mine. 1 of them is using wep, that's his problem, one of them is wpa that's his problem also and the 2 remaining ones are using wpa2. I do not have the inclination to break into anybody else's network but that doesn't mean no-one else does. I get port scans on my networks all the time so there is someone trying to gain access.
To finish off WPA encryption is OK as long as a dictionary type word is not used for a password. Replace some of the letters with none alphabetical ones and the same for numbers then that is normally safe enough, but it is not watertight.

All the tools and know how are easily obtainable on the web. FOC at that.

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2010, 05:36:33 PM »

Why I said laptop is not an issue is all the above is router related security. You could be vunerable even with only one desktop PC connected by wire if the wireless was on.

If that is weak then the whole system is weak.

No offence taken.

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2010, 07:02:10 PM »

Point taken BritBrat, however I was keeping the thread purposely simplistic for the benefit of Chrissie and anyone else for that matter who don't know or need to know the nuts and bolts of networking.

So Chrissie if you are still reading this thread would you be so kind as to let us know the model of you router please? The model of laptop is not that important just now.
Colin No.2

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2010, 11:12:56 AM »

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all this I really appreciate it.  I realise that wifi connection will be better for the convenience and to start with I think just because I will only be using the laptop some evenings so I will go with the wireless way to start with.  It is however, with all the talk of how people can crack the passwords/connection things giving me the heebejeebies..... ??? so I know I shall be very (very) wary....

The router is (I think from reading off the bottom label) Siemens Gigaset SE 572 WLAN dsl or is it the product name you require though?  Beginning to wish OH hadn't bought the lappy lol.....but I'm sure with the wonderful help you guys are giving, I will think it's the best thing since stone tablet and chisel  :D

Thank you Colin and all.

Chrissie

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2010, 11:34:01 AM »

Hi Chrissie, don't worry we will soon have you up and running. Don't worry about all the discussion that has gone before as it is very easy for techies to go off at a tangent.
I have just got hold of the User Manual for a model that is similar to your router model so I should be able to guide through a lot of it, and if I am going wrong someone will surely tell us. Your OH has bought you a lovely prezzie, just be patient and you will be using it perfectly safely.  ;)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6