Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Webmail  (Read 5531 times)

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
Webmail
« on: September 14, 2007, 10:45:11 PM »

I've been having a problem with BT Yahoo webmail for several weeks. In coming messages are being held up for several hours at times. It seems it must be a particular server causing the problem because sometimes messages come through almost immediately, but at other times I get batches of messages that get posted as earlier than messages I've already read.

I've posted a complaint to BT Yahoo, but they've sent the usual nonsense answer that recommends you empty your cache/browsing history etc. Needless to say following their recommendation has not made a blind bit of difference.

Am I correct in surmising that they have a server problem, or is there something I am missing?

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Re: Webmail
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2007, 12:17:02 AM »

It sounds like when there servers get overloaded they get a back log of messages then it forms a queue and then they are processed when the sever load goes down.

What mail browser do you use ?.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2007, 12:25:12 AM »

My browser is Firefox. Everything else works OK so it must be BT Yahoo's servers,but you can't tell them they've got a problem!

It's been a bit better this evening, so maybe they're getting on top of it.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2007, 12:53:37 AM »

I do not use my FireFox browser to open my 10 web free web mail accounts (Hot mail, yahoo, Lycos).

I open them via ThunderBird (much more secure than Outlook ! ).

http://www.mozilla-europe.org/en/products/thunderbird/    you have to download it and then add 'Extensions' for the Web mail client. 

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Using_webmail_with_your_email_client.

Edit...Re..but you can't tell them they've got a problem!

They will know how much traffic they have going through the servers.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2007, 12:56:21 AM by tickmike »
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Pwiggler

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2007, 01:35:16 PM »

astral

i dont think its owt to do with ya pc - yahoo are notoriously crap.

i have a 'rubbish mail' yahoo account and its so frustrating when i request a password to a url that ive forgotton coz i have to wait an age for it to come thur ..... lycos, for instance is immediate.

Paul

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2007, 10:06:42 PM »

Just checked mine and it seems ok... although theres a hell of a lot of spam in it (ok I havent checked it for a while)

But the address is one that I dont disclose elsewhere and the past week alone theres approx 1000 spam mails... which is way more spam than my "compromised" PN one is getting. 

I was in correspondence with my web-host last week about something else and as an aside the guy was telling me that last week they'd been having real problems with a spam influx and he enquired if I'd noticed a huge increase. 
I personally hadnt but he said that several others (meaning providers/ISPs) had also had probs last week.

The fact that incoming messages are being held up could be an indication that mail is being queued.
Each ISP will have a bank of mail servers and things like MXlast... its well possible that  if theres been an influx of spam then it could take a while for mail to be dequeued from some servers.

In fact the "I get batches of messages that get posted as earlier than messages I've already read" is symptomatic of mail dequeueing.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2007, 12:40:14 AM »

It seems to be better today. Let's hope the spam attacks are over. Funnily enough i was thinking earlier today that I was getting less in my spam box than usual.