Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Bird Feeders  (Read 15236 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: Bird Feeders
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2011, 07:31:47 AM »

I'm baffled as to why your feeders are being ignored, unkyUb......even if you had the "wrong" food in them, you would expect something to find them attractive.

The seed in one of the feeders is the same as is being consumed out of shallow plastic containers on top of the privet.The other feeder which has peanuts in is also being ignored,saying that we haven't seen any Blue tits of late.

The Blackbirds are loving the blueberries and coconut. :)

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2011, 07:34:19 AM »

I'm baffled as to why your feeders are being ignored, unkyUb......even if you had the "wrong" food in them, you would expect something to find them attractive.

Maybe the lack of red carpet?  :lol:
Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2011, 07:47:16 AM »

We saw a pair of Pied Wagtails yesterday,foraging about in the carpark at Meadowhall Centre,the last place I would have expected to see them  :)

Car parks are among their favourite places for some reason. We often see them in the local Tescos and Sainsburys car parks.
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2011, 07:49:17 AM »

We saw a pair of Pied Wagtails yesterday,foraging about in the carpark at Meadowhall Centre,the last place I would have expected to see them  :)

Car parks are among their favourite places for some reason. We often see them in the local Tescos and Sainsburys car parks.

This was an underground one,with open access at the sides.Perhaps we should take our bird feeders down there  ;D

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2011, 09:11:44 AM »

That's a bit like taking the water to the horse. You still can't make the horse drink though.  :)
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

AdrianH

« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2011, 02:41:22 PM »

Birds sometimes take a while to get used to a new feeder in the area,sometimes they just don't like the position for reasons you may not be able to see.

I just got some new 6 port feeders today to replace some that were falling to bits and all the birds are now sat in plum trees at the edge of the garden waiting to see who will be brave enough to make the first test landing, it could be minutes or even a couple of days.

I bought  from CJ Wild Foods  http://www.birdfood.co.uk/   and have to say the service is amazing, I ordered yesterday online, got a confirmation order at 11:43 AM  saying 2-3 day delivery and at 2:00 PM today they arrived .

Their site has lots of bird feeding/watching information a forum and live bird feeder webcam.

postie

« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2011, 08:14:41 PM »

When I was with my ex wife we had one of these http://www.birdfood.co.uk/products.php?area_id=2&nav_id=32
and http://www.birdfood.co.uk/product_details.php?area_id=2&group_id=17&nav_id=33&prd_id=950

Used to put raisins out for the blackbirds,they loved them and would come quite close to you when we was putting them out.Had a small bowl of water for the birds and was funny watching them bathing.

feliscatusx2

• Reg Member
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2011, 08:41:40 PM »

I saw somewhere, cannot remember where, but a long time ago, that Pied Wagtails frequent car parks because they like to pick all the splattered bugs off the car bumpers  :P

Our propery purchase in Seasalter has finally fallen through so we bought a bungalow in Swalecliffe today.  Last autumn we looked at one a short distance up the same road; the owner claimed that he could not feed the birds because the presence of small birds attracted Raptors, which then decimated the local populations (birds that is).  This pm we could see bird feeders all over the place, and in every garden visible,  and the little old lady owner said she, and her neighbours, never had a problem.  Mind you they were flying a top cover of 2/300 gulls  ;).
Some people are like slinkies: they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

AdrianH

« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2011, 07:47:44 AM »

Raptors present means one thing, a healthy balanced ecology, it is perfectly natural and keeps the smaller bird populations strong and disease free. It is the householder that gets upset about "their" birds being attacked but the sad truth is many a well meaning householder kills birds through a combination of kindness and ignorance.

ALL bird feeders and water supplies need regular cleaning/disinfecting otherwise viruses spread rapidly through contact at feeders etc.  Peanuts, often a source of major problems, cheap supplies are often toxic,only give quality tested nuts, never use whole peanuts as a loose feed in the spring/summer as inexperienced parent birds feed them to their young resulting in the chick choking to death ( this has been recorded as one of the biggest killers of young birds).

If you do have raptors around and want to avoid them getting at birds on a table you can place tall canes in the ground on the flight path to the bird table .
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 08:23:18 AM by AdrianH »

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2011, 08:08:59 AM »

I agree with all that AdrianH has stated above, and would only add that by feeding the birds you are effectively concentrating a population which would otherwise be spread over a much wider area.

Concentrate the birds....so concentrate the raptors, and other predators. Also you create an ideal situation for fighting and bickering which all takes energy and resources better deployed in the art of living.

I always find it strange that people bemoan the fact that a raptor has killed and eaten a songbird.......but it is ok that the songbird has in it's life killed and eaten butterflies, moths, beetles etc.
Nature is a very cruel place.......when viewed from a human perspective. To wildlife, it's merely trying to stay alive.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 08:11:10 AM by tuftedduck »

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2011, 09:20:11 AM »

Well after all this time the feeder remain untouched.They are hung on our plum tree but have not created any interest.

The blackbirds are taking seed and blueberries from plastic trays positioned on top of the flat privet hedge.

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2011, 09:41:06 AM »

I've been watching the blackbirds and they seem to prefer feeding that way UncleUB. I threw some bread crumbs out one day and they landed on top of a small cabinet type shed I made for the garden tools. The blackbirds soon found them and immediately threw them on the grass before eating them. Any that were left on top of the cabinet were taken by the magpies. The magpies did not touch the ones in the grass, only the ones on the cabinet, which I might add they took away to eat. It's a very amusing pastime watching them.
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

AdrianH

« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2011, 11:18:46 AM »

Well after all this time the feeder remain untouched.They are hung on our plum tree but have not created any interest.

The blackbirds are taking seed and blueberries from plastic trays positioned on top of the flat privet hedge.

Any results yet?  My new feeders have taken a week to get visits but now the Greenfinches have found them traffic is increasing.
The time of year of course has a big part to lay as the breeding season is getting underway and the birds are sorting out their territories for the coming few months, the dynamics do change around early March,once there are hatchlings to feed things will change.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2011, 11:23:59 AM »

Any results yet?  My new feeders have taken a week to get visits but now the Greenfinches have found them traffic is increasing.
The time of year of course has a big part to lay as the breeding season is getting underway and the birds are sorting out their territories for the coming few months, the dynamics do change around early March,once there are hatchlings to feed things will change.

Only from the plastic trays,the feeders are still untouched.We had a beautiful Mistle Thrush yesterday eating out of the seed trays.The Blackbirds love the blueberries.
They only get them when Sue manages to get some which have been reduced in her store when they are out of date

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2011, 07:21:41 AM »

Just to update...the feeders have been repositioned to where they were originally and guess what....they are being used  :thumbs:

Blue tits and sparrows are now using them with great gusto. ;D
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4