Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Bird Feeders  (Read 15239 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Bird Feeders
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2011, 11:12:41 AM »

That may be just a bit close to the house, Phil. Some birds will come right up to the window to feed, but it takes them longer to get the courage.

On the subject of the price of seed, it does vary a lot in quality, and the cheaper seed mixes contain a lot of wheat which isn't so attractive to the small birds (although pigeons will happily scoff it). We get our seed from a local pet shop which sells it loose, and you help yourself and get it weighed. It's cheaper that way, and better quality than the cheap supermarket variety.
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2011, 11:22:38 AM »

Thanks Eric

We only have a small rear garden and finding a suitable (cat free) location is not easy.Next door have a cat,and next door but one have 2  >:(

We do have plenty of trees at the top of the garden,but too high to be accessible to hang feeders from.

We have blackbirds,thrushes,magpies,bluetits and of course the fat greedy pigeons.We have on occasions had pied wagtails. :)  

Thought we would get them use to the feeders with the cheaper cuts before we introduce them to the fillet  ;D

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2011, 11:47:29 AM »

;D

With apologies to cat lovers, they are a bit of a menace where birds are concerned. Your hanging basket support looks good, and if you wait a bit longer, you'll probably get the birds venturing in. A bit of grated cheese goes down well with robins too, by the way.
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2011, 11:52:47 AM »

A bit of grated cheese goes down well with robins too, by the way.

With a selection of biscuits and pickles. ;D

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2011, 12:50:50 PM »

Hi

One other type of feeder is useful  "Nijer seed Feeder " this is lile a plastic tube but only has very small holes as the seeds are very small . Nijer seed (used to be spelt with a g) is very small . To avoid waste some have a small tray under them , or you can add your own tray using plant pot saucers . Goldfinches are especially attracted to Nijer seed . I never had any in my garden for many years  until I tried this seed ,took about a month for them to appear regularly .now up to a dozen visit .

see http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cranswick-Nyjer-Seed-Feeder-140C10/dp/B003U6QBZ4

Regards Jeff
zen user

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2011, 01:56:09 PM »

Those sunflower hearts that were mentioned on here were £3.41 for a small bag
I can eat for less  :lol:

Prices do vary a lot because I think they're also used by bakeries but these are more reasonable :-

http://www.wildbirddirect.com/products/sunflower-hearts/

Also try your local garden centre as some sell it loose, that's the cheapest way to buy bird seed.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2011, 03:15:29 PM »

Thanks Jeff and Oranged for all the info etc.  :)

Looking at the link Oranged supplied I can't believe the choice or variety there is foe these little mites.  :o

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2011, 03:52:32 PM »

If you want to really make the birds happy, get some live mealworms and put them in a bowl somewhere handy for the birds. But I suggest you don't store them in the kitchen. ;D
  Eric

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2011, 04:31:43 PM »

They will be fine on the hanging basket brackets as that is what I do.

Just part fill the feeders until the birds start eating it all then you can fill them up later.

Birds come right up to our window.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2011, 01:09:32 PM »

No joy with the feeders.. :no:

But....they are taking stuff out of trays on the top of the privet hedge...including chunks of coconut and punnets of blueberries(Sue gets them cheap when the sell by date has expired.  ;)

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2011, 01:41:24 PM »

Sounds like the birds are getting you & Sue well trained  :D
Well they are Sheffield birds after all.  ;)

The birds round here won't touch any bread that I put out until it has started to dry out. So they are just as fussy round here.
The blackbirds like it on the floor, if it's any higher up they will throw it on the grass and the eat it. Magpies just take it in big lumps. I've only seen one robin this winter and it wasn't interested. It's good fun trying to work out what they are going to do.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 01:45:24 PM by silversurfer44 »
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

geep

• Reg Member
    • My ST546 Statistics
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2011, 06:46:11 PM »

Don't forget the RSPB's Annual Big Garden Birdwatch Sat/Sun 29/30 Jan http://www.rspb.org.uk/birdwatch/

Cheers,
Peter

feliscatusx2

• Reg Member
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2011, 09:32:59 PM »

Wilkinsons sell a range of cheap bird food.  Our birds turned their noses up at all the expensive brands so we bought some from Wilkinsons and the lot had gone in less than an hour.

In the last week we have had a Greater Spotted woodpecker who unnerved us completely by walking backwards down the tree truck and a pair of Redwings.

All good fun.
Some people are like slinkies: they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2011, 07:19:53 AM »

We saw a pair of Pied Wagtails yesterday,foraging about in the carpark at Meadowhall Centre,the last place I would have expected to see them  :)

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2011, 07:23:36 AM »

I'm baffled as to why your feeders are being ignored, unkyUb......even if you had the "wrong" food in them, you would expect something to find them attractive.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4