Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Energy Price Hikes(The Return)  (Read 7000 times)

razpag

• Reg Member
Re: Energy Price Hikes(The Return)
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2011, 07:35:11 PM »

Just a heads-up for folk who don't know (like myself 48hrs ago), you can get FREE Cavity Wall Insulation and Loft Insulation applied to your house.

When I say 'free', you have actually already paid for it by way of a 5% levvy on your Gas and Lekky bills. Have a look, it comes under the governments commitment to the EU to reduce carbon emissions. The government in turn, have passed the onus onto the energy companies to bring the emissions down and allow this 5% levvy to be added to bills.
I thought that you only got these grants if you are on benefits ?

That's what I was told when I applied last year to increase the insulation in the loft.
As I am in full time work, I wasn't eligible  :-\

I only had around 4 inches of loft insulation - I think that over the years it compresses and loses thickness ?

I've now increased this to around 10 inches and I'm sorted now.

I ended up doing it myself as I rang around and the insulation companies wanted nearly £200 for carrying out the work  :o

Believe me Curly, I was just like you and thought it was only OAP's and benefit claimers who got this. I swear to you this is not the case. We have got free CWI, and could have had free loft insualtion if we had wanted to. They are coming at 10am on Monday 20th June.

There is NO catch, NO hidden extras, NO additional selling, nothing at all. It is your right to request it as you are already paying for it within your billing. As I say, me and the missus had no idea about this, and it wasn't until our neighbour was having his done that I was told about it being gratis !! My F-I-L and S-I-L both had theirs done without informing us. When we questioned them why they hadn't told us, they assumed (as we live in the same area) that we would had the same chap knocking on the door offering the service. We must have been out when he called.

CurlyWhirly

• Reg Member
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2011, 07:35:57 PM »

>>> I thought that you only got these grants if you are on benefits ? <<<

In Scotland,  free insulation can be granted on an age criteria.........72 years and above, IIRC........and irrespective of means/circumstances.
And it is free, funded by the Scottish Parliament.
I don't live in Scotland and I'm not 72 years and over (I'm 43)  ;D
Mike

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2011, 07:38:59 PM »

You could nearly be me !!! I too dont live in Scotland, but I'm 45. Damn !!!

CurlyWhirly

• Reg Member
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2011, 07:45:25 PM »

Believe me Curly, I was just like you and thought it was only OAP's and benefit claimers who got this. I swear to you this is not the case. We have got free CWI, and could have had free loft insualtion if we had wanted to. They are coming at 10am on Monday 20th June.

There is NO catch, NO hidden extras, NO additional selling, nothing at all. It is your right to request it as you are already paying for it within your billing.
It's too late to do anything about the loft insulation as I did it myself.

The insulation companies didn't say that I would be eligible with a grant although I didn't ask as I thought that only people on benefits were eligible.

I wouldn't mind having cavity wall insulation as although my house is old and the walls are stone, the extension is of modern construction and is a of cavity wall construction although I don't know if the wall has already had cavity wall insulation because the external wall is covered in pedbledash rendering ?
Mike

CurlyWhirly

• Reg Member
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2011, 07:46:13 PM »

You could nearly be me !!! I too dont live in Scotland, but I'm 45. Damn !!!
;D
Mike

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2011, 07:49:16 PM »

The b*cat doesn't live in Scotland (Suffolk, to tell the truth) and is close to "58 summers". ;D
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

exo

• Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2011, 11:54:04 PM »

Don't forget this government and the previous, are very keen on the "Green Agenda" and "Climate Change" for finding other sources of energy and offering free or subsidised insulation, solar panel heating, wind farms etc. not to mention carbon taxation on coal fired power stations.

This money does not come from some kind philanthropist, it is a 15% to 20% levy on our fuel bills.
Of course, you don't see itemised on your bill and our MP's tend to keep quiet about it.

exo
Pages: 1 2 [3]

anything