Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Bird Feeders  (Read 15210 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Bird Feeders
« on: December 14, 2010, 11:44:03 AM »

Can anyone give me some tips on what kind are the best to get.Sue wants to put some up.We have only ever hung those fat balls up before,but tbh the birds didn't seem that interested.I ended up breaking them up and laying them on the flat top of the privet hedge.They then were munched with great gusto.

Also what is the best kind of food  to put put out for them

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Bird Feeders
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 11:56:07 AM »

By and large I would say that the hopper type of feeder is best, and the more you pay the longer they last. Something like this would be very good but you can get similar but more flimsy ones for quite a bit less. If you fill it with sunflower hearts you'll get a lot of grateful birds, or you could use a general wild bird mix, which might not be quite so popular. A peanut feeder might attract tits, but can be a bit hit and miss.
  Eric

geep

• Reg Member
    • My ST546 Statistics
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 12:41:02 PM »

Latterly I've more or less given up with bird feeders - bought a bird table for £9.99 from Robert Dyas - http://www.robertdyas.co.uk/P~142282~Self-Assembly+Bird+Table It's a bit lightweight and flimsy, but not bad for the price. Now I know that the birds like it I'll buy or build a decent one when it wears out. The fat wood pigeons landing on it knocked it over, so had to put a couple of canes into the ground to stabilize it. It's also available from QD stores at the same price: http://www.qdstores.co.uk/

Cheers,
Peter
PS - You can brush up on birdsong identification here:  http://avocet.zoology.msu.edu/recordings?name_search=Common+Blackbird

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 12:50:50 PM »

We use a smaller type than the one in Eric's link and also a wire mesh one for the 'Peanuts' and a plastic tray made from part of one of my daughter's old toys .
We have the feeders hung in a plumb tree on 1/16th Steel wire to stop the squirrels biting through and steeling all the food when it falls on the floor  >:D.

The fat balls, if they come in a plastic mesh bag I take it out(because the birds can get there feet in it and get stuck :'( ), make a small hole through it and hang it on a piece of wire.

Phil sent you a PM last night ! :)
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 01:18:25 PM »

Phil sent you a PM last night !

Hi Mike,not noticed till now  :-[

Will give your joinery problem a bit of thought,its a tricky one this.

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 02:27:55 PM »

Make sure you can take it apart easy for cleaning.

Just buy some cheap small ones to start from homebase or some other store, what I do is clean one and replace it with the one I cleaned last time and rotate them around.

I have a fat one, a seed one and a peanut one.  At the moment the peanuts seem to be the favorite :-)

Wire for peanuts and a hopper like one for seeds.

Starter Seed Feeder
Starter Peanut Feeder

Both £3.49 each

And make sure you can sweep up after them every few days so as not to attract vermin.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 02:37:39 PM by BritBrat »

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, 04:38:22 PM »

As regards food, all the birds in my locale overdose on sunflower hearts......they just can't get enough of them.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2010, 09:58:16 PM »

As regards food, all the birds in my locale overdose on sunflower hearts......they just can't get enough of them.

Yes they do and peanuts.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 09:43:01 AM »

Got the feeders,one seed,one peanut.Hung them up and filled with seed and peanuts......nothing  :o No interest at all.Seem more interested in bread people put out.

Thought of getting a 'SEED THIS WAY' sign  :D

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 09:47:39 AM »

To the birds, the feeders are something new in the garden and they will be wary of them for a while until convinced that they do not pose a threat.

Give them an hour or so and they will then be eating you out of house and home.. ;D

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2011, 10:00:22 AM »

Give them an hour or so

Sue put them up......Friday  ???

She even put some seed in a flat container on top of the privet hedge to 'entice' them.

they will then be eating you out of house and home.

Got a 2kg bag of seed from Asda for .......£1.

Those sunflower hearts that were mentioned on here were £3.41 for a small bag  :o

I can eat for less  :lol:

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2011, 10:03:55 AM »

>>Sue put them up......Friday <<<  :hmm:

Try a different location.....the feeders should be near a bush/hedge, somewhere leafy where the can flight to quickly if danger threatens. And high enough to deter cats. 

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2011, 10:25:17 AM »

And high enough to deter cats.  

:lol:

We got the feeders similar to the ones in BritBrats links.

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2011, 10:27:36 AM »

:lol:

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2011, 10:39:25 AM »

Got them hung on where the hanging baskets were