Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Beta Testers needed  (Read 21229 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Beta Testers needed
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2007, 10:22:33 PM »

okies tyvm... leave it with me.. thanks for that - ill see if I can re-create it.

dont like the look that its in distances.inc.php..   but I'll try have a look see what I can see.

Removed all those error messages, because I dont really want those urls spidering.. but Ive taken a copy of them all  :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2007, 10:52:32 PM »

Mike

Can you do me a favour please... Im trying to narrow this down and I cant see anything why it should be doing thi.  Those error messages seem to perhaps indicate a valid address on the bt system..  but its looking like the google map API that seems to be struggling with the location.  "Trying to get property of non-object" on the error lines and url you posted is pointing towards the google database not liking either yours or the exchanges postcode.

Go here http://maps.google.com/

then hit the "Get directions tab"

In the start address put the postcode in that the checker gave you for the exchange for the start address..  then put your own postcode in for your end address.

Hit the "GEt directions button"... and let me know if it google chucks up an error too.

[The only reason you got all those error messages is I'd left it in php debug mode - I dont think it was turned on yesterday].
« Last Edit: September 02, 2007, 10:59:10 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2007, 12:19:09 AM »

OK did that and got.

"We could not understand the location"

It could not understand the post code for the exchange, and came up with 217 results and none were the exchange.
Did the same if I just did a map search, but it was ok with my post code.
The google map that comes up on your web page is correct .

UPDATE ,
Just spoken to my wife ( who was post master in the town next to our village, were the exchange is.) she tells me all the post code were changed two years ago. !

Put new post code in to google maps and it finds it strait away with a distance of 2.61 Miles.

So is the BT data base out of date ?.   :(
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2007, 12:59:50 AM »

Thanks mike. - appreciated.

The bit where its going wrong isnt actually my part of the code.. and ironically its related to about the only place where I got help with the proggie.  Ive just spent the past hour or so searching around on the net to see if theres another way that I can do this so that that theres a fall over if the post-code is duff.(or at least for the exchange .  The fact that the google api has thrown up errors for both yours and erics had made me question the way of doing things.

I have an idea of what I want to do.. Ive got a very vague idea of how I could do it..  just not got it straight in my head how the heck Im going to code it :D

Jeeze I thought it was a brilliant idea to be able to bring a driving distance thing into the checker..  I thought it was going to be acheivable..

lol talk about diving in at the deep end and cracking your head on the bottom of the pool.  heh Ive certainly got a headache at all the reading Ive just been doing. ???

-----

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2007, 11:05:04 AM »

I never really thought that the BT exchange codes could be wrong!!

As a short-term fix some validation of the output from Google maps would be an idea. If I get chance later today I'll sort something out there.

have an idea of what I want to do.. Ive got a very vague idea of how I could do it..  just not got it straight in my head how the heck Im going to code it

Sounds fun!
Chris

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2007, 12:24:37 PM »

I got  a test version working early this am and it seems to be ok and returning results.
but its nasty code right now and not fit to go out.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 12:27:35 PM by kitz »
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2007, 05:16:29 PM »

$%*$% :comp:

When you see the code chris you'll understand the above comment and why I banged my head on the desk several times :-X

-----------------

Anyhoooooo  wanna give this one a try  mike (or anyone else)
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/adslchecker.php

It seems to be running a bit slow right now but I'm hoping thats perhaps just the BT d/b thats busy rather than the additional code.

Sorry eric - couldnt do anything about yours at all - not when both the postcode and address are both pointing to being smack bang in the middle of  the M20 :(

[edit]
url updated
« Last Edit: September 07, 2007, 06:22:29 PM by kitz »
-----

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2007, 05:55:22 PM »

I got two invalid phone number/postcode errors. The third time I did the postcode in caps with space and it worked. Only touble was it gave the distance as zero in both cases. Sorry. :(

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2007, 06:16:54 PM »

$%*$%

Just noticed that the "main one" is also returned the same error too - and I havent touched the code on that.
That error comes back if BT are rejecting something.  (The first stage error checking by me splits it down if youve put in an invalid postcode or invalid phone no - whilst that is BT chucking back it aint happy about something)

edit- more info
Samknows site is also playing up when I try put something in there and isnt returning the exchange data properly.
Looks like its the BT database thats playing silly beggars :(

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 06:21:21 PM by kitz »
-----

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2007, 06:18:37 PM »

That's OK. As long as I didn't break it! ;)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2007, 06:22:08 PM »

lol whoops chaged the pics to edit out info.. and show that even on there its saying I cant get adsl :D

Supposed I need to make that error message clearer. :/
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2007, 06:26:18 PM »

Seems to be working again on both sites.
-----

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2007, 06:44:01 PM »

When I tried it just now, the first time I got "Phone No lookup failed" although the phone number was correct (I checked). The second time it worked normally. I don't know if it's relevant, but the first time I entered the postcode in lower case with no spaces and the second time I entered it with capitals and a space.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2007, 07:30:58 PM »

>> Supposed I need to make that error message clearer. :/

Message now changed....  and moved to a more obvious place on the front page.

Thanks eric..  the "phone no lookup failed" again is an error again generated back by BT - I have seen this message displayed myself in the past when the BT system gets very busy...
The system seems to go blaaaaaah busy dont wanna do it...  oh ok then i'll send it.

From when Ive seen it  (aside from if its an LLU no they dont own in which case it wont return much at all on postcode alone) still tends to send back most of the results - but its just very slow.

I think possibly in fact that I noticed things starting to slow down about an hour ago and the oddness just now perhaps means that the BT queries are very busy for some reason. :/

looking at the server response times those that are coming back are anywhere between 2129 ms and 9779 ms.  A good response should only take around 9-15ms.

Ive also double checked that its not me sending tons of extra stuff, but that appears to be ok.

>> the first time I entered the postcode in lower case with no spaces and the second time I entered it with capitals and a space

No it shouldnt.  My proggie will grab what data you put in..  it actually strips any spaces out and will auto capitalise it before its sent out to the database.  Then when data comes back for the results page I add a space back in at this end so it dsplays nicely.  Regardless of someone putting in caps/lowercase or spaces it will send to the database as AB123(4)CD .

I let their database handle anything more than that since obviously I dont have access to a full postcode list to check against...and thats when it should send back the error that astral saw earlier.

-----

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2007, 09:59:18 PM »

Worked first time
With a distance as well  "Distance:-      Direct: 3.49 km(appx)     By Road:     4.16 km"
Map is correct.
ADSL data.
Rag test ok.
Other Broadband Technology & LLU Providers = no data  (I use Eclipse).

Great job.   :)

Also tested :-

Phone number only = worked with useful data.

Post code only = worked with useful data.

No post code or phone number = Error message.

Wrong phone number = Error message. (o instead of 0 )

Wrong post code = Error message.

Phone number with NO area code + post code = worked with useful data.

Phone number with NO area code only = Error message.

Phone number with the wrong area code for my area + my post code = worked with useful data but invalid ADSL Estimate
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well I think its passed me trying to break it ok.   ;D

Only mod I can think of is to say "1. Enter your Phone No : With Area code"

You said. "The aim was to do something for my site but also learn a new "language"... ( Ive been saying for years I'm gonna teach myself php)."
Well you can teach me when I'm ready to set up my own web site.   ;)

Michael.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5