Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Windows Update KB979099  (Read 33137 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Windows Update KB979099
« on: February 24, 2010, 07:16:35 AM »

Hi all,

I have just received the above update via Windows Vista auto updates

"Update for rights management services client for Windows Vista" KB979099

Not sure what it is/does.Do I really need to install it.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Windows Update KB979099
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 08:55:19 AM »

Read the detailed description and decide. Chances are not.  ;)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 08:57:59 AM »

Read the detailed description and decide. Chances are not.  ;)

Overview
Install this update to resolve issues caused by manifest expiration in AD RMS enabled applications. This update will fix any existing issues in addition to addressing any future application manifest expirations. After you install this item, you may have to restart any running AD RMS enabled applications.

I still don't understand what it means.

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 09:03:40 AM »

There is a good, clear explanation here......http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rights_Management_Services

As HP says, you probably don't want this update............if you system and apps. are all running smoothly now, then I would leave well alone.  :)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 09:09:38 AM »

Right,thanks TD.

Having read the article via the above link,I don't really think it will affect/bother me,so I will not install it.I have also got KB 976002 update which is the browser choice screen update.I shall give that a miss as well. :)

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 09:17:29 AM »

:thumbs:

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 10:06:24 AM »

Just a question while we are on the subject of m/s updates.

I have auto updates set to'Install updates automatically'(recommended)I have never had any problem with this method.
I choose not to install the KB979099 update and just installed 3 Windows Vista updates.I restarted my computer and they were installed ok,but on the shut down button  still had the install windows updates and shutdown the computer icon on the shutdown button,so I unchecked the box 'give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates'This removed the icon from the shutdown button.
Is it ok to just have the important/critical updates and not the recommended ones.

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 10:15:57 AM »

>>> Is it ok to just have the important/critical updates and not the recommended ones. <<<

Yes. The critical ones tend to patch security flaws in the core of the system whilst recommended ones are offered to make for smoother running in peripheral applications or parts of the system and are generally not security related. If your progs etc are running as they should be, leave them be.

To be honest, I have not installed any Microsoft updates/patches for over four years now.....for security I rely on my av, malware progs. and my firewall. No infections or (Microsoft) problems in that time. If any progs. give bother, I look for a fix from the prog. author rather tham Microsoft.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 10:18:09 AM »

That's excellent advice TD,thank you  :)

I only have 3 which I have ignored.

One is to upgrade to IE8, which is 25.3MB.I don't use IE7 so I can't see much point in upgrading. M/S class this as an (important) update.

The second is the browser selection screen,which is not really any use. (important)

And the third is update KB979099 which we discussed above.(recommended)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 10:25:16 AM by UncleUB »

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2010, 10:41:56 AM »

I'm not sure if it excellant advice or not, unkyUb........no doubt others will call me a fool for ignoring Windows updates.
All I can say is that it has worked for me....so far.. :fingers:

This browser selection screen thing worries me a bit.
We all know that in Windows 7, there is no "built in" browser but users are to be given a choice of which browser to install in lieu of IE.
We further already know that Microsoft employ packet sniffers to ensure that only browsers of their choice can access/ read their own websites such as Hotmail.

I reckon then that Microsoft are going to limit the choice of browsers in Win7 to only the three that they approve of, IE, Firefox and Safari.........and let all the others such as Opera go hang.

I wonder if the "browser selection screen" is a precursor of that and if installed ( on any OS) it may kill Opera on your system.

I am further worried by Microsoft's recent tie-up with Yahoo. Because of the situation spoken of above, I moved all my web mail stuff from Hotmail to YahooMail.....but are Microsoft now going to deny YahooMail as well as Hotmail to Opera users. 

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2010, 10:58:45 AM »

Well according to this screen shot,Opera is included

http://blogs.zdnet.com/gadgetreviews/?p=12360

Wonder what Safari browser is like......any thoughts anyone?

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2010, 12:08:56 PM »

Oh, thats good news. Thanks for posting that.  :)

I tried Safari once. To me it was just a basic browser with usual features like tabs, anti-phishing etc. but there did not seem to be special reason for moving to it.
It installs an Apple app. "Bonjour Service" which did not seem to do very much except eat up a bit of RAM and take up space.......and some anti-spyware progs. class it as malware.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2010, 12:39:39 PM »

others will call me a fool for ignoring Windows updates
Put me at the front of that queue.  :'(

There are security flaws easily and regularly exploited by remote hackers that can and will bypass all your "normal" security without you doing anything much other than be connected to the internet.  >:D

anything