Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Changing to a filtered plate?  (Read 6146 times)

jaydog

• Reg Member
Changing to a filtered plate?
« on: December 04, 2010, 12:04:01 AM »

I'm thinking of changing the faceplate on my master socket to one of these filtered ones. Do you just do it to the master socket, not the other extentions?

I'm guessing you also need to buy the tool to do it too, is this expensive?

All in all, how easy is it to do this? I have wires 2 and 5 (bell wire removed) so only 2 wires to sort out.

I also read it was illegal and I could get into trouble if BT ever see it?

Thanks

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Changing to a filtered plate?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 07:39:04 AM »

If you've got an NTE5 master socket (see http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm ) you can legally replace the faceplate, but you mustn't mess with the wires coming into the fixed back part of the socket. Any extensions should be wired into the faceplate, and you can change these as you want.

The proper tool for fixing the wires in the IDC connectors is called a Krone tool, and a genuine one is expensive but there are perfectly good copies such as the "Professional IDC tool" here. Also on that page you'll see a disposable IDC tool which is perfectly adequate for the occasional job, and you can get these in places like Homebase and B&Q.
  Eric

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 07:41:17 AM »

It is not  illegal so long as you do not alter the A B wires in the back of the box and only work on the extension side (your responcibilty).

As for changing it easy and all you need is one of those cheap (50p) plastic tools so long as your wires are long enough.

XTE-2005 guide
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 07:45:04 AM by BritBrat »

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 08:46:55 AM »

I have wires 2 and 5 (bell wire removed) so only 2 wires to sort out.
In that case the only likely outcome is tidyness, you've probably already sorted out any performance issues.

Once properly wired in you can remove all the plug-in filters.

(I'm assuming your router will connect at the master)

jaydog

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 05:15:06 PM »

Is it fairly easy to do then? I don't understand how the filtered faceplate works in terms of plugging an rj11 cable directly into the faceplate?

Which is the best quality faceplate and tool to buy then?

Could this stop the crackling sound I sometimes get on my line, and could it improve broadband speed?

Will I still require a normal adsl filter splitter on my extention upstairs, or do I not need to bother?

Finally, you say not to mess with the wires? When I take the master faceplate off, there are 2 wires wired into the faceplate and a couple of others (maybe the bell wire?), it's these two I need for my new plate right? I couldnt see any other wires so bit confused as to what you mean?

Thanks
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 05:18:48 PM by jaydog »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2010, 06:44:21 PM »

The wires which you mustn't mess with are the incoming wires from the exchange, which should connect into the back of the NTE5 base. The wires connected to the faceplate are yours to do what you want with.

A filtered faceplate has two sockets on the front - a normal telephone socket (for a telephone) and an RJ11 socket for the cable which connects to the router. You don't need ADSL filters on the extension sockets, because they are already filtered in the new faceplate. But if you have a Sky box connected to an extension socket you might benefit from using an extra filter on that socket to improve the filtering of the Sky box.

If you have crackling on the line, a filtered faceplate won't stop it crackling. It's probably a line fault (intermittent, perhaps) and you should try to get that fixed first.

There are several different makes of filtered faceplate, but the ones generally considered to be best are from ADSLNation and Clarity.

For a one-off job like this you might as well use one of the 50p cheapie tools, unless you really want to invest in a professional one.
  Eric

jaydog

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2010, 07:13:30 PM »

Oh, and apparently using a filtered faceplate disables ADSL in the extention socket upstairs? Bit annoying if I ever need to move my router.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2010, 09:44:25 PM »

Hi Jaydog,

Perhaps we could help you a little more if you were to illustrate the filtered faceplate you intend to buy.

Were you to choose the ADSL Nation one, you would find that both phone and ADSL lines are available on different IDC terminals on the back as well as the front sockets.

Kind regards,
Walter

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2010, 09:47:13 PM »

Just use a filter then or run a new cable from the ADSL side of the filtered plate.

And if you do not want to post a very long URL use this code:

[ url=PUT URL HERE]AND TEXT HERE[ /url]
remove spaces before the "url"

Result:

NTE5 master telephone socket and broadband - information
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 09:51:43 PM by BritBrat »