Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Windows Updates  (Read 4532 times)

GT

Windows Updates
« on: August 30, 2007, 04:32:16 PM »

I have just updated XP and now I cant connect via the AOL dialler, so I did a system restore to before I did the update  and it works fine at first and then the problem starts again. All the updates show in Add/remove despite the restore. I have tried to remove them via Add/Remove and it removes the updates but then they all reappear after the reboot.ANy ideas how to get rid of the updates?

Pwiggler

• Kitizen
Re: Windows Updates
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 04:37:15 PM »

gt - wot does it say when u try an connect??  ne errors?
Paul

GT

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 06:11:47 PM »

It sticks on the checking password step then the you are connected box pops up but straight after it the disconnected box pops up. Also, if I have several windows open, instead of the tabs lining up along the taskbar they are now grouped together and I have to scroll through them with up and down arrows on the taskbar

Pwiggler

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 06:58:19 PM »

gt

i cant find nething specific to your prob except this patch:

http://help.aol.co.uk/important-information-for-aol-members-using/article/20060802100509990005

if that dont work then i'd uninstall aol and reinstall it from ya disk u should have or the windows shortcut:

http://help.aol.co.uk/technical/how-do-i-uninstall-my-aol/article/20060802092109990002

paul

Paul

GT

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 07:45:08 PM »

Cheers for your help. Its fixed. Nothing I have done though! Its just working. What I would like to know is are those XP updates still on my pc? They show in Add/Remove progs still despite me having removed them in Add/remove and also having restored to the point prior to the update.

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2007, 12:36:02 AM »

Cheers for your help. Its fixed. Nothing I have done though! Its just working. What I would like to know is are those XP updates still on my pc? They show in Add/Remove progs still despite me having removed them in Add/remove and also having restored to the point prior to the update.

Not sure on this, system restore is a bit phoney/dodgy is this respect, you can never be sure exactly what is backs up and reverts too.

All the same AOL is widely accepted as bein p*ss poor software and hence I encourage people to avoid their products like the plague.  I dont see how "America Online" and their tacky restrictive software and rented products can be benefical to UK consumers. 

anything