Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Broadband Questions  (Read 5660 times)

jaydog

• Reg Member
Re: Broadband Questions
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2010, 07:50:11 PM »

How do I upload the results of the routerstats graph for you to see?

jaydog

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2010, 09:40:43 PM »

Ok, here we go...

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/6167/53505564.jpg - link to a screenshot of routerstats graph

Router info:

System Up Time 07:40:03            

Port           Status           TxPkts           RxPkts           Collisions           Tx B/s           Rx B/s           Up Time             
       WAN           PPPoA           515889           767759           0           1605           38781           07:39:30             
       LAN           10M/100M           12179           0           0           105           0           07:39:59             
      WLAN          11M/54M          803829          547620          0          39538          1786          07:39:49                                

ADSL Link         Downstream         Upstream            
      Connection Speed          3840 kbps          448 kbps             
      Line Attenuation          48 db          14 db             
      Noise Margin          8 db          20 db                              

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2010, 11:46:22 PM »

Hi Jaydog,

Just to give you a few immediate comments, others will no doubt contribute tomorrow.
I expect you realise that the noise graph is far from ideal and that it gets much worse just before 20:40.

Almost certainly there is some electrical plant which starts at that time or, as there are earlier spikes, possibly starts switching much more rapidly then.
Electrical plant could also include loose wiring connectors.
It will be worth experimenting with the modem in the master socket with a short screened RJ11 lead and all DECT phones as far away as possible.
With Routerstats running, you can try eliminating your own equipment by switching electrical circuits off in turn at the consumer unit, except for that one powering the modem.
It would also help if you could get at least one 24 hour period of Routerstats.

N.B. you should not turn your modem on and off too frequently as that can affect the synchronisation speed in some circumstances.

Note also that your connection speed estimate (on a clean line) is around 5,000 Kbps with your attenuation of 48 dB in this calculator.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php

Kind regards,
Walter

jaydog

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2010, 12:58:40 AM »

Thanks, the maximum BT say is 4mb.

The thing is, even if it is my cordless phone, I need it so can't get rid of it.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2010, 08:06:22 AM »

Tbh BT will do very little as you are well within their exceptable speed range for your line.You are not on your own,and believe me their are still thousands of users who are lucky to get a fraction of the speeds you are getting

REIN is very difficult to pinpoint and eliminate.It could your equipment.your neighbours,street lighting,factory equipment,farm equipment etc,etc.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2010, 08:41:29 AM »

Hi Jaydog,

Uncle UB is absolutely correct.

Re your DECT phone, which I doubt  is the cause as that would be unlikely to produce such regular spikes, there is nothing preventing you plugging the base station into an extension socket well away from the modem and master socket.
(Note that in free space {which doesn't actually exist} the signal strength reduces according to a square law so you can reduce the effects of a transmitter quite significantly by increasing the distance between it and the receiver.)

Kind regards,
Walter
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 08:45:52 AM by waltergmw »

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2010, 12:50:30 PM »

Crazy idea :-\ :baby:

but could it be with something like your/ someone's TV or PVR being used?

jaydog

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2010, 02:08:21 PM »

I can hold on to sync, but I just can't sync to my usual over 4000. I have tried the above steps with no luck.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2010, 03:11:12 PM »

If you still see a similar pattern of noise with the router connected to the test socket, then the noise is external and you may not be able to do anything about it. If there's audible noise on the phone (dial 17070 and choose option 2 - quiet line test) then you can report it as a voice fault - dial 151 if you pay your line rental to BT. But if the line is quiet then it's very likely to be a factory or something similar sending out interference which is picked up by the telephone line. The level of interference isn't high enough to be easily traced unfortunately.
  Eric

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2010, 07:11:04 PM »

Hi

The expected synch rate for your connection with an Attenuation of 
 Line Attenuation          48 db   

should be around 5300 Kbps with the default Target SNR margin of 6db, so it looks as if you have NOT actually ever had the optimum connection for your line if as you said  were connecting at 4000Kbps previously .

It looks as if your Target SNR margin may well be around 9db as it is displaying around 8db on your last stats .This could be because your line has been unstable at some point . One thing to remember is not to keep rebooting the router as it may then appear to be unstable.

What is your router ?

If possible can you set up the telnet option in RS then you can show your full router statistics something like attached below . This may give an indication of the level of errors

Regards Jeff

[attachment deleted by admin]
zen user

jaydog

• Reg Member
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2010, 11:14:31 PM »

My router is Netgear DG834G v3.

How do I set up the telnet option?

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2010, 06:12:35 PM »

Hi
   Click the config Button .
   Click telnet
   Select your router version

Click "apply and save "

You can now come out of config

Back on the main page select "telnet router"
Another row of buttons will appear The "summary" is the one showing most of the stats .
 Regards Jeff

zen user

jaydog

• Reg Member
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2010, 01:09:16 AM »

Hi
   Click the config Button .
   Click telnet
   Select your router version

Click "apply and save "

You can now come out of config

Back on the main page select "telnet router"
Another row of buttons will appear The "summary" is the one showing most of the stats .
 Regards Jeff

Where do I do this?! Within the router page???

jaydog

• Reg Member
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2010, 10:54:42 PM »

I did the quiet line test as when on the phone sometimes, it has a tendancy to crackle. It was doing it tonight, so plugged into the test socket and nothing, but then when plugged in normally it had stopped doing it aswell so I dunno.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2010, 09:57:22 AM »

As a some what :baby: in these matters! :)

You have evidence that the extension crackles intermittently, but none that the test socket does.

My question is how long the phone was in the test: I'd be inclined to leave it sometime.
Pages: 1 [2] 3

anything