Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Short line low speed :(  (Read 6636 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Short line low speed :(
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2010, 01:51:28 PM »

That looks very much like the sort of interference you might get from a nearby factory which uses electrical machinery. Perhaps the factory runs all day and night, but has increased activity when the day shift starts up at 08:00.
  Eric

marshalln

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2010, 03:16:45 PM »

Factories, what are they? Cows and chainsaws are what we have around here and I suppose nearby washing machines etc. We might have a few computers in the village businesses.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2010, 05:49:43 PM »

Hi marshalln,

But there are likely to be 11 Kv if not 33 Kv transformers, switchgear etc. all of which can arc very nicely especially if there are faulty or broken insulators.
Have a look after dark now the moon is very small and low.

Do you have any ham radio operators or other wireless devices such as diesel tank level gauges.

This all boils down to a need for a thorough REIN investigation.

Kind regards,
Walter

marshalln

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2010, 01:13:02 PM »

I asked that my call be escalated to somebody who understood line issues and this is what I have just received from Orange Support. Anybody got any suggestions on how to progress, rather than accept that there is a potential line fault that Orange can't do anything about?
"
As you were receiving consistant speeds of 6 meg a few months ago then congestion or a line degradation is the reason for the fall in speed, variations in signal to noise ratio makes one suspect that line degradation is the problem, unfortunately both are out of our control as it is not our network.

If you are receiving broadband at 2 meg then you are receiving the best BT can offer, although we would like to we cannot change this decision.

If you have any further queries then please do not hesitate to get in contact with us again.
"

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2010, 01:52:15 PM »

As Orange and BT are now "in bed" together, whether it's LLU or IPStream, Orange do have the ability to problem-solve although they will still say otherwise rather than initiate an investigation.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2010, 02:16:26 PM »

If they're typical of the other 'unhelpful ISPs, then they may well have some competent techies who would be able to investigate the problem, or ask BT to do so.  The trouble is, they're not accessible to users.  The people answering the phone for many ISPs have only been trained in basic stuff, like talking you through the GUI configurations.  They simply do not know, and do not understand, the first thing about line conditions and parameters.

Orange will undoubtably have a formal complaints procedure.  You could try submitting a formal complaint, stating that your line should be capable of doing much better, and reasons for inadequacy has not been properly diagnosed.  That did the trick for me a couple of years ago, when faced with another ISP's helpdesk that had simply never heard of a target margin.

Even if the complaint gets you nowhere, which is quite likely, at least you can then approach Ofcom (or whatever they are nowadays), stating that you have exhausted all attempts to resolve the matter through the companies own complaints procedure.

facsi

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2010, 03:15:53 PM »

I had this problem here. I had to change my house cableing to fix. my snr was around 8 with dropouts and its around 20 fixed with new cables.

marshalln

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2010, 03:20:08 PM »

Facsi, how did you diagnose, was it when you tested using an ADSL filter connected to the Test Socket on the BT Master socket?

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2010, 07:09:14 PM »

Hi
quote  Next steps turn everything bar the router off in the house and see if that makes any difference, then talk to a friendly neighbour and see if they'll let me do some RouterStats from their system, or even borrow a route for an hour!

Have carried out these  tests .what sort of results have you had ?

Regards Jeff
zen user

marshalln

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2010, 08:47:49 AM »

quote  Next steps turn everything bar the router off in the house and see if that makes any difference, then talk to a friendly neighbour and see if they'll let me do some RouterStats from their system, or even borrow a route for an hour!

Have carried out these  tests .what sort of results have you had ?

When I turned everything off there was no difference with the SNR M bouncing +- 10dB or so. My neighbour is taking some readings over this week so I'll pick them up at the weekend.

I didn't have a filter that would enable me to use the BT Master Socket test port, but I'll try to source one as well so that I can rule out the home telephone wiring.

marshalln

« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2010, 12:34:51 PM »

Having tested from the BT Master socket using a DSL filter on the test socket, it was not found to have any significant effect. There was an immediate drift up in the SNRM (of about 5db) as the home wiring was isolated from the system, but over time the average db was not significantly different from normal. The same was noted when I switched back to the standard set up with a 5db drift down in SNRM but over time no significant change.

My neighbour has supplied some figures he noted down over the week with his SNRM apparently around 10db +- 2db, i.e much more stable than I have noted, but with drop in b/w down to 1.5Mbps on occasion.

And on the other side another neighbour says he routinely gets 6+Mbps with dips down to 4Mbps.

I think this all points to an external issue. The only significant power users are potentially a water company pump, used to pump the surface water up a slope into the main drainage system and the nearest electricity transformer is a small unit half way up the estate, all cables are buried and no arcing or any noise is evident from that unit.

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2010, 07:57:51 PM »

Hi

quote : There was an immediate drift up in the SNRM(of about 5db)

was it a step change  or was it a gradual change  ???

any chance of having RS running during your test so that the results can be interpreted ?

quote : My neighbour has supplied some figures he noted down over the week with his SNRM apparently around 10db +- 2db, i.e much more stable than I have noted, but with drop in b/w down to 1.5Mbps on occasion.**

Depending on how the change happens this is quite normal SNR Margin will generally fluctuate during the 24 hour period depending on the amount of general noise there is on the line.

**  don't quite understand this last bit

quote :And on the other side another neighbour says he routinely gets 6+Mbps with dips down to 4Mbps.

I take it he means that sometimes when he re-synchs, it is only re-synching at 4Mbps. This again is dependant on when he re-synchs a re-synch during "Busy" period will result in lower synch rate than a re-synch during quiet periods .

I do not think you can draw any firm conclusions from those 2 sets of information. 

Regards Jeff
zen user

marshalln

« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2010, 09:06:18 AM »

Runstats attached. Started using the test sockect Nov 20 15:10, finished 19:12.

I suspect my neighbours do not do anything with their routers from month to month, so any changes in speed will be due to an automated router/exchange line speed renegotiation. Typically the first neighbour gets around 4Mbps but, as I said, sometimes it drops down to 1.5Mbps, ditto the other neighbour who says he gets between 6-4Mbps.

I take it from your need for clarification that your signal is constant over time, unless you perform a physical re-sync, this is not the case from my experience.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Pages: 1 [2]

anything