Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: weird SNR problem  (Read 3118 times)

houseparty

weird SNR problem
« on: November 22, 2010, 06:33:08 PM »

Hello, ive just joined this forum, Ive been reading here for a while now, so thought it was about time i joined.

Ive been having some really weird problems with my internet.

I have lived at this house since it was built which is about 15 years now ,and never really had any problems with the internet, i know im never going to get great internet speeds at this house, due to have a line att of 55.

The problem i have is my SNR seems to be all over the place, if i reboot the router at day time the SNR is 6db but it climbs at night time to anything up to 12 db, then during the early morning say about 6 to 7 o clock, the noise margin will go down to close to 0 db, this happens every day.

I often get a disconnection when this happens, BT have been here twice now, and have tried a few things without success, my ISP and BT wholesale says they can see noise on my line, so i was started running routerstats problem, and sure enough its showing the noise margin being unstable and climbing at night.

My question is is there a fault on the line, or just some interference I'm not going to cure, the problem is these disconnections are playing havoc with the profile, it keeps dropping and dropping, until i asked bt to cap it, until some kind of cure is found.

this is a picture from routerstats taken during the day
http://img690.imageshack.us/i/29700934.jpg/

this one taken as soon as it gets dark
http://img413.imageshack.us/i/65618628.jpg/

thanks for any help.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 10:11:40 PM by houseparty »

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: weird SNR problem
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 06:45:02 PM »

Hi,

and welcome to the forum.  

This sounds like a situation where Routerstats may help if your router's compatible, as it plots a graph of SNRM over time.  If you've been watching the forums, you'll probably know all about it.   If you can get some RS plots I'll probably defer to other helpers, as I don't use RS a great deal myself.   Meanwhile -  for most people, the SNRM is best in the daytime and worst by night.  One reason for that is the improved propagation of low frequency (AM) radio in the hours of darkness.

But your's seems to be doing the opposite, best SNMR by night, the worse in daylight?  So you may have to start thinking about what interference sources could be worse by day than at night.  Possible candidates might be your own, or your neighbours', central heating or perhaps any nearby industrial premises.

If - as is likely - a source of interference is coming from beyond your home then there may be little you can do to stop it.  However, you can make your router less sensitive to interference, which may also solve the problem, by improving your wiring.  

See here:  http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm

- 7LM

PS:  OOps sorry, you already include RS plots.    Time for 7LM to turn make his hot cocoa and retire for the night, it seems.  My other comments still apply, though.  :D

« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 06:48:54 PM by sevenlayermuddle »

houseparty

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 06:52:02 PM »

thanks for the reply.
I have nothing in the master socket, its connected directly to the router and a DECT phone (which i have  disconnected , but problem still happening)

Ive tried 3 different routers, also moved the router in case that helps (but it hasn't sadly) I'm not use if this is a line problem or not.

If i cant cure this then ill have to live with it, but its the not knowing that is doing my head in, Im going to run routerstats on my neighbours P.C tomorrow to see if her line is picking this interference up.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 06:56:34 PM by houseparty »

houseparty

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 08:30:08 PM »

just had another drop, router rebooted on its own , router now showing 9 db.
picture showing the drop

http://img253.imageshack.us/i/37366814.jpg/
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 10:11:17 PM by houseparty »

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 09:53:31 PM »

I can't seem to open any of the links you posted... is that just me?  That said, your description of the problem seems quite clear so the links may not be needed.

I have nothing in the master socket, its connected directly to the router and a DECT phone (which i have  disconnected , but problem still happening)

Can I just confirm that, by the above, you are saying there is no extension wiring at all, regardless of whether any other phones are connected?  Connecting the router to the master won't help, if there is still any (imperfect) extension wiring connected.   My hunch is you know that already, but I thought it worth clarifying.

I'd normally also suggest listening for audible noise on the line (if a BT line, use the quiet line test on 17070), and I'd suggest taking the phone off-hook to see if it affects the SNRM.  Both would suggest a line fault either in your home or beyond it, but if BT have been out to see you then they really ought to have found anything like that, so it seems unlikely.  Still, it costs nothing to check for yourself...

- 7LM

PS That cocoa wakened me up a bit.  Now, where's that nice bottle of malt whisky that I hid from the relatives...?

houseparty

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 10:04:59 PM »

the reason the links don't open is because you need to add http, sorry about that.(changed it now)

I have done a quite tests no noise is heard on the phone itself.

Ill try the other things like taking the phone off the hook, the 2nd bt man went to the exchange, and did say he thought it would be worth doing a lift and shift, however my ISP don't think its the problem, as Ive had these problems for a about 6 months now) and they recently changed me over to adsl 2, they tell me a shift and lift would of been done when i moved over from adsl 1 to adsl 2.

This problem was happening on both adsl 1 and adsl 2.

The only thing i have in the master socket is the router cable(adsl nation pro2 cable) and the DECT phone, there are no extension wires at all.

The only thing that makes me wonder if i do have a line fault is my ISP says the noise comes in bursts,so two things on that point, one is both BT men tell me they cant do a woosh test, but my ISP is doing some test, so i guess that is what they are doing.

The other thing is if the noise in is bursts it might be there was no bursts when they came here.
No noise is heard on the quite line test, just checked that again.

thanks
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 10:19:26 PM by houseparty »

houseparty

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 05:12:32 PM »

Hi.
Ive been working on this problem since i posted.
I have now noticed a pattern to when i noise margin drops.

Lets start from 7 in the morning, the noise download margin is showing as 9 db, this has been stable for over 12 hours.
Then at around 8 .55 the noise margin goes down to about 4.5 db, and stays there until around 12.00, then around 12.30 it drops again to 4.5 db.

It then stays around that kind of figure until 16.50 then it goes back to 9 db.

I still don't know where this noise  is coming from, but the hours of the noise margin moving around, seem to be working hour times, and the fact we have one or two large buildings around our estate backs this up as well.

Can anything be done, either via BT or is there anything i can buy to stop this from happening.

Thanks

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 07:33:25 PM »

Hi

The image 690 of your RS SNR is actually very good as far as general nois eis concerned  .What it does show is that there is something switching on and running for sometime creating about 6db noise .then 20 minutes later switching of the SNR margin partially recovers then the cycle appears to repeat ***. Image 143 speaks for itself nice and quiet and stable .Image 253 loss of synch and resynch with lower SNR Margin (9.4db)  :) .This could have been the DSlam /DLM  forcing a resynch, notice that the synch rate went up by about 600K to 3685 from  ~3071Kbps     . Previously it looked as if your Target SNR Margin was 12db ,it could now be 9db

*** Could you run RS  to show say about 24Hrs on One page . Some thing like sampling every 20second and 5000 plots per page .This would help to get a real feel for the apparent equipment switching .

Regards Jeff

zen user

houseparty

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2010, 07:47:57 PM »

hi thanks for the reply.
ive been looking for a way of showing the reults over 1 one day period how do i do that, i can leave the p.c running, but i cant get the results to show the whole day, unless i do it in a few hours at a time

yes might of been a DSlam  forcing a resynch.

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2010, 08:06:42 PM »

hi

you can configure the Graphs

Click on  Configure button  , top left hand button
click on Graphs
       in Sample box select 20 second
       in points per page select 5000

click apply and save .
see attached