Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Why the changes?  (Read 1638 times)

renluop

• Kitizen
Why the changes?
« on: November 24, 2010, 11:40:51 AM »

Until recently my sync was in the 7xxx Kb range that gave me an IP profile 6000/6500 with 46/7 dB attenuation and 6/6.5 noise margin.

Of late I have, when BT are fiddling >:D ;D, I have turned the router off overnight. The syncs have been at 8500Kb+ even as high as 9300 Kb with no changes in attenuation and noise margin.

The last two days, however, sync has continued very high, attenuation unchanged, but noise margin starts off ~3.5dB. Of course come nighttime there are drops and resyncs.

Not of major inconvenience now, but  what might be cause of sudden low SNR in day, and in any case why has the router taken to such high syncs on a just on 3km line (likely road route via cab)?

Router 585 v7

[attachment deleted by admin]

jeffbb

• Kitizen
Re: Why the changes?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 07:06:13 PM »

Hi

quote Of late I have, when BT are fiddling Evil Grin, I have turned the router off overnight. The syncs have been at 8500Kb+ even as high as 9300 Kb with no changes in attenuation and noise margin.

But your present SNR Margin is ~3db . Attenuation is NOT expected to change

quote : why has the router taken to such high syncs on a just on 3km line (likely road route via cab)?

With the normal default SNR Margin of 6 db you could expect to connect at about 7200Kbps wich tie up with your original info , with only 3db SNR margin you are gaining Synch rate , it can be as much as 1200kbps for the 3db decrease in SNR Margin.which would give you about 8400Kbps ,this is shown in your present stats . The problem as you have discovered is that the improved synch rate has come at the expense of stability  :(

Why you are synching with such low SNR margin I am not sure ,I take it you are not tweaking your SNR margin ? using something like Routerstats or DMT

Regards Jeff

zen user

renluop

• Kitizen
Re: Why the changes?
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 10:19:49 PM »

With the TG585 V7 you can't tweak.

4hrs50 down to 7833kbps; noise 3.5 now.

The high syncs as I said happened with the margin maintained until Tuesday. It was only later that the margin decreased,
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 10:24:25 PM by renluop »

anything